Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lara6

Frustrated with "good fats"

It seems like everything with Omega 3's breaks me out - Fish oil, Flax, Walnuts, Canola oil

I already eat a low fat diet, but this makes me want to remove ALL fat, which I know is bad...

I really, really want to incorporate omega 3 into my diet, but I don't know how! It's frustrating that this ONE THING that has worked for so many people doesn't seem to be working for me...

Help!

You shouldn't put too much stock in the whole "good fats" thing. Plenty of people on this board respond poorly to omega-3 supplementation: some people report hives, others get cysts, and still others get a bunch of clogged pores. Use the search function and you'll find that you are certainly not alone, but in good company.

This should be your goal, nothing more nothing less: to find what works for YOU, be it low-fat, high-fat, meat diet, or vegan diet, or olive oil supplements. Accomplish this even at the risk of going against what seems like common knowledge. I know how frustrating it is to hear the myriad benefits of this and that nutrient, only to find that it makes things worse for you; you might even continue to take the supplement and endure the negative side effects because you hear so many good things about it. Worse still, you might begin to think here is something wrong with you. But let me tell you: There is nothing wrong with you, or the nutrient, for that matter.

Everyone's different, nutrition a young science, and so you just got to experiment. Truly, one man's medicine is another's poison. Chinese and Indian medicine seem to understand this concept, but modern nutrition is too occupied in categorizing. There are no such thing as bad fats or good fats, as these terms are all relative to who's ingesting them. Indeed, despite what the media purports in their story about the battle of nutrients, the "bad" fats like saturated and omega-6's are VERY important nutrients, just as important as omega-3.

And I, too, break out from fish oil, flax, walnuts and canola oil. Something is good only if it helps you.

It seems like everything with Omega 3's breaks me out - Fish oil, Flax, Walnuts, Canola oil

I already eat a low fat diet, but this makes me want to remove ALL fat, which I know is bad...

I really, really want to incorporate omega 3 into my diet, but I don't know how! It's frustrating that this ONE THING that has worked for so many people doesn't seem to be working for me...

Help!

Edited by john1234

Have you tried supplementing with GLA-containing oils such as evening primrose or borage? You may actually have a GLA deficiency, which can be aggravated by omega 3 consumption, resulting in breakouts and other nasty side effects.

I too break out from omega 3s and thought I was a freak because they seem to work wonders for most people. Zinc gives me huge jawline acne, as well; I kept taking it because I thought it would get better and start helping, but I kept breaking out and got some nice scars as a reminder that what works for some people doesn't always work for everyone. john1234 is absolutely right.

This might help you: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2821943

Edited by QuirkyPixy

Wow thanks, that's really helpful you guys.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!

I've been taking Evening Primrose Oil for about a week and a half. I also take zinc.

Is it possible that they are cancelling eachother out??

Edited by lara6

I don't think EPO and zinc would interact with one another, but you need to give the primrose oil several weeks to take its full effect of balancing your hormones and possibly your omega ratio, and make sure you're getting somewhere over 500 mg of GLA/day from it for therapeutic use.

Well Ok canola oil isnt healthy at all, i mean not even close.

Walnuts are a known allergen in nuts are you allergic??

And what ingredients are in your fish oil??

Might have something to do with your Omega 6:3 ratio. I know if that is out of whack it can cause inflammation throughout the body.

While both are essential fats; Omega 6 is put in almost everything we eat. Omega 3 on the other hand is essential and hard to come by unless you eat tons of fish.

I respond very well to Flax and Virgin Olive Oil.... lots of fish oils also contain Vitamin A and Vitamin D and even Vitamin E. It might be something else in the oil that's aggravating your skin. Also consider that many fish oils are rancid when they hit the shelves and you get the idea.

PANIC

Edited by Panic!!

there are no good fats, you pretty much need them all i think.

no so much the long chain saturated, but most def the mono unsaturated, polys arent exactly what they are made out to be, but they are needed as well, but not in large quantitys.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it was the iodine in the fish oil that broke me out...

But thanks for all the advice everyone! I will give the EPO more time...