Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
johnd101

Accutane scars

I dont get whats wrong with my skin. This is my last month of accutane and no new acne since about the 3rd month but stil red spots. But the worst problem is i seem ot get indented red marks for no reason and then they go away and come back and go away again. Some times my skin looks so scarred and sometimes it looks pefect and its the same lighting. Does anybody know if this is just accutane or something else.

Don't like to tell this to you but those "indented" red marks will most likely be scars.

F*cking accutane and f*cking derms who don't tell you the risk of scarring. My skin was perfectly fine before accutane (apart from some acne on a difference place then where my scarring is now)

Accutane often causes initial break out, and it sometimes leaves scars on your face...but I never heard a problem like yours. I am not sure it's from Accutane side effect...But, I have some minor scaring on my face, and those look good some days, but some days look a little bad. so it might be possibility you already have scars.

Edited by myskin_2008

Its the lighting and the angle. Trust me, I have vast experience in scrutinizing scars. IF there are any scars from any perspective, then you have scats, period.

But yea accutane seemed to have made me more prone to scarring.

is there anything we can do for the scar left by accutane?

and do they improve overtime? since i heard accutane slow down ur healing process.

it's a mistake for some and a blessing for others. i guess it depends on the severity of your acne and how it responds to different drugs. prolonged use of antibiotics prescribed an idiotic doctor who would not give me accutane is the biggest mistake of my life.

If you had not taken it, I'm pretty sure you would be wishing you had.

The skin cells expand and contract at various times of the day. Look in the morning and you're skin will usually look flatter. It has to do with temps, retaining water and other things. Also, how much oil is on the surface will also give different looks.

Damn that sucks i was hoping the red marks will go away and my skin would go back to normal. But it definelty is not the lighting cuz i look at it the same time under the same lights constantly and its always different. For the most part i have shallow rolling scars but rolling scars make ur skin look so crooked. ANd the bad part is the scars are coming from whre i never had acne before. I just got red marks and then during accutane they just got deeper.

Is your skin very dry now? I started using a really strong moisturizer, like a night cream.. Pond's Dry Skin Cream. it seems to help a little with the appearance of scars and makes my skin really soft.

it's noncomedogenic

I also just bought a bottle of spf 100(neutrogena), which i think is a pretty good idea for daily use for anyone and especially anyone who has been on accutane. if you're scarred, you definitely don't want sun damage on top of that. and you will look better even with the scars than those people who baked themselves in their youth. i know i look younger than a lot of girls i have seen from high school who tanned! their skin gets that leathery appearance that is pretty much impossible to fix

Edited by marinera83

Damn that sucks i was hoping the red marks will go away and my skin would go back to normal. But it definelty is not the lighting cuz i look at it the same time under the same lights constantly and its always different. For the most part i have shallow rolling scars but rolling scars make ur skin look so crooked. ANd the bad part is the scars are coming from whre i never had acne before. I just got red marks and then during accutane they just got deeper.

I had the EXACT same experience. Red marks shaped in lines where I never had acne. These eventually went indented..

Hey I had same problem as you guys with scars occurring on accutane. My scars cleared up when I stopped accutane and started taking vitamin a (retinol). You guys probably think that its crazy to take vitamin a right after taking accutane, but honestly, it was the only thing that cleared up my scarring post accutane. I took about 400 000 IU of retinol over the course of a month or so, and by the end of that month my skin looked 75 percent better.

is it the accutane that gave you scars ? or was it the acne ?

if you didn't take accutane and your cystic acne persisted ........will you still scar ??

open wounds scar period ! be it a cut , stab, gash , flesh wound, acne or a scab picked too early

when ever you draw blood from wounds you will scar no matter how much you take care of said wound. you can wait for the scab to naturally fall off and i guarantee you there will still be discoloration after that fact.

acne scars, accutane doesn't

stop with the blame game it's ugly

is it the accutane that gave you scars ? or was it the acne ?

if you didn't take accutane and your cystic acne persisted ........will you still scar ??

open wounds scar period ! be it a cut , stab, gash , flesh wound, acne or a scab picked too early

when ever you draw blood from wounds you will scar no matter how much you take care of said wound. you can wait for the scab to naturally fall off and i guarantee you there will still be discoloration after that fact.

acne scars, accutane doesn't

stop with the blame game it's ugly

For someone who's on 10 mg of accutane a day, that's a pretty harsh comment to make. How could you possibly know what's going on with other people's skin on accutane? You don't need to brush off other people's concerns just because other people's skin reacts differently than the majority. The people with complications need more help than you do, thank you very much.

This has happened to my daughter also. During the first month of accutane, everyone was commenting about how great her skin looked, and she barely had an initial breakout. I took her off the accutane at six weeks, due to side effects from being prescribed too high a dose of accutane from her dermatologist. (A Stanford grad who insists he's never seen anyone with side effects before, and so he apparently felt free to dose her with 80 mg a day for her 112 pounds).

She barely had any scarring when she started the accutane but by the time I took her off, somehow at the very end of the six weeks, her face seriously scarred with both depressions and the same twisted rolling scars you are talking about, and yes, a horizontal depressed red line across her right cheek. Her scarring also seems to look different day by day. Some days I'm on the verge of calling her dermatologist because her face looks like it's melting in front of my eyes, and then the next it doesn't look so bad. It's actually quite frightening.

I'm hopeful that since she's off the accutane at this point that her scars might improve somewhat...however, now that she's been on high-dose accutane, it's also likely that her new acne blemishes will scar her even more. It's a real catch-22 situation. I don't know what to do, and the new dermatologist doesn't believe the scarring occurred from the accutane since she didn't see my daughter before the accutane, and her old dermatologist washed his hands of her when complications and the scarring arose.

Hope you are able to find some help. I suspect my daughter was referred to a university pediatric dermatologist because she's an expert with lasers. The new dermatologist did say that new lasers were coming very quickly now and that within a year perhaps there would be something that could help.

You have to realize that accutane is a really powerful drug and it's bringing all of the crap out of your system. It is natural for it to produce some light scarring after. I'd say most people have scar'd somewhat from accutane, myself included

I wouldn't consider this light scarring. It's very noticable, and people are making comments about it to me.

It comes with it, it's nothing to be discouraged about. You have breakouts all over for a long period of time it's only natural to scar up

It comes with it, it's nothing to be discouraged about. You have breakouts all over for a long period of time it's only natural to scar up

This is my 14 year old daughter. She went from little to no scarring at the start of accutane, with people commenting about how good her skin looked for the first month on accutane until two weeks later when people started commenting about how bad her scarring was.

This is not natural, and it is not normal.

Thank you for the link you posted QuirkyPixy. I appreciate your trying to help. :)

This is my 14 year old daughter. She went from little to no scarring at the start of accutane, with people commenting about how good her skin looked for the first month on accutane until two weeks later when people started commenting about how bad her scarring was.

This is not natural, and it is not normal.

lol, it is. If you break out in cysts, thats what tends to happen they leave marks. I was on accutane, I think I'd know as well

lol, it is. If you break out in cysts, thats what tends to happen they leave marks. I was on accutane, I think I'd know as well

I'm not going to continue to debate this. Your comments are not helpful, you know of your own experience and not my daughters. And in case you must know, my daughter doesn't have cystic acne, she has non-responsive acne.

I'm not going to continue to debate this. Your comments are not helpful, you know of your own experience and not my daughters. And in case you must know, my daughter doesn't have cystic acne, she has non-responsive acne.

:think: I don't know why she would be put on accutane then. Sorry, if you don't find my advice helpful, maybe someone here might be able to help you. Try calling the iPLEDGE hotline.

Thank you for the link you posted QuirkyPixy. I appreciate your trying to help. :)
No problem; I really feel for your daughter, having to deal with acne scarring at such a young age. Fortunately, because she is young her scars will probably heal better than those of people who scar from Accutane later in life when healing is already compromised naturally.

If you're not already, you should make sure she is eating a healthy diet and possibly taking some vitamins to make sure that her body has plenty of good fuel for healing. Exercise helps the process too! Anyhoo, you should definitely look into the suggestions posted by lamarr1986 and freedom in the thread I linked you to; they seemed to find some success with stopping this type of scarring. Good luck!

I never had cystic acne either. For the most part i had only a few pimples but somehow a whole bunch or red spots. The red spots covered both my cheeks. Nothing on forehead or anywhere else. And nothing else worked so they gave me accutane. After the first month things were great. I didnt eveen get an intial breakout and everybody seems to get one of those. But my skin would get so sensitive. Now i have red marks that are indented one hour and leveled out the next.