Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
korrim21

My Accutane Journal

Well, I startd Accutane 3 days ago and I just wanted to have somewhere to blog my experince. SO far, don't really notice any dryness but I do notice alot more oil. On the way to work i was disgusted with how oily my skin already was. Yuck, hopefully it's getting a little better.. I am not even thinking about my back I am only focusing on my face.. So far I have a couple extra pimples but I am going to do proactive's refining facemask tonight and hopefully that takes a little oil away, otherwise I pray for a no-breakout cycle :P

Korri

Oh and btw I wil post pictures of my skin as of yesterday tomorrow.

Thanks guys!!!

So now I am on Day 4 and I just want to say that my skin is not as oily as yesterday and I feel completely normal! Not bad :) I also really am not noticing any dryness. My lips were a little chapped yesterday and I did get a cut that bothered me all day but other then that, pretty normal. I am starting to apply moisturizing to my whole body in the morning and maybe after the gym, depending on how I feel today, if I feel normal then I wont but if I feel dry then I will! I'll check in when I stop feeling normal!

So, today is Day 7 and I am only reporting back because I feel SO oily. I have been putting on alot more moisturizer then normal but I don't think that is an excuse.. Even as I am washing my skin it feels oily. My face is shiny when I get to work and I am wearing a thin layer of powder foundation. So I wiped that off and now my face is still oily. ARGH oh well I know its temporary, and I am not breaking out.. I think I have one big one in the middle of my chest and thats all! Easy schmeasy

Day 9 is upon me.. Feels alright. I haven't really been noticing too much change. So far, my skin is still oily but it is not over whelming, its just a little more oil. If I miss washing my skin though I break out almost immediatly. Other then that I have been continuing using olay bar, proactive toner and nivea moisturizer.. as soon as it gets a little sunnier here I am going to buy SPF (I only use it in the summer because Vancouver is ridiculously overcast 90% of the time in the rest of the year) and I finally uploaded my pictures so i will post them with this reply. But over all, its a good day. The only other things I noticed thats kinda expected but still strange is I do have very dry lips but I usually do, I just noticed theyre a little tighter, and also my nose feels like its alot drier inside and the scabbing on my pimples that I have popped because I am bad (getting better though!) are different, they dont hurt and they actually feel better. Anyways thats all the reporting I have so have a great day!!

post-124291-1268684360_thumb.jpg

post-124291-1268684398_thumb.jpg

post-124291-1268684360_thumb.jpg

post-124291-1268684398_thumb.jpg

So I havent been updating lately and I apologize, the only reason I made this blog was so other people could gage their decision on my experinces.

Oh well, I do a very good recount.

2 weeks: So other then a little complaining about oily skin, that cleared up in the first couple weeks and I barely remember it being a problem. After that, my skin was like a DREAM!! Until EASTER! (1 month in) AGH the weekend I fly 1000km to see my boyfriend. (Which could be a reason why it happened, climate change)

4 weeks: Anyways I told him my skin might go red because it did that a couple days when I was hot and cold at the same time. But what I did not expect was the worst dry skin I have ever seen. Considering I have applied moisturizer twice a day since day 1 I was really surprised, but it's ALOT colder and drier in Calgary then it is in Vancouver.

It started on my chin, it was super dry so I just put alot of moisturizer on it for the first couple days and it was okay, and then during the weekend it just got worse and spread on my face and then on Sunday we went quading and I didn't have anything covering my face and WOW it put the slight dry skin into overdrive. Soon thereafter my face had a huge red inflammed area of DRYDRY skin. My boyfriend gave me some shea butter moisturizer and it didnt do anything, it was so BAD I had to put coverup on. And then I noticed little patches on my upper arms and chest. Once I got back home Monday night it was ridiculous, everyone thought I had a really weird sunburn on my face.

5 weeks: And then, much to my dismay, it stuck around for a week and then spread to my hands (just the backs) and it was like little bumps. So I hoped for the best and changed nothing. And suddenly I broke out. The worst since I have been on the medication.. about 6 or 7 zits on my chin, and a couple on my shoulders and like 10 on my back. So now I am writing because I have good news.

The breakout was fine, nothing I am not used to. I wore long sleeve shirts during the dry patches and water based foundation to cover up a little of the crazy redness.. Over then that, I just told everyone I had windburn from quading.. so it made me sound a little cooler haha. Then my face got worse on the left bottom cheek and it was realllly dry, I just couldnt keep my hands away. It started bleeding so I made the executive decision to stop scratching at it, and now, 2 days later.. its back to normal.

6 weeks:Yesterday I woke up (ofcourse, the day of my doctor appointment where I was going to ask) and everything was back to normal. My skin now not only doesnt feel oily, it feels.. smooth and perfect. I was expecting to wake up with 5 more zits, but instead I looked in the mirror and they were all dry all around them and now today, they're almost gone. In fact my entire body feels smooth and even dreamier then the first couple weeks.

One thing about the accutane that is really starting to piss me off is loss of memory. I cant remember anything. It only took me a couple days to figure it out but I have to save the simplest things in my blackberry to remind me: "go to the bank" "do homework" "what is my insurance policy number". Its ridicculous, but yet again, one more thing I am willing to put up with to have nice skin.

I am hoping I dont have another horrid cycle at the end of this pack where I want to die haha.. its all good though, its easy to get over. You just leave your hair down to cover some dry skin, apply extra moisturizer and its okay.

I also got an SPF45 that I wear on my face everyday now. It smells SO good (Hawaiian Tropic, Walmart < $10) and I have been using Nivea for all over moisturizer, the Happy Time stuff after my workouts and the Touch of Sun after my morning shower. I used the touch of sun because I know I cant go tanning. But alot of people have noticed my skin looks a little darker. And I was outside in a bathing suit washing the dog,car and gardening this weekend and didnt get a burn or anything.

I actually heard going in the tanning bed helps your skin during the Accutane cycle, is that true? As well, do you guys think I am going to go through another rough patch before I am done with the medication?

Thanks and hope you all have an amazing weekend! I will post as soon as something interesting happens.. but I hope its good interesting! And I will try to take pictures of my skin post-horrid cycle. I actually have one post quading (that was intended to be a joke) but you can see that it really isnt that bad, it was just all flaky, and that you cant see. But for the people deciding to go on Accutane, do it.. its worth the dry skin. Its not that bad, just put on your moisturizer and try not to travel for your cycle and if I could do it again, I would have started taking it in the fall or winter.

Korri

post-124291-1271457723_thumb.jpg

post-124291-1271457723_thumb.jpg

Your first 4-5 days sound exactly like mine, I was more oily than anything and no real side effects or anything like that, still waiting on the dryness to hit me like a ton of bricks.

As far as the tanning bed, I think that would be a huge mistake. In a general sense people think tanning makes there skin look better... and it does for a FEW days, because your skin is more red/tan and your marks and what not don't show up and it might dry up some smaller acne, but then once it the tan/burn fades the marks become visible again. But since your on accutane you would probably get really burnt and possibly cause damage to your skin.

If you're still using the proactiv toner, I would just ditch that stuff. I don't think you need a toner for your face it will probably make you more dry because it's alcohol based I believe and it's one less step you wouldn't have to worry about. Anyway, good luck with everything!

Edited by callmeamack

can i ask why are you on accutane? you dont really look like you have acne?

Her acne may not look bad in the picture because pictures aren't the same as real life. Her acne is mild but may be a little worse in real life.

Thanks callmeamack that's good advice. I have since stopped using all the proactiv stuff and my skin is getting alot better.

davidst, first of all, that was a weird way to approach that. Sounds kinda rude. Anyways, I am on accutane because I am 22 and have been on many different medications for mild acne since I was 12. Nothing has worked. I had temporary results with Tetracyclin but as soon as I became physically active it got really bad on my back, if you look at the pictures in this thread then you will see that I am infact telling you the truth. But regardless, it has obviously been a safe decision since my dermatologist perscribed it to me.

Not sure how old you are, but being 22, a female, who just lost 30 pounds and looks great, I want my acne gone ASAP and I want it gone as permanantly as possible.

So with that being said, don't be rude about the way you approach it.. I obviously have acne or my doctor would not have perscribed me this medication.

On the other hand, thanks for the compliment :)

Now as for an update

7 weeks: My skin is continuing to feel great post-dryness. I am losing my appetite which I am sure is associated with this medication and I am also having increased fatigue.

Other then that, it feels like my skin is back to "normal" my back is clearing up in some areas but getting worse in others. My chest is pretty much clear and my face is pretty clear other then around the chin area like normal.

week 8: well my skin was feeling good and back to normal but then one day it just got really hot and red and the next day i was back to dry skin. so i decided to try out this cream my derm gave me, dermabase with some sort of acid content. im not sure exactly but its already helped in the last couple days. i just hope it doesnt spread to my arms and stuff like it did before! and my breakouts are back to normal. so to me, it feels like i am going to go right back into a dry skin period. i just hope its over before i go east :(

"davidst, first of all, that was a weird way to approach that. Sounds kinda rude. Anyways, I am on accutane because I am 22 and have been on many different medications for mild acne since I was 12. Nothing has worked. I had temporary results with Tetracyclin but as soon as I became physically active it got really bad on my back, if you look at the pictures in this thread then you will see that I am infact telling you the truth. But regardless, it has obviously been a safe decision since my dermatologist perscribed it to me.

Not sure how old you are, but being 22, a female, who just lost 30 pounds and looks great, I want my acne gone ASAP and I want it gone as permanantly as possible.

So with that being said, don't be rude about the way you approach it.. I obviously have acne or my doctor would not have perscribed me this medication. "

hi. im not really sure how you took it as me being rude. i stumbled upon this topic on accident, saw a pretty girl, and had no idea why she was taking accutane. i dont have acne so dont think that was one of the "omg you got accutane and i didnt" posts that you see on here. i definitely dont agree with the whole "obv my doctor wouldnt have given it to me" thing btw

heres hoping you literally tried everything to get rid of your pimples (i seriously think if i was in your spot i could "cure" your pimples in 2-3 weeks time, at a fraction of the cost, with no side effects) and this is the last resort. but good luck. heres hoping you dont get cysts or scars

and before you take that last part the wrong way, so many people ive encountered irl/on this board even had no idea what accutane would leave them with. just throwing that out there

I completely relate to how you feel about being 22 and having been through everything else to get rid of aacne. I was 22 and in exactly the same position when I took accutane, it was the best decison I ever made, I no longer even have to think about acne. I hope you get amazing results as well and don't let the scaremongers put you off. Good luck.

thanks jimmyjammy that was very sweet :), me and the scaremonger had it out and now were good haha

well i guess i better sum up the last week!

week 9: just starting my third billion-fold package.. man i hate that packaging.. with a little reminder to not get pregnant.. like i could forget to not get pregnant! pretty sure avoiding pregnancy has been a goal of mine for quite some time ;)

anyways, i feel good. the dry skin lasted a couple days, but i am getting really used to the bumps on the back of my hands, they're kinda like those annoying friends that you just get used to and learn to live with. My face was back to normal, but I realllllly don't think I could have done it without the cream my derm gave me. dermabase with azaliach acid or something.. its actually the perfect cream while on accutane.. its grainy, which sucks, but its oily enough to defeat the dry skin, but it also dries up my zits. amazing.. if someone expresses interest in this, i will go out to my car and get the bottle. But I did notice that my arms are getting a little bit of a tan, which is pretty awesome considering i am not burnt to a little crisp as well.

Something new, and not so exciting is I am starting to feel this depression they speak of. Now I am not in full out suicide mode or anything like that, if that happened I would admit myself to a hospital. But I am feeling.. lost.. is really the only way to describe it. I just feel like I am unsure of the direction my life is going to take and I am a little worried about the future.

Although I know everything is going to work itself out, I still have this forced feeling of anxiety. It's pretty irrelevant to me and I know its Accutanes creepy little head poking through so I am not in danger or going off it or anything, I guess I will just have to take that day by day and evaluate as it comes. I added another picture, from a couple weeks ago. And my skin is looking clearer! So wooooopwoop!

Have a great weekend guys!

Korri

post-124291-1273269783_thumb.jpg

post-124291-1273269783_thumb.jpg

thanks jimmyjammy that was very sweet :), me and the scaremonger had it out and now were good haha

week 9: just starting my third billion-fold package.. man i hate that packaging.. with a little reminder to not get pregnant.. like i could forget to not get pregnant! pretty sure avoiding pregnancy has been a goal of mine for quite some time ;)

anyways, i feel good. the dry skin lasted a couple days, but i am getting really used to the bumps on the back of my hands, they're kinda like those annoying friends that you just get used to and learn to live with. My face was back to normal, but I realllllly don't think I could have done it without the cream my derm gave me. dermabase with azaliach acid or something.. its actually the perfect cream while on accutane.. its grainy, which sucks, but its oily enough to defeat the dry skin, but it also dries up my zits. amazing.. if someone expresses interest in this, i will go out to my car and get the bottle. But I did notice that my arms are getting a little bit of a tan, which is pretty awesome considering i am not burnt to a little crisp as well.

Something new, and not so exciting is I am starting to feel this depression they speak of. Now I am not in full out suicide mode or anything like that, if that happened I would admit myself to a hospital. But I am feeling.. lost.. is really the only way to describe it. I just feel like I am unsure of the direction my life is going to take and I am a little worried about the future.

Although I know everything is going to work itself out, I still have this forced feeling of anxiety. It's pretty irrelevant to me and I know its Accutanes creepy little head poking through so I am not in danger or going off it or anything, I guess I will just have to take that day by day and evaluate as it comes. I added another picture, from a couple weeks ago. And my skin is looking clearer! So wooooopwoop!

Korri

YOUR FUCKING PRETTY AS SHIT WHY ARE YOU GOING ON ACCUTANE YOUR SKIN LOOKS FINE

Well, thanks acnevsme.. i guess its just a personal decision.. i have problems with my back more then i do with my face. But thanks for telling me I am pretty! I will take that as a compliment

Korri

Korri

YOUR FUCKING PRETTY AS SHIT WHY ARE YOU GOING ON ACCUTANE YOUR SKIN LOOKS FINE

Pretty she is. Hope everything is going well :)

thanks time_traveler.. everything is going well.. I have my check-up appointment tomorrow with my dr. and i think I am going to ask about maybe going from 40mg to 60mg or something like that.. I feel like the Accutane isn't doing it's job anymore, and I only have like 6 weeks left. My acne on my back in still the same as it was before I started.. well its less severe for sure but it is still bad, and its creeping up higher so you can see it in most shirts now :cry: i guess i will have to wait to see what my dr. has to say.

Korri

Pretty she is. Hope everything is going well :)

thanks time_traveler.. everything is going well.. I have my check-up appointment tomorrow with my dr. and i think I am going to ask about maybe going from 40mg to 60mg or something like that.. I feel like the Accutane isn't doing it's job anymore, and I only have like 6 weeks left. My acne on my back in still the same as it was before I started.. well its less severe for sure but it is still bad, and its creeping up higher so you can see it in most shirts now :cry: i guess i will have to wait to see what my dr. has to say.

Korri

Dont be sad, I know exactly how you feel about your back, mine looks like the ring of fire :redface: Good luck with the derm tomorrow everything will go well I know it :D

Edited by Time_traveler

Week 12 Well here I am at week 12, first day of package number 4. My doctor gave me 6 weeks this time so we will see how that pans out. But I have terrific news! My skin is like CLEAR CLEAR CLEAR! Woot woot! All that remains is the scars and the leftovers of the newer ones. Now I am definitly going to thank Accutane for the clear up but I am also going to thank Northern Saskatchewen.. Lol the least polluted area of Canada. I was there for 5 days, so my skin definitly got a head start! And then I went up to another dryish area (in the interior of British Columbia) and now there are no problems!

A couple things I am rather concerned about though are first of all, my fat and cholesterol levels. I am doing Atkins right now, so my cholesterol is up due to eating more chicken and eggs. And my fat is high because I am eating full fat condiments and olive oil. Anybody know what the risks are with high cholesterol, fat levels on Accutane? I know in the pamphlet it says Accutane can make it higher, but it doesn't say why this is a problem.

Another thing is that now when I scratch my scabs off (bad I know, but totally a habbit when I am itching my back or something) they don't just turn into little scabs, now they look more like cuts, like serious scabs. Hmm.. I will try to stop picking lol.

My dry skin is totally gone!!! My skin gets tight if I don't put moisturizer on, but that seems normal. Where I did have those dry spots on my arms though, it's now like a faded lighter colour. I am assuming its because it's new skin.

Anyways, any advice on these topics would be awesome. Thanks!

Korri

Accutane can just really bring the risk of raising cholesterol and triglyceride levels in your body which could possibly lead to cardiovascular problems down the road. Luckily, after people stop Accutane these levels begin to lower. For me, I started out with good cholesterol but it has gradually grown a bit higher.

And I'm glad to hear that you're having great progress! :)

Week 16: Well, I know I haven't written lately and I apologize.. I have been in my own little world. Things are going well.. my dry skin is going, the circulation is ending and I have 2 weeks left. Woop!!!! I am very excited to stop taking accutane, mostly because I can then donate blood again.

The only thing that really bothers me now is that as summer approaches and I get a little bit darker, I have lighter blotches all over my arms. I don't know if it will always be like this, but it's not bad and I actually think it gives me a little character! :)

The cholesterol levels I feel alot better about, thanks mercyunbound for your response. I was super worried about it, but I know that either way I will have my eggs and chicken and it really won't affect me during my youth.

The next battle, and slightly accutane related, but probably more my fault is that I think I might be pregnant. I really hope that I am not, but I think there is a possibility. Since I have been taking this medication for the last 4 months I am a little lost. If I am pregnant then I obviously have a choice, and although a termination would be my absolute last choice, the baby would be extremely unfortunate. And that doesn't go for my ego, I would love to have any child, no matter any disabilities.. My problem is that it would have such a low quality of life. Being sick, deformed and drugged.. this is not what should be brought into this world by me and my boyfriend. It is life and these things happen, but I would feel terrible having a child that would hate me because of this medication and the whole situation.. or not even be able to feel emotions because they are just a vegetable.

Now I haven't taken any tests or got any sort of confirmation (except a missed period) but I am weighing the options and really looking beyond any selfishness that I might have. I truely believe that if I were pregnant, the child would have a terrible life. But if I am pregnant, I am going to get all the tests to detect any deformations before I terminate, and that I promise.

I am also kind of thinking that I may have missed my period because I am an endurance runner and have been upping my game lately. It is quite possible to miss a period because of a change like this.

But I am not ruling anything out. Please don't hate when you respond to this because I only want your advice not judgements.. I haven't made any decisions and that's why I am posting here.. for everyones advice on what they would do.

Thanks,

Korri

Week 18: Hello week 18! I have 4 days left until I am finito of the Accutane! I just want to summarize my pros/cons. Would I take this medication again? Maybe. My mild/moderate acne was more than anything annoying. I was just SO sick of having pimples! 10 years of a specific problem can drive someone insane.

So I am HAPPY to report that I don't even wear conceler anymore (maybe a water based one just over my dark circles (non-acne related)) but my face is clear..

As for my body acne.. it is not really going away like I would have liked. It is all gone on my chest and mostly on my back, but my shoulders still have less than 10.

Annoying, but a work in progress for sure. Maybe I will have to do blue lights for these. Anyways.. those are the pros

Now for the cons

Well the dry skin is by far the biggest.. it is irritating and it is not fixable. When your skin gets dry, there is pretty well nothing you can do to fix it, just wear long sleeves and tell people you are sun burnt. It is definitly worth it though.

Another con would be the dry lips and sometimes throat.. Having chapped lips is my biggest pet peeve and it really did drive me insane. But once again, it was worth it.

Wearing all that sunscreen was annoying but it was a good habbit, so that is also well worth it.

I think all in all, accutane was a good choice, it was worth it and I would do it again anyday!

Edited by korrim21

Post-Accutane:I am officially finished accutane! Woopwwoop! I took the last pill last week on the 16th and now I am done!

My skin is pretty clear.

The chapped lips has subsided a little.

Still getting dry spots but thats okay.

Feel better overall.

Getting a couple zits!

The zits I am slightly concerned with, but its my T.O.M. anyways so that usually happens. I won't really know until next week! But I did discover that I need to start washing my face day and night. I didn't when I was on Accutane because I didn't have to. But we are definitly back at that point. My skin was so oily yesterday that I didn't put any moisturizer on today :shock: .. just outrageous for someone who just came of Accutane. So far there is no dry spots but I am sure they will form, and I am sure I will put moisturizer on when that happens!But right now, loving life.. loving the posibility of being clear and just having an overall great outlook on life after acne. And I move to a drier climate in 1 week, and less poluted. So garunteed my skin will be good to go for a while atleast. My back is clearing up nicely too. I even wore a shirt yesterday that exposed like 4 inches of my back! :surprised: yey!

Good luck to everyone else and given I probably wont be logging on here much anymore, if you want to get a hold of me: [email protected]

Peeeace out :)