Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willow569

Study on acne patients and depression rates

Wow! Pretty disturbing facts. I wonder if doctors are aware of this.

and? this is like saying starving people are more likely to be skinny or a virgin is less likely to become pregnant. just a big fat DUH. we dont need studies to tell us we're depressed

There's a difference between being "depressed" about acne and being clinically depressed as a result of the convergence of multiple stressors. So the important take-away is that even though acne is often dismissed as a minor bother, it can be a major contributor to the onset of clinical depression.

Hopefully this kind of research will result in dermatologists taking the psychological state of their patients more seriously.

Edited by greentiger87

yea, who woulda thunk??

what a waste of scientific capital.

Not a waste if it makes medical doctors more aware of the connection between acne and depression. And while it may seem like a "no duh" connection to you, it is important to determine the magnitude of the connection, not just the fact that we think a connection might exist (the medical community is kinda funny in that they prefer actual proof in the form of data...).

There's a difference between being "depressed" about acne and being clinically depressed as a result of the convergence of multiple stressors. So the important take-away is that even though acne is often dismissed as a minor bother, it can be a major contributor to the onset of clinical depression.

Hopefully this kind of research will result in dermatologists taking the psychological state of their patients more seriously.

Excellent points!

What was also interesting was the highest rate of depression in acne patients was found in adult women over the age of 35.

Hmm...You would think doctors would fine a "cure" for acne then. Unrealistic, I know. But I can dream.

What was also interesting was the highest rate of depression in acne patients was found in adult women over the age of 35.

I think it's because they're not expected to have acne. People say that it usually disappears at 23-24. And when you're 35 with acne it kind of brakes the myths about acne.

yeah...ive suffered from acne for 5 years now..im 18 and it still looks terrible....this depression hasnt left me at all

Actually, you would think it would be as simple as 'acne causing depression' but the multitude of causes that produce both conditions are probably more connected than you think.