Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jonima

Hydrocortisone- the ins and outs?

I have found few posts concerning hydrocortisone. How exactly should I go about applying it to my face/acne?

bump

I have been actually applying this to two deep harened red cysts that have formed on my cheek near nose. I have the cortisone with aloe though. I just dab it on there and rub it in there. I have reduced the size of one by about 70%, the other one which was not as big to begin with has not reduced as much though. Sometimes it works for me and other times it will not, i try to use it so it wont come to a head and just go away on its own. I did have one cyst on chin that it did work on and it went away on its own, but on another it brought it to a head, so for me its by chance i guess.

Ok, thanks. Chance does not doesn't sound reassuring at all.

I have been reading up on hyrdocortisone and acne, and it sounds as if the two are not meant for each other. Just these two sites alone said NO NO to treating acne with hydrocortisone:

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/skintype/1...ig-ugly-pimple/

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/skin_hair/eczem...oids_003762.htm

I used to use it as a spot treatment but found that it caused hypopigmentation spots on my skin. No good!

Ok, thanks. Chance does not doesn't sound reassuring at all.

I have been reading up on hyrdocortisone and acne, and it sounds as if the two are not meant for each other. Just these two sites alone said NO NO to treating acne with hydrocortisone:

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/skintype/1...ig-ugly-pimple/

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/skin_hair/eczem...oids_003762.htm

Ya i would not go crazy in using it and use it sparingly like the sites suggest. I rarely ever get deep hardned cysts like this and unfortunately today is one of those days in which i am using this creame to see if by chance it can work again. It will not hurt for you to try though, its just as long as its not always being used as an everyday treatment.

I actually started using it because i had come across a thread where this derm recommended for this individual with a cyst and she claimed it practically went away overnight, the swelling and redness anyway.

My simple pimples are now cysts. I am aborting this operation.

The hydrocortisone made your small pimple turn into a cyst?

I have found few posts concerning hydrocortisone. How exactly should I go about applying it to my face/acne?

As you have discovered (according to your more recent posts), you should NOT apply hydrocortisone to the face for acne.

Steroids will thin the skin, will suppress the immune system of the skin, increasing susceptibility to fungi, yeast, AND bacterial infections, can cause PERMANENT redness on the level of rosacea (permanent!) when used incorrectly, ie: for acne.

Do NOT use OTC steroids or prescription steroids for acne, NEVER longer than one to two weeks and NEVER apply an occlusive dressing over the steroid as that increases the absorption. Long term use of even topical steroids can cause a Cushing syndrome.

Acne is also a side effect of topical steroids.