Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So here's the story...

I did great in HS, was always on top of my homework and never failed a class. Mostly got A's and B's.

I took a year off before college thinking that it help give my mind a break. I started in the fall and ended up doing poorly. I got two C's, failed one class, and got a P in my pass fail class. I ended up on academic probation. This current semester I told myself I'd do much better and try and get all A's. Well that isn't going well. I just have no motivation to do my assignments or anything school related. I've also missed several classes. I just hate school so much and I feel anxiety whenever I'm forced to speak in front of class and stuff like that. I get paranoid that people are looking at me and about what they think of me. I really wish I would of just went the vocational route because this isn't working out at all. I want to do my school work and I want good grades, but I can't bring myself to do that for some reason. I have no focus or motivation and I know that is such a lame excuse, but it's bad. I feel like a complete loser and a failure. I feel as if my teacher think the same thing as I'm missed a lot of class. I wanting to just withdraw entirely right now. That would result in suspension, though, since I would have a 0% completion rate after being on probation. But I just don't know how much of this I can handle anymore.

I can't believe where I've ended up. I always pictured myself doing so well in college, because I was such a good student in HS. I just don't understand what happened to me.

So here's the story...

I did great in HS, was always on top of my homework and never failed a class. Mostly got A's and B's.

I took a year off before college thinking that it help give my mind a break. I started in the fall and ended up doing poorly. I got two C's, failed one class, and got a P in my pass fail class. I ended up on academic probation. This current semester I told myself I'd do much better and try and get all A's. Well that isn't going well. I just have no motivation to do my assignments or anything school related. I've also missed several classes. I just hate school so much and I feel anxiety whenever I'm forced to speak in front of class and stuff like that. I get paranoid that people are looking at me and about what they think of me. I really wish I would of just went the vocational route because this isn't working out at all. I want to do my school work and I want good grades, but I can't bring myself to do that for some reason. I have no focus or motivation and I know that is such a lame excuse, but it's bad. I feel like a complete loser and a failure. I feel as if my teacher think the same thing as I'm missed a lot of class. I wanting to just withdraw entirely right now. That would result in suspension, though, since I would have a 0% completion rate after being on probation. But I just don't know how much of this I can handle anymore.

I can't believe where I've ended up. I always pictured myself doing so well in college, because I was such a good student in HS. I just don't understand what happened to me.

What is causing your depression or you just are and dont know why?

I'm also a freshman, and in the same situation. The depression, coupled with regular thoughts of suicide, have led towards massive burnout towards the last couple of months, and I'm barely holding on. At least university ends in a month.

I predicted this would happen before the year started though, so I took the five easiest bird courses possible at my university. I'm so embarassed now to show anyone my timetable. Well that's just another thing on the list to be ashamed of I guess...

In your case, I suggest you immediately withdraw from all courses right now so that it doesn't effect your CGPA. Don't withdraw if it will leave you with F's however. Then take a year off, spend it trying to get your acne healed or whatever's causing you to feel like this, and then continue with life.

I'm also a freshman, and in the same situation. The depression, coupled with regular thoughts of suicide, have led towards massive burnout towards the last couple of months, and I'm barely holding on. At least university ends in a month.

I predicted this would happen before the year started though, so I took the five easiest bird courses possible at my university. I'm so embarassed now to show anyone my timetable. Well that's just another thing on the list to be ashamed of I guess...

In your case, I suggest you immediately withdraw from all courses right now so that it doesn't effect your CGPA. Don't withdraw if it will leave you with F's however. Then take a year off, spend it trying to get your acne healed or whatever's causing you to feel like this, and then continue with life.

Well, I can withdraw without it affecting my GPA up unitl the beginning of April. Like I said, I would be on Academic Suspension, though, as I'm already on probation for failing a class last semester and doing sub-par in the others. But I do want to take time off from school, as I really need to figure my whole situation out, otherwise I'm just going to keep having problems. I'm just worried about what my family and friends will think of me if I do that because like I said, I will be on suspension.

Well, I can withdraw without it affecting my GPA up unitl the beginning of April. Like I said, I would be on Academic Suspension, though, as I'm already on probation for failing a class last semester and doing sub-par in the others. But I do want to take time off from school, as I really need to figure my whole situation out, otherwise I'm just going to keep having problems. I'm just worried about what my family and friends will think of me if I do that because like I said, I will be on suspension.

You can withdraw until the beginning of April? What university are you at?

You need to take your future plans into account. Do you really need a high GPA upon graduation for professional or grad school? If so, I suggest you withdraw right now and take the year off. How long is your suspension anyways (I assume it's one year)?

If you don't care about GPA, I suggest you finish the year with a GPA that will put you back in good standing (which isn't very high, should be around 1.50 if your school is anything like mine), and then decide how you want to continue. If you know you can't achieve good standing, then just withdraw.

Just...don't mess up your transcript now at a time when you're feeling vulnerable, because it will bite you in the years ahead.

takes the withdrawals. its better than getting a D or F. I know plenty of people who have hella Ws and transfer to a 4-year school easily. the D or F is the worst thing to get b/c you can never removed them from your transcripts even if u do academic forgiveness, schools can still see that the first grade if you do repeat a course.

i can relate, i had great grades in high school, college was ok started to go down a bit and i was so dpressed cuz of my acne (among other things) that i switched to distance ed and did courses at home. It helped a bit but it depends a lot on the kind of person you are. If you're outgoing, then i would suggest you take time off school altogether and focus more on getting your confidence back...dont worry about your friends and family, they GET those titles because they will love and support you unconditionally and if it helps you in the longer run then its completely worth it. On the other hand if ud like to remain consistently in school now then u can consider distance ed and do the courses at an easier pace without dealing with people TOO much.

You can withdraw until the beginning of April? What university are you at?

You need to take your future plans into account. Do you really need a high GPA upon graduation for professional or grad school? If so, I suggest you withdraw right now and take the year off. How long is your suspension anyways (I assume it's one year)?

If you don't care about GPA, I suggest you finish the year with a GPA that will put you back in good standing (which isn't very high, should be around 1.50 if your school is anything like mine), and then decide how you want to continue. If you know you can't achieve good standing, then just withdraw.

Just...don't mess up your transcript now at a time when you're feeling vulnerable, because it will bite you in the years ahead.

I'm in community college. So that's probably why. I don't think I need a super high GPA, but I'm not exactly what I want to do yet so I could. Suspension is only a semester I think.

It's just that school is putting sooo much extra stress on my life right now. I just cannot handle really handle it. Like I said, I have ZERO motivation right now and I can no focus on school for the life of me. I already kinda effed it up first semester and I don't want to do that again. So what's worse suspension or semi-bad grades?

Funniest thing.....I read the first few words of your post which were "I'm also a freshman" then I glanced over at your avatar...Funny... Cuz for a second I thought it was a real pic of you

Go to every class and pay attention....take good notes. Sounds simple...but doing that will bump you at least 1 letter grade in your GPA

Go to every class and pay attention....take good notes. Sounds simple...but doing that will bump you at least 1 letter grade in your GPA

wow thx man!!! omg i never even thought of this. now i will have a 4.0 and it's all thx 2 u!!!!!!

Regarding the OP...well CC is CC... I assume all you want to do is graduate and just get the diploma. It doesn't really matter; I would just go on suspension, get your problem solved, and then return back to your life.

So here's the story...

Maybe you're just not studying something you're really interested in? If I were you, I would withdraw, take a year off to really try and find out what you want to study. If you're not motivated, its probably because you're studying the wrong thing.

I'm like you in a way, I was also top in high school. actually i did well in college too, but i HATED what i was studying, so i took a semester off. then i transferred to art school after spending the summer/ semester off doing art. i'm really lucky it worked out like that, but seriously.. don't think its you thats the problem!! you will be motivated when you find something you really love to do.

I want to do it, but I just am kind scared to go through with the withdrawals. I have class early tomorrow, and I feel like I'm just wasting my time even trying to go if I'm going to end up withdrawing in the next few weeks.

wow thx man!!! omg i never even thought of this. now i will have a 4.0 and it's all thx 2 u!!!!!!

Regarding the OP...well CC is CC... I assume all you want to do is graduate and just get the diploma. It doesn't really matter; I would just go on suspension, get your problem solved, and then return back to your life.

Hahahahahhaahha. I'm not the one failing out of school smart asssssssss.

If you do what I said.....it's almost impossible to do bad in school. You'll at least do average....unless you're really dumb. Then I just feel sorry for you.

Do what you have to do. I'll tell you my story which is really the opposite to yours....

I fukd around so much in high school, got high just about everyday then just ditched my last year of hs bcoz of my cystic acne. The following year i took a whole damn year off to sort myself out which included taking accutane which stopped me from getting cysts.

So after that year i decided i wanted to study again even though i completely flunked out of hs and did a foundation course at university and i struggled, as you would expect from a hs druggie/dropout, but it all came down to me wanting to get ahead in life and i passed in the end. I am now doing a diploma and averaging 85% which puts me in a healthy position to push for a Bachelor's Degree.

I am now 21, but even though I know I am chronologically behind in academic progress have set out on a journey that will inevitably lead to success and it all comes down to what are your highest priorities in life.

Hahahahahhaahha. I'm not the one failing out of school smart asssssssss.

If you do what I said.....it's almost impossible to do bad in school. You'll at least do average....unless you're really dumb. Then I just feel sorry for you.

Where did I say I was failing? I will graduate first year with a 4.0 from Canada's top university. Yeah, it's with easy courses, but I think that cancels out with what I'm going through atm.

EDIT: Ahhh...elitism on Acne.org. I love it.

Edited by Beautiful Day

right here son.

edit: you're the one who started with the smart ass comments

Edited by Dysic

Man, I'm so stuck right now. I can either stay with it and attempt to do my best and maybe do sem-decent, but might also end up f*cking things up again. I can tell myself I will do all my work and study, but it doesn't mean that will happen. Like I said my motivation is almost non-existent right now. And I hate that, but I don't really feel it changing right now. Like I'm so completely focused on the way I look that it consumes me. I get so depressed about it sometimes. But thinking about withdrawing and being suspended makes me feel like a complete failure and worthless and stuff. Ah, I'm so stuck.

A similiar thing happened to me last year, first semester i did really good, 2nd semester i did shit since i started new acne meds and started breaking out like crazy, went to like 10% of my classes. Luckily i only failed one subject. I'm planning to do good again this year, I still got tones of redmarks and shit but you got to let your looks not consume you so much. I dont understand why you're so depressed about your looks though? Like others that have seen your pics, you are seriously good looking, and your skin looks like it ranges from none-mild?

Man, I'm so stuck right now. I can either stay with it and attempt to do my best and maybe do sem-decent, but might also end up f*cking things up again. I can tell myself I will do all my work and study, but it doesn't mean that will happen. Like I said my motivation is almost non-existent right now. And I hate that, but I don't really feel it changing right now. Like I'm so completely focused on the way I look that it consumes me. I get so depressed about it sometimes. But thinking about withdrawing and being suspended makes me feel like a complete failure and worthless and stuff. Ah, I'm so stuck.

It sounds to me like you're simply just not into it. If nothing really interests you for a career yet, or in general... it's going to be very hard to focus. Is there a way you can afford to travel a little? It doesn't have to be over seas or anything. Just drive around for a while... see what's out there. You can always come back. I drove around for over a year when I was younger. It was awesome. As you get older and have bills and stuff, it gets very difficult to do something like that. Maybe now is the time for you. I wouldn't worry at all what other people think. It's your life, not theirs. Sometimes you just have to do what your gut tells you. Things have a way of working out one way or another.

I say withdraw for the semester. Don't force yourself to do something and build up all these negative emotions that your going to associate with school. Take half a year off or a year, however much time you need. Think about what you want to do in life, it'll give you the motivation you need.

I say this because I had the same problem with motivation my first semester of junior year of HS, I was taking all AP and honors classes. For my second semester I dropped down into regular classes in all but two of my classes. It felt amazing, like a break from life. I've always wanted to be a Vet, so I focused on that goal.

Summer came and I just relaxed, hung out with friends, played lacrosse, volunteered at the humane society, everything I like. There would be days when I'd just sit on my porch and zone out. I'm a senior now, i'm back in all AP classes and i'm not having any of the problems I was. Idk if it's as simple of a fix for you, but the best thing to do is just give yourself a breather.

Goodluck.

So I ended up withdrawing. I feel really bad about it, but it's probably for the best right now. I still feel like a loser, though. One thing that is conflicting me right now is work. I have my availability around my school schedule right now. Now that I'm not going to school I want to be able to have open availability, but no way in hell do I want to tell them that cause they'd be like what about your school? And I'd be forced to tell them I dropped out. I really don't want to tell them that. So my other option is wait a month and half more and pretend I'm still going to school I guess. I feel bad doing that but I can't bring myself to tell my them I dropped out cause everyone there knows I'm going to school and they'd be asking me about it and I'd feel stupid.

So I ended up withdrawing. I feel really bad about it, but it's probably for the best right now. I still feel like a loser, though. One thing that is conflicting me right now is work. I have my availability around my school schedule right now. Now that I'm not going to school I want to be able to have open availability, but no way in hell do I want to tell them that cause they'd be like what about your school? And I'd be forced to tell them I dropped out. I really don't want to tell them that. So my other option is wait a month and half more and pretend I'm still going to school I guess. I feel bad doing that but I can't bring myself to tell my them I dropped out cause everyone there knows I'm going to school and they'd be asking me about it and I'd feel stupid.

i know how you feel, i dropped out of college a week ago, and i havent told anyone at home or my friends