Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mtngirl1324

Should I try Accutane?

Hi everyone! Newbie here. =)

Unfortunately I'm not new to acne. I've been dealing with moderate-to-severe inflammatory acne for over a decade now- ages 12-23. I've been on dozens of medications, antibiotics, topicals, and regimens but nothing works for very long if at all. I always avoided Accutane because it seemed so extreme- I figured I'd wait to see if it would clear up with age. Apparently thats not what it has in mind.

I have a dermatologist appointment this upcoming Wednesday morning and in the past months of waiting for it have decided I no longer wish to feel dirty or fourteen for the rest of my life and finally want to take that drastic 'last resort'. BUT in the past two weeks my skin has cleared up!!!!!!! WHAT THE HECK?! I haven't had a new cystic pimple form and have only had 4-5 whiteheads, which is NOTHING compared to what I used to go through every day. My skin tends to do this every few years, but it always breaks out again eventually... and now that I've finally decided to go on Accutane its behaving? Its like some sick cosmic joke!!

Do you think my derm will let me call it in when/if I break out again and fax me the prescription for Accutane? When I break out again I don't want to wait 2+ months to see her to get a prescription. She won't prescribe it if I'm presenting 95% clear skin will she? Of course it still looks awful, with all my scarring, but the breakouts right now are minimal.

I just know my skin is mocking me!! Thats what it feels like!! I'm so frustrated right now.

Edited by mtngirl1324

Hi everyone! Newbie here. =)

Unfortunately I'm not new to acne. I've been dealing with moderate-to-severe inflammatory acne for over a decade now- ages 12-23. I've been on dozens of medications, antibiotics, topicals, and regimens but nothing works for very long if at all. I always avoided Accutane because it seemed so extreme- I figured I'd wait to see if it would clear up with age. Apparently thats not what it has in mind.

I have a dermatologist appointment this upcoming Wednesday morning and in the past months of waiting for it have decided I no longer wish to feel dirty or fourteen for the rest of my life and finally want to take that drastic 'last resort'. BUT in the past two weeks my skin has cleared up!!!!!!! WHAT THE HECK?! I haven't had a new cystic pimple form and have only had 4-5 whiteheads, which is NOTHING compared to what I used to go through every day. My skin tends to do this every few years, but it always breaks out again eventually... and now that I've finally decided to go on Accutane its behaving? Its like some sick cosmic joke!!

Do you think my derm will let me call it in when/if I break out again and fax me the prescription for Accutane? When I break out again I don't want to wait 2+ months to see her to get a prescription. She won't prescribe it if I'm presenting 95% clear skin will she? Of course it still looks awful, with all my scarring, but the breakouts right now are minimal.

I just know my skin is mocking me!! Thats what it feels like!! I'm so frustrated right now.

If you don't HAVE too. Don't. Try laser treatment first. I have taken accutane 4 times and my joints will never be the same. Regardless of what the doc may tell you about permanent joint damage, trust me it has long term effects. It also made my hair dry out and fall out to some extent. Hope you have other options, as i did not.

The only thing I'll tell someone when they are considering accutane, is to make sure it is a last option and make sure you are mentally prepared. If you are impatient, it's not for you