Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
davidst

why does dan's faq say bp doesnt cause wrinkles?

i have, what seems to be a permanent forehead wrinkle from the bp. i havent used bp on it for weeks, i can put all the moisturizer on it i want, it doesnt matter. its always there. so did bp peel away at my skin so much that i now have a wrinke? what exactly happened here? and is there anyway it can go away? will joababa oil do anything, or am i pretty much screwed

Though there are no official studies, numerous personal anecdotes say that benzoyl peroxide causes premature aging (wrinkles, fine lines, age spots). There are quite a few posts on here if you dig around. I have personally experienced this and thus no longer use bp.

is there a reason dan didnt include that in his FAQ? is there a reason he clearly states that bq cant cause wrinkles?

What causes forehead wrinkles:

p.s. I do not take credit for this, I found it online. :)

Forehead wrinkles can either be vertical, appearing in the area of the lower forehead between the eyebrows, or more commonly and more pronounced as horizontal wrinkles in the area between the hairline and the eyebrows. Many of these wrinkles are caused by the same factors as other wrinkles in separate parts of the face and body, simply due to skin damage that results with aging. Exposure to the sun and its damaging UV rays plays a major part, as do the diet and lifestyle choices you make, including poor nutrition and exercise.

However, another major factor in the development of forehead wrinkles is due to the natural facial expressions you use when speaking and conversing with others, or when displaying emotions. Try it out by going in front of the mirror and fake a conversation with smiles, laughter, frowns, etc. Notice the wrinkles in the forehead that develop? Each individual contraction of the skin means little, but over time this can build up to lead to some of the wrinkles you see. By no means can does this mean to stop smiling or laughing, but you possibly consider altering some of your common facial expressions if they are having a noticeable effect.

In addition to healthy exercise and a nutritious diet to keep the skin and body healthy, another great way to help with fighting these forehead wrinkles is ant-aging skin creams. Keeping the skin clean and moisturized, as well as providing it with the nutrients in these creams, can be a great way to help lessen the visibility of wrinkles and to help prevent the formation of new ones.

So keep in mind that there are steps you can take in fighting your forehead wrinkles. And definitely do not frown at the thought of them, for then you are only creating new ones!

You might try the AHA lotion or something similar. Glycolic acid is a common ingredient in many "anti-aging" creams and lotions. And use sunscreen everyday.

I noticed the same thing after using BP for several years. My skin had a sort of rough, papery appearance with tiny wrinkles everywhere (and I was only in my early 20's). Stopping use of the BP and the addition of an AHA cream really seemed to help--my skin looks much smoother and 'suppler' now, with no wrinkles.

i have, what seems to be a permanent forehead wrinkle from the bp. i havent used bp on it for weeks, i can put all the moisturizer on it i want, it doesnt matter. its always there. so did bp peel away at my skin so much that i now have a wrinke? what exactly happened here? and is there anyway it can go away? will joababa oil do anything, or am i pretty much screwed

How long did you use BP for? It doesn't seem logical that BP would cause wrinkles to form that fast. :think: Wrinkles don't just appear over night.

brandy, most of that stuff is definitely no secret. the thing is, im 21 (and i eat healthy), so i doubt my wrinkles are from me laughing and smiling too much, lol

i used the bp for 2 to 3 months. another result of the bp aside from this wrinkle, was that the bp either gave me or revealed a boxcar scar and an indent/rolling scar on my forehead

im a little skeptical to use this "AHA lotion". i only heard good things about bp from here and it turned out to be one of the worst things ive ever done, lol

wondering why no one seems to care about this?

Take a look in the Gallery, there's plenty of people using the Regimen without wrinkles.

Wrinkles on men add character anyhow, who cares. You can always go back to having big red pimples if you'd prefer ;)

[ot]

When I'm clear I'm off this site like a rat out of an aqueduct. I think it's great, but it seems to make people a little too concerned with their skin though.

[/ot]

i dont know i think i would much rather a pimple that can go away as early as the next day over permanent scars..

that "it adds character" thing is a little ridiculous as well. im 21 with plenty of character.. dont know how much character dents and wrinkles is going to give me. and what if i wasnt a guy?

i just think its a little weird that the faq says something completely untrue, and theres no warning sticky...

i totally agree with you, davidst. i am a 26-year old woman, and that wrinkly-papery appearance wasn't giving me any character. it just washed me out and made my skin look gross. i think those of us with acne usually can't afford (if you'll allow the expression) to be concerned with other aspects of our skin because we have to concentrate on getting clear, but that doesn't mean we don't (or shouldn't) care what our skin looks like otherwise. i want to be clear, sure, but i also want to have smooth, radiant skin (like those lucky 26-year old girls without acne!).

i too think that this should be mentioned in the faq, as i have read in several places that others have experienced this. at the very least, it should not say that it won't happen!

is there a reason dan didnt include that in his FAQ? is there a reason he clearly states that bq cant cause wrinkles?

The biggest reason why Dan's FAQ says that BP doesn't cause wrinkles is because there are no medical or scientific studies proving otherwise.

Take a moment to digest that. "There are no medical or scientific studies proving otherwise." If there are, you're free to prove me wrong and post a link to one. I'm sure Dan would be interested in such a study as well. As far as I know, Dan has taken the steps necessary to verify that the things said in the FAQ are as close to current information proven by studies as possible.

Note that I will not take a stand on whether BP causes wrinkles or not. My personal use of BP, on a daily basis for good 4 months now has not caused any wrinkles, dents or other imperfections. This is not a proof one way or another. It is just my personal experience.

But as long as there are no conclusive, scientifically proven evidence in one direction or other, don't ask Dan to update the FAQ. They are answers to common questions based on scientific evidence, not a list of things that might happen when you start the Regimen and the sun and the moon are not properly aligned or the stars don't shine on you.

The biggest reason why Dan's FAQ says that BP doesn't cause wrinkles is because there are no medical or scientific studies proving otherwise.

Take a moment to digest that. "There are no medical or scientific studies proving otherwise." If there are, you're free to prove me wrong and post a link to one. I'm sure Dan would be interested in such a study as well. As far as I know, Dan has taken the steps necessary to verify that the things said in the FAQ are as close to current information proven by studies as possible.

Note that I will not take a stand on whether BP causes wrinkles or not. My personal use of BP, on a daily basis for good 4 months now has not caused any wrinkles, dents or other imperfections. This is not a proof one way or another. It is just my personal experience.

But as long as there are no conclusive, scientifically proven evidence in one direction or other, don't ask Dan to update the FAQ. They are answers to common questions based on scientific evidence, not a list of things that might happen when you start the Regimen and the sun and the moon are not properly aligned or the stars don't shine on you.

I just wanted to mention I REALLY like your post! Well said! :)

i understand there isn't any "official studies", but you can't deny that theres a bunch of people on this board who can attest to what it's done to their skin (both good and bad). i dont think its right to just go out and say, "yea it doesnt cause wrinkles", when there is people on this board say otherwise. it might've not on your skin, it might've not on dans skin.. but why wouldnt you just make a little * and say that it may or may not lead to premature aging?

and AKEshi, you're the person who told me that BP peels away at the skin and can reveal scars you once had. yet, there is no mention of this in the FAQ either. i would think people would want to know that they might have an indent in their face if they use this stuff. shit, i sure wouldve liked to have known that

i dont think its right to just go out and say, "yea it doesnt cause wrinkles", when there is people on this board say otherwise. it might've not on your skin, it might've not on dans skin.. but why wouldnt you just make a little * and say that it may or may not lead to premature aging?

In my opinion, because "BP causes increase of free radicals and premature aging" is the main punchline of companies who have competitive products to plain, cheap BP use.

and AKEshi, you're the person who told me that BP peels away at the skin and can reveal scars you once had. yet, there is no mention of this in the FAQ either. i would think people would want to know that they might have an indent in their face if they use this stuff.

When I said this, I did not know better. After more extensive use, I personally have come to the conclusion that what I said back then was incorrect. In my current opinion, BP does not cause skin peeling unless you are allergic to it. If this is the case, BP use should be discontinued immediately.

Glycolic acid (such as AHA) can be used to further exfoliate the skin and improve complexion and outlook. Dan recommends adding AHA to the Regimen after 3-4 months. That's what I am going to do next myself, to further polish my current results.

I would also like to remind you that I asked for a picture showing this dent/scar that you spoke of. I haven't seen this picture yet. All we have to go on is your textual description of the situation. Without a picture, it is impossible to judge the visual impact this dent has, or whether it even has any. Did I just miss the post in which you had a picture of it?

Edited by AKeshi

I haven't seen any wrinkling and I've been on the Regimen for about two months now.

But here's the thing: Everyone says "BP gave me wrinkles when I used it!"

Meaning: "BP dried out my skin, and when I stopped using it, it went back to it's normal supple self."

So yeah, dry skin has the appearance of looking older and having fine lines. Better to have fine lines than a pizza face, yes?

I haven't seen any wrinkling and I've been on the Regimen for about two months now.

But here's the thing: Everyone says "BP gave me wrinkles when I used it!"

Meaning: "BP dried out my skin, and when I stopped using it, it went back to it's normal supple self."

So yeah, dry skin has the appearance of looking older and having fine lines. Better to have fine lines than a pizza face, yes?

Haha, I was just thinking about this, when I saw this thread.

There are a lot of people that claim that BP ages skin because their skin developed wrinkles while they were using it. But, as you've pointed out, if the wrinkles fade after stopping BP use, then they weren't caused by BP "aging" the skin. The skin was just dried out, which can accentuate wrinkles.

There are a lot of people that claim that BP ages skin because their skin developed wrinkles while they were using it. But, as you've pointed out, if the wrinkles fade after stopping BP use, then they weren't caused by BP "aging" the skin. The skin was just dried out, which can accentuate wrinkles.

This^ was my initial reaction on reading this thread, and it's certainly what happens to me.

I have mild acne primarily on my neck which i pretty much have under control thanks to BP (Quinoderm 5%, thinly applied 3 times a week). After a month or so of this, my skin begins to look really ragged, with fine lines visible everywhere. Someone described it as looking like rough paper, which is dead right. When i get to this point, i take the risk, and stop applying the BP for a few weeks, and my skin returns to normal. Sometimes i break out, sometimes i don't - but the 'wrinkles' always smooth out.

I even get lines around my eyes after a few weeks on BP, even though i obviously apply it nowhere near that area. It's just due to my overrall skin being so dry.

Finding a suitable moisteriser that works for you is definitely the most challenging part of developing a routine. I've tried dozens and i'm still not happy.. or even close.