Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

I've been gluten-free 5 weeks...

I have read that it takes 2 or 3 months to finally clear on a gluten-free diet. I've been on this diet 5 weeks. For those curious, my skin has improved about 12% so far. I know this because I am still taking my HCl capsules with protein. The HCl cleared my skin by 80%, but 20% of the acne still remained. Although my huge infections were gone on the HCl, I had deep pores on a cheeks that would refill every week and between my eyebrows.

5 weeks on a gluten-free diet and the pores on my cheeks are no longer deep. Their size has shrunk and they slightly refill a little every week. The same applies to the pores between my eyebrows. I'm still taking 7 pills of 650mg HCl with each meal of protein, so I'll be able to measure when the gluten-clears my skin even more and when I can reduce my dosage.

In fact, I did forget to take my HCl pills with one serving of protein a week ago. I thought, "OH NO!!!!!!! INFECTIONS!!!" But, surprisingly, the breakout wasn't as bad as it used to be. My lips also used to dry up and break open when I touched protein and that didn't happen at all. I only had a small infection and clogged pores. My skin wasn't that flaky.

So I know there is a definite improvement. :)

Edited by Dotty1

I have read that it takes 2 or 3 months to finally clear on a gluten-free diet. I've been on this diet 5 weeks. For those curious, my skin has improved about 12% so far. I know this because I am still taking my HCl capsules with protein. The HCl cleared my skin by 80%, but 20% of the acne still remained. Although my huge infections were gone on the HCl, I had deep pores on a cheeks that would refill every week and between my eyebrows.

5 weeks on a gluten-free diet and the pores on my cheeks are no longer deep. Their size has shrunk and they slightly refill a little every week. The same applies to the pores between my eyebrows. I'm still taking 7 pills of 650mg HCl with each meal of protein, so I'll be able to measure when the gluten-clears my skin even more and when I can reduce my dosage.

In fact, I did forget to take my HCl pills with one serving of protein a week ago. I thought, "OH NO!!!!!!! INFECTIONS!!!" But, surprisingly, the breakout wasn't as bad as it used to be. My lips also used to dry up and break open when I touched protein and that didn't happen at all. I only had a small infection and clogged pores. My skin wasn't that flaky.

So I know there is a definite improvement. :)

I went gluten free for 3 months with no improvementl, i wasn't taking HCL either. Hope it works for you!

A few years ago, I did a gluten-free diet for four months too with no improvement. I think I only see the improvement now because I have HCl tablets which got rid of the WORST problems, so the small improvements are more visible.

I highly suggest getting sensitivity tests done at EnterLab.com -- for gluten, yeast, dairy, egg, soy. It makes it so much easier.

Edited by Dotty1

Glad it's helping you! Gluten free cleared me up a whole bunch since I have moderate/severe Celiac disease, and a lot of people are at least mildly sensitive to gluten. Plus, cutting out most of the grains in your diet is bound to help.

One thing to remember with food sensitivity is that if you have them, you're more likely to suffer from malabsorption, which is why HCL probably helped so much. You might also consider adding blended green smoothies into your diet for a super-boost of nutrients. These helped my skin (and overall health) improve amazingly, sot just by clearing most of my acne, but also making my skin look almost "normal"; not as red and drastically fewer scars.

I want to paste this pesto sauce we made in the blender. It is SO good poured over rice.

Pesto Recipe

2 basil plants (or about 6 cups packed fresh basil leaves)

8 cloves garlic

2 tsp salt

2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

1.5 cups olive oil

2/3 cup lemon juice

3 tbsp parsley

1.3 cups macadamia nuts

DELICIOUS!!!

Edited by Dotty1

LOL - Well I had been laying in bed and thinking how much my skin had improved while on the gluten-free diet. I thought the improvement was between 10% and 15%. So I went with the middle number. ;)

Hahaha after reading the first post my first thought was "how does someone come up with 12%" too.