Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
By the beach

Fraxel Repair adverse reaction

Hi,

I had Fraxel repair 3 weeks ago as my doctor thought it was a good idea because I was spending a lot of money on fillers every year. I had 2 CO2 laser resurfacing in the past (over 10 years ago) and 2 series of 4 regular Fraxel in the past 5 years. These significantly reduced my scars but just the same I thought the Fraxel Repair would help get rid of the last. I had my neck done because my face was lighter in pigment from the previous CO2 lasers.

I have healed great from the Fraxel Repair but my neck looks worse. I have crinkling, an alligator look and little 'strings' wrinkles that I did not have before. My doctors(plastic surgeon) said that this will go away in a few weeks. I am nervous that it wont. I am using a thick cream and Aquaphor.

Has anyone experienced this adverse reaction on their neck before? Will it get better? Will my skin return to it's old state?

Thanks in advance for your help

Hi,

I had Fraxel repair 3 weeks ago as my doctor thought it was a good idea because I was spending a lot of money on fillers every year. I had 2 CO2 laser resurfacing in the past (over 10 years ago) and 2 series of 4 regular Fraxel in the past 5 years. These significantly reduced my scars but just the same I thought the Fraxel Repair would help get rid of the last. I had my neck done because my face was lighter in pigment from the previous CO2 lasers.

I have healed great from the Fraxel Repair but my neck looks worse. I have crinkling, an alligator look and little 'strings' wrinkles that I did not have before. My doctors(plastic surgeon) said that this will go away in a few weeks. I am nervous that it wont. I am using a thick cream and Aquaphor.

Has anyone experienced this adverse reaction on their neck before? Will it get better? Will my skin return to it's old state?

Hello there,

First off I am NOT A DOCTOR, and I MAY BE WRONG. So use this advice in caution, it is only my personal opinion as a lay person in respect to my current understand from literature I have read.

With that said.

Please listen to me carefully. I have been researching Fraxel Re:Pair for the past month in great detail.

I do not mean to freak you out by what I am about to say.

Fraxel Re:Pair has caused exactly what you said in several patients. Reliant and Solta medical are aware, and the Repair SHOULD NOT BE USED ON THE NECK. Only at very very low settings.

This came to a surprise to Reliant and Solta medical, as this was not seen in clinical tries. Rather the truth is, they probably didn't really do extensive clinical trials on the neck. This company in my opinion is one big marketing machine.

The scarring is exactly exactly exactly what you speak of. Stringly lines on the neck, that will later turn hard, causing tightness and tension in your neck. Nodules will also form along the string.

The reason this happens, is because the neck has less sebacious glands than the face. Because fraxel repair has a high thermal damage depth, the neck does not heal properly. The face seems not to be a problem, because of the high density of sebacious glands in the face.

So here is what I suggest you do. Your doctor is clearly clearly responsible. If the guy had read recent clinical finds on Repair he would know. You need to not call him, you need to drive down right now without an appointment, and demand to be seen. Don't be kind, be assertive.

Ask for CLASS 1 steroid. If applied early, the study I read indicated that it may resolve. The class 1 steroid must be used with extreme caution.

Second, you need to call Reliant/Solta Medical. An english woman named Linda will pick up, she will make you go in circles. Tell her screw off, and you want to file a complaint about scarring. If she makes you go in circles with her English accent, demand a manager.

Then Call the FDA and report this.

I don't want you to freak out, take action asap, and this scarring might reverse. Also ask for a full refund, your doctor should have known repairs thermal damage is too high to be used on the neck at the setting he probably used.

Take Care

quick edit... here is the reference:

Avram et al. Hypertrophic Scarring of the Neck Following Ablative Fractional Carbon Dioxide Laser Resurfacing. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine. 2009

Another edit... here is the name of the cream one woman was prescribed. "Clobestasol" cream.

Edited by sanjoseskin

Hi,

Hello there,

First off I am NOT A DOCTOR, and I MAY BE WRONG. So use this advice in caution, it is only my personal opinion as a lay person in respect to my current understand from literature I have read.

With that said.

Please listen to me carefully. I have been researching Fraxel Re:Pair for the past month in great detail.

I do not mean to freak you out by what I am about to say.

Fraxel Re:Pair has caused exactly what you said in several patients. Reliant and Solta medical are aware, and the Repair SHOULD NOT BE USED ON THE NECK. Only at very very low settings.

This came to a surprise to Reliant and Solta medical, as this was not seen in clinical tries. Rather the truth is, they probably didn't really do extensive clinical trials on the neck. This company in my opinion is one big marketing machine.

The scarring is exactly exactly exactly what you speak of. Stringly lines on the neck, that will later turn hard, causing tightness and tension in your neck. Nodules will also form along the string.

The reason this happens, is because the neck has less sebacious glands than the face. Because fraxel repair has a high thermal damage depth, the neck does not heal properly. The face seems not to be a problem, because of the high density of sebacious glands in the face.

So here is what I suggest you do. Your doctor is clearly clearly responsible. If the guy had read recent clinical finds on Repair he would know. You need to not call him, you need to drive down right now without an appointment, and demand to be seen. Don't be kind, be assertive.

Ask for CLASS 1 steroid. If applied early, the study I read indicated that it may resolve. The class 1 steroid must be used with extreme caution.

Second, you need to call Reliant/Solta Medical. An english woman named Linda will pick up, she will make you go in circles. Tell her screw off, and you want to file a complaint about scarring. If she makes you go in circles with her English accent, demand a manager.

Then Call the FDA and report this.

I don't want you to freak out, take action asap, and this scarring might reverse. Also ask for a full refund, your doctor should have known repairs thermal damage is too high to be used on the neck at the setting he probably used.

Take Care

quick edit... here is the reference:

Avram et al. Hypertrophic Scarring of the Neck Following Ablative Fractional Carbon Dioxide Laser Resurfacing. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine. 2009

Another edit... here is the name of the cream one woman was prescribed. "Clobestasol" cream.

I was part of a test at my med spa. Eight of us underwent a Fraxel laser treatment. Four were put on a product called Regen post procedure. Four of us were put on the typical products carried by the med spa for post procedure issues. After a couple days, they switched us all to the Regen. It took out the itching, diminished the burn, and had us back to normal in about half the time they thought it would take! I have been using Regen as my face cream ever since. Take a look at this: . Regen is now part of every Fraxel procedure, microderm abrasion, and all chemical peels and laser treatments they do! Takes care of your PH and Melasma too.

Hi,

Hi By the Beach,

Your physician is correct, your neck should get better if the effect is due to swelling. After treatment, edema (fluid) collects in the neck causing swelling. Many patients necks look like a Persian rug that needs to be flattened out.

I sometimes advise my patients to get a light neck support to be worn when sleeping or when they are around the house.

If the side effect has been caused by a burn, then that is a different issue. Make sure that your neck concerns are due to swelling and not due to a burn and scarring. Good luck and be well.

Edited by Wynne

Hi By the Beach,

Your physician is correct, your neck should get better if the effect is due to swelling. After treatment, edema (fluid) collects in the neck causing swelling. Many patients necks look like a Persian rug that needs to be flattened out.

I sometimes advise my patients to get a light neck support to be worn when sleeping or when they are around the house.

If the side effect has been caused by a burn, then that is a different issue. Make sure that your neck concerns are due to swelling and not due to a burn and scarring. Good luck and be well.

Is this Dr Persky? If so this is Dazed from the RealSelf forums. It was your advice about multiple Re:pairs that made me realize Re:pair was not a one and done procedure. I had had 3 and may do a 4th in the fall.