Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
newbieparent

HAS MY 7 YEAR OLD GOT BLOCKED WHITEHEADS?

Hi there, I hope I am posting to the correct forum. You may think I am being over fussy but I wondered if anyone could advise please? My seven year old has 3 white bumps on the nose and they have been there for some time. Because my child's skin is fair they are quite noticable. They do not have a head and appear to be under the skin. Wasn't sure what they were so asked a couple of beauticians for their advice and one of them said that they were blocked whiteheads and that the only way to remove them was to pierce them! I would not do that because I would not want to freak my child out and also do not want to cause any scars. Went to my chemist who suggested using 'Acinsal'. Is this too severe? Should a facial scrub be used so that the whitheads can come to the surface? Any advice much appreciated.

You should take your child to your doctor to determine if it really is acne and to see what you can do about it.

Edited by AKL

You should take your child to your doctor to determine if it really is acne and to see what you can do about it.

I think that's what I should do.. does seem rather young to have these spots. Thanks

I agree, if you are worried about the spots I would consider going to the doctor. I would strongly advise AGAINST using any acne products on your child's skin. Their skin is so much softer and a million times more sensitive than adults. Plus, you don't even know if it is acne.

I'm not a doctor, nor can I diagnosis anything. But, have you ever heard of keratosis pilaris? Keratosis pilaris is "the overproduction of keratin (a skin protein) causes tiny hair follicles to become plugged, causing the appearance of rough bumps on the skin". Maybe this is what it is? If you google the term kertaosis pilaris you can find a TON of websites that explain it. Here is a pic I found of a child with it http://www.healthline.com/images/adam/big/2523.jpg

Here is another quote that I found helpful.

"Keratosis pilaris occurs most commonly during childhood and produces small, rough spots (papules) that are typically skin-colored. They usually appear over the outer surface of the upper arms and thighs, but may also occur elsewhere on the body. Dry skin (especially during winter months) makes the condition worse. Keratosis pilaris tends to be inherited and may be associated with atopic dermatitis."

Good luck! :)

Edited by JillyKins9

Thank you Jillykins9 for you informative reply.

I have looked at the link you posted but it doesn't look like that. There a what looks like, 3 whiteheads in a row and they look like they are kind of just under the skin (if that makes sense) ie. they don't have a head. There was a blackhead near them which makes me think that they are more than likely whiteheads. I am just concerned that they are present in one so young and that my little one has noticed them. The pharmacist I spoke to said that the product is suitable for children but I hear what you are saying..childs skin being so sensitive. I just think my GP might think I am being silly and wasting his time. Would you really strongly advise against the use of product I mentioned? I have been using Johnsons 3 in 1 wash which has a very gentle exfoliant just to see if it is a build of dead skin that is blocking the pores.

Thanks again

You're welcome! Sorry I couldn't have been more help! :( The way you describe it does sound like a few pimples. But, I agree, it is weird to have at such a young age! Has the Johnsons 3 in 1 wash helped or made a difference yet? I know it can take a while before you can see results. You could always continue with that for a couple of weeks and if there isn't an improvement, then try the Acinsal? I've actually never heard of this product. Is it a salicylic acid? If so, how strong? If the pharmacist said it was suitable for children, I'm sure they are telling the truth! I just know that my face can be sensitive to some products, so I can only imagine how much more sensitive a child's face would be. You could always test the product on them, and if there isn't a bad reaction then use it?

Edited by JillyKins9

^

This

You're welcome! Sorry I couldn't have been more help! :( The way you describe it does sound like a few pimples. But, I agree, it is weird to have at such a young age! Has the Johnsons 3 in 1 wash helped or made a difference yet? I know it can take a while before you can see results. You could always continue with that for a couple of weeks and if there isn't an improvement, then try the Acinsal? I've actually never heard of this product. Is it a salicylic acid? If so, how strong? If the pharmacist said it was suitable for children, I'm sure they are telling the truth! I just know that my face can be sensitive to some products, so I can only imagine how much more sensitive a child's face would be. You could always test the product on them, and if there isn't a bad reaction then use it?

Jillykins9, thanks so much for your reply, just started using the Johnson 3 in 1 wash and so early days. You asked what strength the Acnisal is. It contains 2% w/w salicylic acid..so not sure how strong that is. I think it might be best to make a GP appointment just to put everyones mind at rest. Thanks so much for you advice.. would be interested to know what you think of the product strength.

Many thanks

Don't mess around with medications, newbieparent. A 2% SA concentration is used in products intended for adults too. I don't know if it would be harmful, but better safe than sorry, right? Do yourself and your kid a favour and make that appointment.

Acne in young children is rare and should be treated with some seriousness. In the case of children under the age of eight or nine, acne is often the sign of an underlying endocrine disorder, in which excessive production of male type hormones stimulates both acne and the premature development of the sexual organs - precocious puberty. In the case of a young child with acne, it is obligatory to consult a medical practitioner in order to eliminate an endocrine disorder or tumour as the underlying cause of the acne.

Jillykins9, thanks so much for your reply, just started using the Johnson 3 in 1 wash and so early days. You asked what strength the Acnisal is. It contains 2% w/w salicylic acid..so not sure how strong that is. I think it might be best to make a GP appointment just to put everyones mind at rest. Thanks so much for you advice.. would be interested to know what you think of the product strength.

Many thanks

You're welcome! :) 2% salicylic strength is pretty common with most acne products. However, that is what adults use. Seems too harsh to me to use on a 7 y/o's face. I find it interesting that the pharmacist said it was ok to use. I think seeing your GP is a good idea, they will probably have the best recommendations. Maybe it isn't even acne and it is something really minor! :) Best of luck to you!