Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
az0889

Has anyone else been on Accutane for this long:-X

OK So I am just about to finish my 4th month and my skin is clear. I had persistant moderate acne for about 10 years now.

I weigh 130lbs and I was on 40mg/day for the first three months and then 60mg/day my 4th month and picked up my perscription of 60mg/day for my fifth month. I also have an extra 30 day supply of 40mg.

My last derm visit I asked him how many more prescriptions I would have to get filled and he said besides my fifth month, 2-3 more. That would make my accutane course to be about 8-9 months long. I have yet to read about anyone's course being long than 5-6 months... any ideas?

OK So I am just about to finish my 4th month and my skin is clear. I had persistant moderate acne for about 10 years now.

I weigh 130lbs and I was on 40mg/day for the first three months and then 60mg/day my 4th month and picked up my perscription of 60mg/day for my fifth month. I also have an extra 30 day supply of 40mg.

My last derm visit I asked him how many more prescriptions I would have to get filled and he said besides my fifth month, 2-3 more. That would make my accutane course to be about 8-9 months long. I have yet to read about anyone's course being long than 5-6 months... any ideas?

Here is a user that just posted stating he had been on it 10 months.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Pimples-f...ne-t262697.html

It's not the length that necessarily matters, but the cumulative dosage of accutane.

You weigh 59kg. Docs recommend taking 120-150mg/kg during your whole course.

Your total dosage for 5 months comes to 7200mg, or 122mg/kg. This puts you on the lower end of the range. You can do a 6th month @ 40mg, and this will put you at 142mg/kg. Anything more and you go over 150mg/kg. My derm said if you go "over" this dosage, for some reason you're more prone to getting acne again.

This is something you might want to discuss with your doc before getting your 6th month prescription.