Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amoniques

ACCUTANE TAKEN OFF MARKET!!!???

Roche labs taking Accutane off the market by june. This was just on the news and you can google it. There have been so many lawsuits against them about this drug. Some guy has to have his bowel removed becuase it caused Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome.. I am sooooo freaked out right now.. Do I keep taking it or stop? or what? anyone?????

Roche labs taking Accutane off the market by june. This was just on the news and you can google it. There have been so many lawsuits against them about this drug. Some guy has to have his bowel removed becuase it caused Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome.. I am sooooo freaked out right now.. Do I keep taking it or stop? or what? anyone?????

hey, don't worry, accutane is just the original brand name, and they're only going out of business because there's so many generics stealing all their business. (sotret, claravis, etc.) and those aren't going anywhere to my knowledge. if you were prescribed accutane, keep taking it, and have your doctor prescribe you a generic if/ when accutane goes off the market.

they're been planning this for a while, see: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=ca...geg04K9PRUzlOMw

I'm not sure, but I heard they are gonna have generic brands of it now instead. The place I also read that from said that it was not being taken off for health related reasons, but apparently that does not seem to be the case if what you heard was true.

According to drugwatch.com the side effects can be mild:

• headache
  • dry mouth and genitals
  • hair loss (doesn't sound mild to me)

to severe:

• liver damage
  • suicidal thoughts
  • BIRTH DEFECTS

Infact it is not recommended that anyone suffering from depression take the drug at all. I also had no idea. Please do your due diligence before considering this drug.

I've been on claravis for over a week.. I'm not really concerned about the name brand being takin off the market.. but about all the lawsuits out against them for people with intestine issues and such.. I already have IBS and am worried now. I know all drugs have issues.. I don't want to stop taking it because, well we all know why. I guess I'll call my doc tommorow just to be sure.. man.. why does it have to be so scary :(

Oh but I'm def not worried about the depression issue I'm good with that..

Just remember that out of all the people who have taken accutane, only one(+) guy had his bowel removed.

Generics are still available, and No more then one guy had his bowels removed. Before this verdict Roche paid out 22 million to about 7 other cases and 400 are still pending.

Generics are still available, and No more then one guy had his bowels removed. Before this verdict Roche paid out 22 million to about 7 other cases and 400 are still pending.

Oh :/ Yeah I wasn't positive, that's why I put the (+) after. Still seems like a small percentage. Just make sure you check things out right away if you notice anything.

Have no fear, this was announced a year ago by Roche. Also, this is only the brand name Accutane that is being taken off of the market. Generics, such as Claravis, Clarus, Sotret, etc., will still be available.

I also think that you don't need to be worried about the guy who needs the surgery. This is classic example of how ONE bad thing happens, and even though literally 99% of the time it WON'T happen, it gets inflated into this big thing that'll happen to everyone. Like after 9/11, people were afraid to get on planes even though they were no more likely to be on a plane with a terrorist than before. Because people become informed that something is a possibility, they freak out, even if it's highly unlikely. I guess because logic makes us think that if it happened once, it'll happen again.

Anyway, you need not worry!

EDIT:

ALSO, IBS is a listed side effect. I'm sorry, but these people should do their research before taking Accutane. It's not like Roche, or any other company for that matter, is trying to hide or CAN hide the side effects of this potent drug. People should understand the risks (other than pregnancy!) before taking the drug, and if something happens that's a LISTED side effect... Well, sorry! You don't see me suing over a rash, dry lips, or an initial breakout, do you?!

Edited by Jerichoa

Here's what I think:

People should do their research before taking any drug. Taking Accutane is a RISK. I have chosen to gamble with the side effects in return for a high chance of getting clear skin. I'm prepared to develop some side effects. Who knows, maybe I'll live five years fewer. But for me, my quality of life is so low while I have acne, that its barely worth it. If I didn't have the possibility, no LIKELIHOOD (due to Accutane) of getting clear skin, I would barely want to live. I would rather have headaches, dry skin, a little dizziness, or whatever for a few months than have none of these problems and suffer from acne into my 30's. I hope I won't develop intestinal problems, but if I do, that is my own fault. Also, I am skeptical that many of these people's side effects really resulted from the Accutane, rather than just developing coincidentally at the same time they were on Accutane, or soon afterwards. They would have to look at the stats: What percentage of people develop intestinal problems? What percentage of people on Accutane develop intestinal problems? if the number isn't significantly higher, than that would disprove that. As for depression: I would think acne is one of the largest contributing factors to many of these peoples' depression. What percentage of people with acne who aren't on Accutane are depressed? What percentage on Accutane are? Its absurd to decide Accutane causes these problems without real PROOF, which I haven't seen any of. Regardless, people should be able to choose what they do to their own bodies. I'm an adult, and I'm making the decision to take Accutane. Cigarettes are legal, but we KNOW they kill. However, if someone wants to smoke, let them smoke.

Anyway, Accutane isn't going anywhere while the drug companies are making money off of it. People who want to stop people from taking it aren't going to get anywhere, and I think so many of them are misinformed and intrusive. I really resent the people that spread lies about accutane on the internet with the intention of scaring people who are thinking of using it. People should make the decision for or against taking Accutane after reading legitimate studies, or reading accounts of people's experience taking accutane (like on this site.) Don't believe everything you read, and read a lot so you can get an idea of the most common experiences.

Totally agree with you guys.. and I def agree that I am willing to suffer from all the common side effects too.. It's just so scary you know! and it doesn't help that my mom and sis are on my back about getting off of it! My mom is the one that called me to tell me.. of course she has had like one zit her whole life (dad's side). They are just lookin out for me.. I just took my night dose of claravis. If I stop now I will regret it forever. If my doctor tells me to stop I will and I do get checked out every month so.. we shall see :) thanx for the supplies my fellow acne haters!!

HAHA my dad and boyfriend have both done WAY too much research into Accutane and its side effects. At least three times a day my dad asks me if I've developed any new side effects, and my boyfriend is begging me to cut my dosage back by half. But why? I haven't had any new side effects!

Like I said, people hear a few negative things about it and COMPLETELY blow it out of proportion.

I think you'll be ok on Accutane. Don't fixated on the side effects. However, don't ignore them if you start having them. :)

Have no fear, this was announced a year ago by Roche. Also, this is only the brand name Accutane that is being taken off of the market. Generics, such as Claravis, Clarus, Sogtret, etc., will still be available.

I also think that you don't need to be worried about the guy who needs the surgery. This is classic example of how ONE bad thing happens, and even though literally 99% of the time it WON'T happen, it gets inflated into this big thing that'll happen to everyone. Like after 9/11, people were afraid to get on planes even though they were no more likely to be on a plane with a terrorist than before. Because people become informed that something is a possibility, they freak out, even if it's highly unlikely. I guess because logic makes us think that if it happened once, it'll happen again.

Anyway, you need not worry!

EDIT:

ALSO, IBS is a listed side effect. I'm sorry, but these people should do their research before taking Accutane. It's not like Roche, or any other company for that matter, is trying to hide or CAN hide the side effects of this potent drug. People should understand the risks (other than pregnancy!) before taking the drug, and if something happens that's a LISTED side effect... Well, sorry! You don't see me suing over a rash, dry lips, or an initial breakout, do you?!

Really... I'd never would imagine with the plethora of negative posts I see on this board.

God forbid I actually have a scar after a cyst that's just wrong and maybe I should sue roche for it

If anyone wants to know about IBD and Accutane and why the lawsuits have one. All you have to do is go to this companies website. They acutally were there at the trial and video tapped it. Though it is highly expensive, they acutally have a copy of the courts ruling when Roche was granted a new trial which back fired on them and costing them 25 million.

http://www.courtroomview.com/proceedings/m...rial-2007-04-30

Scroll down and it is under the picture Titled Appellate Divison's opinion unplubished report, It's a 113 pgs but has loads of information and interesting read. Makes you wonder about any drug company.

http://info.courtroomview.com/Blog/?Tag=Accutane

This is a blog of the trial and events that happened, quite intersting info there too.

Most of theese cases are prior to Roche labeling IBD in 1998, drug has been out since 82 and there were unpublished studies that showed pts and dogs who develped intestinal disorder and Roche did not put it on the label in 1982....

Most of the IBD cases have gone to court and won, Unlike the prior suicide and pregnancy lawsuits which were mostly settled out of court back in the 80's and 90's by Roche.

Does it mean that you will end up with IBD/Chron's nNo, but people should realize that the side effects are real and can happen. When researching make sure you do real research quite intersting the info you can find.

Edited by oli girl

Its kind of like buying heroin from a drug dealer. You know what could happen. Hey if you take this heroin, you could nod out and crash your car. Fuly aware of what coould happen. Then sue your dealer when it does happen.

We all know the side effects both common and severe. We all know the risks of taking it. How can you sue when something goes wrong when YOU ARE fully aware that this sh*t could happen??

Is this just for the US or is this for Canada/world wide? The package my pills come in says Accutane Roche (or Roche Accutane I don't remember)... so I'm assuming that's the real deal, not a generic one.

I really hope this doesn't eff with my course =(

Edited by thegirlx

@amoniques: You know, I really think so. The only time my skin is red is if I rub it or I've just gotten out of the shower. My skin also is not dry at all, it's just not oily. Since I started taking fish oil before going on Accutane, it's not exactly a scientific experiment, but I would like to think that it's helping me out a lot.