Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dominick

Can Anyone tell me what I have in my cheeks?

So, my acne stop breaking out for awhile and left me with these redish pinkish dots in my cheeks, it makes my face very ugly.. and I need some advice or some treatements to make this go away..

So here is what it kind of look like

Right Cheek

Left Cheek -

P.S. when i slide my fingers on my cheek it feels smooth one or two little bumps though..post-121487-1268067070_thumb.jpg

post-121487-1268067061_thumb.jpg

post-121487-1268067061_thumb.jpg

post-121487-1268067070_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dominick

looks like its just hyperpigmentation, red marks that are sometimes left over where a previous breakout occured. They are a BITCH to get rid of, but they eventually go away. Sometimes weeks, months, even years. All depends on your skin type and try not to get a sunburn cause it will just prolong the situation even though it looks better for a bit while your skin has tanned. You can use products such as glycolic or lactic acid peels to help fade them. These work very well for some, and only help minorly for others.

I highly doubt mederma will do anything for them. Those work better for scars caused by cut and things like that, not very well for acne scars. I used mederma to help fade a scar i got from getting my lip cut open by a hockey stick when I was younger and it faded in a couple months, but would never do anything for acne scars. I's recommend a 20-30%glycolic acid peel, or a lactic acid peel, anywhere from 30-50%. They are pretty gentle and they won't actually make your skin "peel" like the stronger ones do. You can use it once a week for about six weeks, take a few weeks off, then repeat.

I just bought my glycolic acid on amazon. I have basically the exact same marks as you do and i can tell there already starting to fade

yea you can get it from tons of retailers online, just do a search. If you're not a fan of online shopping, back when I used it my mom would get it from some huge makeup store called Ulta. They have a lot acne related products there, but I would never go in there myself just because it is mainly known for make up.

75% glycolic? I didn't even know it went that high. That is definitely too strong to start with, I t is usually recommended to start with a 30%, then if you want to jump up a bit higher after about 6-7 treatments with that, using weekly, then you can, but only after taking a few weeks break. i don't know how old you are but you look like you're still young from your pics and they say that the lower percentages, such as 30, work well on young skin and that the higher percentages are typically only needed on older skin, like those in their 30's and beyond.

....and its more than likely going to take more than a month or two no matter what you do. Fading hyperpigmentation is a slow process. How old would you say the majority of the marks are? The older they are, the longer it will take to get rid of them.

I'm 19 years old. and I had some of them from Dec, but that starting to fade just a bit, but mostly everything is from Jan and early feb of 2010..Also what is the difference between the lactic and gylcolic

Okay, you're fairly lucky then if most are only a couple months old. They should not be TOO hard to deal with. The difference between the two is that lactic is more mild than glycolic, so it is usually recommended for people with sensitive skin to try that first, then if they handle it well, go to glycolic. I personally consider myself to have pretty sensitive skin, but I started off with a 30% glycolic with no problems. Some say lactic is better than glycolic for red marks, but some say the opposite, so you just have to decide for youself. i know its kind of embarassing going to a make up site, but theres a site, i think its called makeupalley.com or something, that has tons of reviews on all the different types of peels, so I would say browse around there and then for a decision,

Thanks, My skin isnt sensitive at all so I'll go with the 50% glycolic. and 35% if the 50% is working well ill stick to that..and also when I use that product will it make my face more prone to breakout?

Well, I used a 30% glycolic once a week for 6 weeks, took 3 off, then used a 55% lactic for 6 weeks. Saw very little improvement. They faded a little, but certainly not what I had hoped. I plan to do them again when I clear up a bit more. When I did them it was at a time that I only had about 4-5 small pimples so it didn't make it any worse but right now I got a few big guys so I am scared to try it at the moment.