Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alli-G

Help with the regimen

Just to tell you a little about myself, I am 14, I live in a mild climate, and I have very sensitive skin. I have been batteling acne for 4 years. I just started the regimen about 30 minutes ago and now I am having some problems. I was fine until i put the BP on (I put on a third of a finger). Then my face started to burn a little, but not much. Ten minutes later I put the moisterizer on after washing my hands. Right after I applied the moisterizer, my face started to burn. My mom looked at it and told me it was really irritated. Thirty five minutes later, it is still burning. It hurts really bad. Should I stop taking the regimen??? HELP!

Hi and welcome.

Please read these two links. http://www.acne.org/faq.html#burn and http://www.acne.org/faq.html#moisturizer-sting

Let's be sure you didn't start out with too much bp at first. You should have only used about a pea sized blob to begin with (once daily) for week one. Be sure to wait the full time between steps. A little bit of irritation is normal, however if it should not be intense.

I would guess you started out with way too much BP. If you have extremely sensitive skin like you say, you should have never started out with 1/3 of a full fingers length. Dan only recommends a pea sized amount once a day to begin with. You may have to let you face heal for a few days, then start again but only using a SMALL amout, and slowly work your way up. It is common for the moisturizer to sting a little. That's because your face hasn't adjusted to the BP yet. However, it usually gets better within a few weeks.

The first week was like that for me....in the 3rd week now and sometimes it still burns for an extended period of time....it will pass...and then you can complain about the flaky/dryness like everyone else!!

Welcome to the regimen...

It's like a lose-lose situation. You will notice an improvement in your acne, but if your skin is as sensitive as mine, you will be red well into month 2.

You have to choose either redness or acne :(

I started using BP 10%. It got my skin really dry so I switched to Dan's BP. After my skin took that nasty 10%, the 2.5% was really soothing and my skin was moisturized in 3 days. And I started with the full amount of BP and it did not burn at all. You might want to decrease your dosage.

Hi, I started the regimen in 2008 and I worked my way up to the 2 squirts of BP but then things went wrong! I requested a refund because something similar happened to me. Here's some of what I wrote:

My face burned (severely and constantly) so bad I could not even fall asleep!! I burned for two hours with no decrease in intensity until I washed my face and put nothing on it. Instant relief...though my face is still sore from the incident and since I've stopped the regimen (it's only been two days) my face actually itches!! It's weird for me because in all my 30 years, my face has never itched! Unfortunately I can't do this again, and I know you're supposed to give these things time but, again, I've learned the hard way too many times to add this to the list of hard lessons. I could ignore my gut and keep going and do irreparable damage when all I needed to do initially was clear up some acne.

I also don't like the way my skin looks when I do the regimen. It's already going through puberty for the first time (didn't have acne as a teen) and is oily, but before it was oily/smooth with several pimples. Now it's oilier, very rough (looking closely in the mirror my face is a giant heat rash - tiny bumps all over), and somehow dry at the same time.

I figured I was having an allergic reaction (I have allergic reactions to all sorts of stuff, LOL! :doh:) and went off the regimen and tried different things, none of which did any good, for a year and eventually went back to this just to see what would happen. Now, everything is great!!! The BP works and I haven't had any problems. I have, however, modified the regimen to try and keep if from happening again. This time around I’m using my own cleanser (Seacret Mud Soap - moisturizer (whatever Garnier product I like at the moment), and the occasional mask). I also only use the BP in the morning because I think any amount of it twice per day was just too much for my skin. Heck, I don’t even wash my face at night anymore. I’m oily and have seborrhea (mostly on my scalp) so the more I do to my face the more oil it thinks it needs to produce so I just wipe with a soft paper towel throughout the day and roll with it! :D And because of the oil I have to wash my face pretty good so I don't do the whole gentle thing. I don't scratch or anything, but I get it clean and then I really rub in the moisturizer. Sorry this was so long, but I really hope my situation will help you!! It's OK to take a break from this and then come back to it and try again. You may also be having an allergic reaction, but the thing I've learned about allergic reactions (through experience and talking to a few dermatologists over the years) is that you can have one the first time you come in contact with something or you can have one the millionth time you come in contact with it. :dance: