Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

Archeological Discovery: Gladiators were Vegan ... so I'm less afraid of the diet for my acne

Many of you are on a vegan diet for acne purposes, so I thought this might interest you:

New archeological research at a gladiator's graveyard in Ephesus studied the bone and mineral content of 58 gladiator skeletons. Researchers found low zinc, high strontium which reveals the gladiators mostly lived on a diet devoid of animal proteins or as researchers put it, "They were vegans."

When the bones of the local citizens who were not gladiators were analyzed, their diet was found to be non-vegetarian.

This is quite a new discovery about some of the world's most famous fighters.

There is an interesting YouTube video which summarizes details: http://www.vegsource.com/news/2010/03/glad...egan-video.html

I found another VERY FASCINATING news article here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressrele...gladiator.shtml

Interestingly, the article seems to hint that strontium is important for strong bones, not calcium. If anyone knows more about this, please enlighten me!!

After learning of this new discovery, I am not as fearful that a vegan diet is unhealthy.

This discovery gives me more peace of mind about my diet and allows me to concentrate on the underlying cause of my acne.

Edited by Dotty1

Gladiators consumed a diet based on bread and honey, do you think that's healthy? They were slaves and were fed like slaves.

Where did you get the fact that they were only fed bread and honey?

I just read that they were fed barley, beans and dried fruit. In fact, they were known as the “hordearii”, literally “barley eaters.” And the day before the fight they were allowed a feast and women.

Edited by Dotty1

Many of you are on a vegan diet for acne purposes, so I thought this might interest you:

New archeological research at a gladiator's graveyard in Ephesus studied the bone and mineral content of 58 gladiator skeletons. Researchers found low zinc, high strontium which reveals the gladiators mostly lived on a diet devoid of animal proteins or as researchers put it, "They were vegans."

When the bones of the local citizens who were not gladiators were analyzed, their diet was found to be non-vegetarian.

There is an interesting YouTube video which summarizes details: http://www.vegsource.com/news/2010/03/glad...egan-video.html

Interestingly, the article seems to hint that strontium is important for strong bones, not calcium. If anyone knows more about this, please enlighten me!!

After learning of this new discovery, I am not as fearful that a vegan diet is unhealthy.

This discovery gives me more peace of mind about my diet and allows me to concentrate on the underlying cause of my acne.

In time, veganism/vegetarianism will (thankfully) turn out to be nothing more than a fad. We're omnivores by nature. Look to the animal kingdom... do you think carnivores would be better off eating vegetables? Do you think herbivores would be better off eating meat? Highly unlikely, as their systems were designed to digest and utilize the nutrients from meat or plants. The same holds true for us. As omnivores, we're "designed" to eat a balance of vegetables and meat. If you swing to one extreme or the other, you're depriving your body of optimal nutrients.

I really could care less about some study that was conducted on gladiators because it just doesn't tell us the whole story.

Read this for more info: http://www.westonaprice.org/Myths-of-Vegetarianism.html

-Cleric

During WWII, my grandma ate only barley meal and barley soups for a long time. She is fine now. She said it was like a prolonged detox, and cleaned out her intestines. But she got so sick of barley, she didn't touch it for many years.

I am an omnivore, ex-vegetarian. fyi. :)

Edited by Marrakech

In time, veganism/vegetarianism will (thankfully) turn out to be nothing more than a fad. We're omnivores by nature. Look to the animal kingdom... do you think carnivores would be better off eating vegetables? Do you think herbivores would be better off eating meat? Highly unlikely, as their systems were designed to digest and utilize the nutrients from meat or plants. The same holds true for us. As omnivores, we're "designed" to eat a balance of vegetables and meat. If you swing to one extreme or the other, you're depriving your body of optimal nutrients.

I really could care less about some study that was conducted on gladiators because it just doesn't tell us the whole story.

Read this for more info: http://www.westonaprice.org/Myths-of-Vegetarianism.html

-Cleric

I agree with Myth 14, 15... I think those aren't Myth. They're true, but what can I do?

My conclusion is that Dotty is just messing around with us now; I don't think she's serious anymore....at least I hope not. :wacko:

vegan, meaning grains as well as veggies and beans is superior.

everyday we find out new things about chemical and fiber in grains and veggies that are health supporting, meat pretty much gives us protein and vitamins.

Weston Price foundation is not a valid source of any facts on anything except on traditional cooking and food preparation methods around the world.

They are far from objective and many of their arguments to those 'Myths' of vegetarianism are opinions, not facts. Many of the references cited are yet other people's opinions, not facts. And many more of those arguments do not apply to how food in the U.S. is currently produced by our awful food industry.

On the other hand, just because the gladiators were able to function and fight for a time on this diet doesn't mean that they were healthy or would remain healthy for long.

I also heard gladiators had higher levels of mortality and a lower life expectancy than the surrounding population.

Oh, you didn't know, Dotty? That's funny. Yeah, Scyentists and anthropormorphologists suspect it was the "vegan-ness" of their bones that was the cause.

I also heard gladiators had higher levels of mortality and a lower life expectancy than the surrounding population.

Oh, you didn't know, Dotty? That's funny. Yeah, Scyentists and anthropormorphologists suspect it was the "vegan-ness" of their bones that was the cause.

Although, I'm guessing that gladiators' high levels of mortality and lower life expectancy wasn't because of their diet...

Although, I'm guessing that gladiators' high levels of mortality and lower life expectancy wasn't because of their diet...

I agree, Willow.

I was pointing out that the gladiators had enough energy on such a meager diet to last through 2-hour brutal shows of fights to the death for the public and many of these gladiators fought every weekend for 20 years... becoming famous like Mohammad Ali and Mike Tyson. If they had not had energy on their diet, were fatigued, losing muscle and not getting any nutrition, they would not have become some of the most famous fighters in the world. When people are sick and weak from lack of nourishment, they easily fatigue.

Edited by Dotty1

I agree, Willow.

I was pointing out that the gladiators had enough energy on such a meager diet to last through 2-hour brutal shows of fights to the death for the public and many of these gladiators fought every weekend for 20 years... becoming famous like Mohammad Ali and Mike Tyson. If they had not had energy on their diet, were fatigued, losing muscle and not getting any nutrition, they would not have become some of the most famous fighters in the world. When people are sick and weak from lack of nourishment, they easily fatigue.

adrenaline, you can be fed plastic and cardboard for 2 weeks straigh but when they let the tigers and bears out on your ass you best believe your adrenal glands will kick in and give them the energy they needed.

and like someone said before they were slaves or criminals plain and simple, they were to die for amusment. who cares how fit they were the romans had plenty of slaves to slay

I agree, Willow.

I was pointing out that the gladiators had enough energy on such a meager diet to last through 2-hour brutal shows of fights to the death for the public and many of these gladiators fought every weekend. If they had not had energy on their diet, were fatigued, losing muscle and not getting any nutrition, they would not have become some of the most famous fighters in the world. When people are sick and weak from lack of nourishment, they easily fatigue.

I was actually responding to the critique by "no-wash" with my comment. Citing the gladiators' short life span as evidence that the vegan diet was not healthy didn't make much sense. Just pointing out that the vegan diet probably had nothing to do with the gladiators early demise...

The info you cited was interesting, I'm not really sure I see how it impacts the diet-acne argument, but it is interesting notheless!

I'm not going to say anything until someone gets it.

P.S. *woosh*

Edited by nowash

If all Gladiators were eating the same thing, then how can some being famous prove anything? Their opponents would have been just as strong or weak.

It relates to acne because a lot of people are trying the vegan diet to see if it helps their acne. Many are quite afraid because they are told it is an unhealthy diet, they'll become sick or (as some people have told me in the past) they'll diet after a few months because of lack of nutrition :think:.

lol, I laughed about the adrenaline thing because it is true. Anyone would have an adrenaline kick when a tiger is after you.

But, from my limited knowledge of gladiators, I read that they were actually fed half-way decently because they were being trained all the time. For example, the poor lower class men could sign up to become a gladiator because they were fed and treated half-way decent.

If I remember correctly, it was the Christians were would have been treated like slaves and ill-fed before being put in the areas to be slaughtered. There was really no fight scene, just a slaughter.

But the gladiators (who were world-famous fighters) offered spectacular 2-hour battles and they were treated like athletes while in training. They would have been fed meager but descent diets that allowed them to train well and put on a good show. Free men frequently joined them to see if they could make their fortune. It was probably like joining the US Army. The food isn't great, but it satisfies.

Edited by Dotty1

Just go ahead and become a vegan. Seriously. See how depressed, muddled, and chronically malnourished you are after a full year without meat and dairy.

:wall:

I'm not going to say anything until someone gets it.

P.S. *woosh*

Haha really... I made that same sound when I read it. Right over their heads!

Just go ahead and become a vegan. Seriously. See how depressed, muddled, and chronically malnourished you are after a full year without meat and dairy.

I don't mind different viewpoints, but don't post ignorant opinions. :rolleyes:

The FDA found that a balanced vegan diet is perfectly fine for all stages of life.

Edited by Dotty1

The FDA found that a balanced vegan diet is perfectly fine for all stages of life.

Then why the constant stream of posts seeking confirmation and approval from... well, random people on a message board? :rolleyes:

Edited by Cleric.x7

I did. After a full year, my energy is through the roof, my acne is 95% gone and my blood tests are as good as always except for slightly lower cholesterol. Also gained 15 pounds of muscle with 80% of my calories coming from the oh-so-evil carbohydrates Thank you for your concern.

I haven't heard of any essential nutrient that can't be found in a vegan diet aside from B12 because of overly sanitized food. Animals don't even make B12, it's a byproduct of bacteria. Just skip the middleman and go for something like nutritional yeast, a supplement, or even eat unwashed produce from your garden. Besides, a lot of vegan food are fortified with B12 anyway.

meh, I don't care if going vegan will make me immortal - I'm not giving up my meat :D it's mostly chicken and fish anyways... Like a previous poster said, we are OMNIVOROUS by nature. It was hard enough to ditch dairy.

Haha, the FDA. I don't think we know everything that there is to be known about gladiators. How can we automatically assume that they were healthy and strong because we believe that they were extremely strong and famous. We can assume that they didn't just sit around inside all day long like most of us do nowadays, so that definitely has a large impact on a human being's physical conditions.

Did anyone else, other than me, become intrigued by the supplementation of strontium??