Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm really surprised not a lot of people know about Silk Naturals makeup.

Here's the basic idea: you get some white base powder in original, medium, or heavy coverage. Then you get some dark pigment that will work with your skin shade. It comes to your house, you follow the instructions on the pamphlet, use the little scooper that comes with it, and mix up your shade. Your EXACT shade.

There foundation formulas are extremely simple, and look amazingly natural on your skin. They don't have a lot of oil control, but Silk Naturals sells some awesome powder primers and oil controllers.

The best part of this is the FREEDOM. You decide what you want from the makeup and what you don't. You can add a bit of primer powder to your formula to add oil control, you can mix it with a moisturizer to tint it.

Plus, Silk Naturals is a nice, small company. You can go on their forums and ask anything, even post a picture of yourself to ask what pigment you should use in your formula. They have low shipping (really low), ship fast, and give you free samples of eye colors/etc. with your order.

Check them out, guys :)

Bump?

I'll add a little more if the previous stuff wasn't enough to convince you ^_^

I'm not a spammer, I swear! I just really love this stuff and I wanted to spread the word :)

Here's the link to the site:

http://host.silknaturals.com/creb/index.php

Basically, the best thing about this makeup is how natural it looks on your skin. It's really finely milled and contains silk powder.

Silk Powder:

-Gives the minerals a smoother finish

-Is anti-bacterial

-Is anti-inflammatory

-Acts as a natural sunscreen [EDIT: I didn't clarify well on this one; it reflects some sun rays and adds some UV protection-I didn't intend to insinuate that it could be used as a sunscreen alone ^_^]

-Balances skin's pH levels

-Retains skin's natural moisture/absorbs excess sebum

-Contains essential amino acids which help repair skin

Source: http://www.helium.com/items/1130758-silk-powder-and-its-uses

And if you are allergic to silk, or are Vegan, they have a vegan foundation that is silk-free :)

Prices:

Full sample Kit: $3.95

---

One full bag of Ivory (white base; original, medium, heavy): $5.50

One full bag of tinted Base: $5.75

You need so little, just that will last you for a few months

That's all I have for now. I really hope some of you guys check this out. It's worth it!

Edited by CelloIsLove

I'm really surprised not a lot of people know about Silk Naturals makeup.

Here's the basic idea: you get some white base powder in original, medium, or heavy coverage. Then you get some dark pigment that will work with your skin shade. It comes to your house, you follow the instructions on the pamphlet, use the little scooper that comes with it, and mix up your shade. Your EXACT shade.

There foundation formulas are extremely simple, and look amazingly natural on your skin. They don't have a lot of oil control, but Silk Naturals sells some awesome powder primers and oil controllers.

The best part of this is the FREEDOM. You decide what you want from the makeup and what you don't. You can add a bit of primer powder to your formula to add oil control, you can mix it with a moisturizer to tint it.

Plus, Silk Naturals is a nice, small company. You can go on their forums and ask anything, even post a picture of yourself to ask what pigment you should use in your formula. They have low shipping (really low), ship fast, and give you free samples of eye colors/etc. with your order.

Check them out, guys :)

thanx! good to know. i can never find the right foundation for me, as ive got quite a pink tone( prob from all the treratments in the past) and a lot of pink/purple scaring.im currently using no 7, which is a mousse almost, but its still not great. my boyf thinks make up makes it worse, but i just cant go out with no make up on!!!!

-Acts as a natural sunscreen

Though the makeup sounds really cool, I have to address this.

Silk protein reflects and absorbs SOME UV rays, but not many. It is an adequate ADDITION to sunscreen, but I would not rely on it alone.

However, the colored portions of this makeup seem to be your basic titanium dioxide and zinc oxide formulas, both of which are excellent sunscreen ingredients.

Edited by headtrip_honey

-Acts as a natural sunscreen

Though the makeup sounds really cool, I have to address this.

Silk protein reflects and absorbs SOME UV rays, but not many. It is an adequate ADDITION to sunscreen, but I would not rely on it alone.

However, the colored portions of this makeup seem to be your basic titanium dioxide and zinc oxide formulas, both of which are excellent sunscreen ingredients.

Thanks for clarifying! I edited the original post to make it clearer.

I was GOING to link the review page of this from MakeupAlley.com, but the site seems to be down. Hrmph :mmkay: Will do later once the site is up again.

I love this stuff! :) I'm approx. 3 Buttery Gold : 17 Ivory in medium coverage. Mixing isn't difficult at all; JenW, the colour expert on the forums, is great at helping with your recipe. It looks really light in the jar, but it really isn't. Another plus: I don't look like a ghost with this foundation like I do with most MMU.

Thanks for your reply, Lalaalove ^_^ Yes, Jen is really helpful! Karen, the creator of Silk Naturals, is also really great. I messaged her with a question about my order, and she replied within a few hours. Plus, she was very friendly! That's what I call customer service :dance:

Now that MakeupAlley.com is back up, here's this link:

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showrev...ed_Brand/Powder

Ta dah :) If that's not enough to convince you, I dunno what is :D

gotta bump this topic. Anyone else tried it? I'm thinking of going in. Would you recommend ordering the medium or heavy though to cover acne marks and scars? I have a bunch of red spots on my face... I use Laura Mercier foundation powder to cover it up, which is good as cover up, but not good for oil control at all. :(

Edited by sopher

I switched over to this brand after much disappointment from a certain MMU brand. :doubt: But past is past! Silk Naturals' customer service is absolutely fantastic and shipping is speedy (to Canada). It only takes about a week or so to come here.

The heavy formula has amazing coverage! It's actually quite natural looking if you don't slap on a huge amount (I first use a single layer, and then one or two more on trouble areas followed by spot concealing).

At first, it may look a little chalky if you use a lot but if you're like me and have oily skin, after a while it will look natural! It's less chalky looking if you get the right colour (it tends to look more chalky if your foundation is too light, or doesn't have enough of your undertone colour... this is coming from experience).

Speaking of colours, I have really yellow asian skin and their yellow booster powder is amazing. If you have ethnic skin, look at their colour boosters! This is probably one of their best features. I really don't think it's possible to NOT find your colour or shade. You just need the patience and time.

The oil control, however, is nothing great. I still have to blot throughout the day.

All-in-all, it's worth a try! Although you might want to patch test it first to make sure you're not allergic to silk.

I thought about ordering some vegan foundation but their website is a mess and hard (hard as in I don't want to have to poke around a lot to figure it out) to find things.

I could not get it to match my skin color no matter what I tried. I even asked the moderator for help, and did what she suggested. It's a very good foundation in my opinion, I like how it looks natural. I'm just disappointed that I couldn't get a match, and I'm fairly light.

Thanks for the response just me. I just received a shipment, and have tried it out for a couple days. I got a good match to my skin tone with the heavy mix. It looks really good. Much better than my previous make-up finish... however, it makes me skin look shiny and it gets oily much faster than before. I am going to try using more of the oil control products (I ordered a few primers and finishers). If that doesn't work I'm going to try their zinc powder for oil control.

Over that issue, it has been lasting long, provides very good coverage for my acne scars, and feels wonderful on my skin. I would prefer to use this everyday over my Laura Mercier, which was super expensive, and I honestly think probably worsening my acne breakouts. I'm going to give this make-up a few months to see how it does on my skin. Sometimes, make-up induced acne takes a while to show up. 3+ months, I think. I will update if I have any break-outs that seem particularly severe or anything.

Sharpy, I didn't have a problem ordering anything. Maybe you visited when the server was slow or something?

Sharpy, if you're a vegan, they have a whole section called "Vegan" in their catagory frame to the left of the screen. :) just be forewarned though, apparently their vegan foundation's coverage is light to medium... so if you're looking for full coverage it might not be the best choice for you.

sopher, no problem. glad i could help! :) Yeah, I have the same problem as you... but never took the initiative to buy the primers/finishing powders. please let me know if something works to control those annoying oilies!

Sharpy, if you're a vegan, they have a whole section called "Vegan" in their catagory frame to the left of the screen. :) just be forewarned though, apparently their vegan foundation's coverage is light to medium... so if you're looking for full coverage it might not be the best choice for you.

Yeah, the vegan foundation part of the site is messed up. There isn't a light starter kit (or whatever it's called). I'll just stick to Meow. Thanks though.

VampireNinja: Which pigment shade did you use? The mod might have misjudged your skin tone, maybe try another shade?

Sopher: I have oily skin and I did notice that this doesn't control oil much on its own, but the site has some fantastic oil control powders, which are very versatile. Right now I'm using their oil control blur powder, which controls oil and blurs out large pores and such. It's a silicone based powder, very sheer and light!

Their oil control products are great as they can be used under makeup as a primer and over makeup to set. I don't like using it under however, because the makeup has little to grip onto when it goes on.

They also have some awesome skincare products if you're looking for something more natural. Their hemp oil moisturizer is great! I'm about to try their emu oil one too.

Thanks Cello! I appreciate the advice. I want to order everything there!

And Just Me, today and yesterday I tried a few things to keep down the oil-face: first I applied a scoop of Ultimate Luxury Powder, which reduced redness and softened my skin (craaaazy soft). The I applied a scoop of Oil Control Primer using a flat brush and really paying attention to my t-zone, which is the worst. After that I put on a layer of my foundation mix using a kabuki brush. Then I applied the Oil Control Blur that Cello was writing about also using a kabuki. Then I applied one more foundation layer, and then a layer of the Perfecting Powder.

I needed to touch up both days, once in the late afternoon (I used the Perfecting Powder). Using cello's advice I may use more Blur, becomes it def. does seem nicer than the Oil Control Primer, although that probably helps some too. I am still thinking of ordering the zinc though, especially because it is going to start getting sweltering hot here soon and I'm worried about how oily I am going to get! I will continue playing around with the make-up and then steps, and let you know when I figure out the perfect solution... which for me is to go a full school/work day without any touch-ups.

The oil control of the medium formula is better than Meow or adorned with Grace's foundations for me, but still not great.

I agree though, the customer service is simply fab :)

i've never tried the foundation, but i really like the perfecting powder! it keeps the oilies away for quite some time. i think it would be great if they could come up with a compact version of this to take on the go. oh and the shipping is really fast, too.

Hello everyone.

So I was using bareminerals then that didn't work so I switched to EDM and the that didn't work simply because the color was off. It made me really yellow. I looked jaundice. So I thought okay I'm just going to use over the counter stuff. I got Covergirl. It worked kinda not really haha. I started breaking out. I was so mad because my bf was coming home and my face looked horrible. I wanted to hide seriously hide! I came on acne.org a week ago and remembered silk naturals which I was going to try if EMD didn't work. I wish I had tried them before. I got the starter kit. I think I got the formula wrong at first. I made my self jaundice haha woops. Then I figured out I was a warm gold not butter gold. So this is the first weekend I used it. A friend of mine borrowed an DSLR and wanted to have a play photo shoot. I wore the make up. She didn't edit any of the pictures yet but showed them to me. Not a blemish in site, not a single pigmentation scar in site, and my face looks amazing! (I will keep updating everyone on if it gives me any issues in the future since it's really too soon to tell and i don't want to get excited).

I'm using the original formula that the starter kit came it's great! But I think I want to try the medium coverage. I have a maybe stupid question but if I go under foundations do I need to buy the tinted foundation separately from the Ivory Medium foundation??? Or do I buy medium Ivory and it comes with the color I want??? Oh yeah and which one or any of them come with a bigger container with the scoop?? I lost the scooper that the kit came with (silly me!).

Also how long is this make up lasting people in terms of months?? I used to use my bareminerals for like 3 months before I needed to buy more.

I'm also buying samples of the oil control blur, green color corrector and the date bait which I hear is amazing!!!

I do need the oil control and the help with the pores around my cheek area.

P.s. Thank you to Silk naturals! I'm falling in love :-)

I don't know how long the make-up lasts in quantity, but I think 3-4 months sounds right. In terms of longevity, it lasts 2 years or so.

You can order a medium starter kit with your tinted base color. It comes with a container and scoop and a sample of Perfecting Powder. You probably will need more of the ivory than the color, so you can order the ivory separately too!

I'm glad you found a color that works by the way. I ordered warm gold and olive and olive worked perfectly so now I have a bunch of warm gold I don't know what to do with, hahahaha. Maybe I can mix it up with some white or glow and use as some bronzer sometimes?

Oh, and I really like oil control blur and dait bait. Try some of the ultimate luxury powder and Zinc too. Ultimate luxury is expensive, but I LOVE it. It calms down my skin sooo much. I heard the same thing for zinc so I ordered that too and I'm hoping it helps calm down my redness.

Thanks!

Where would I find the ultimate luxury powder?

Yeah I'm placing the order today. I think I might need more ivory than what I had expected haha. I found an old picture of me and I love the look I have. I don't think I've matched it completely yet with the color I have but it's very close to my skin. I think I'm tanner now that's why my foundation I had with Bareminerals was so light on me.