Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hopeful42day

The Start of my Accutane Journey

Hey Everyone!

After researching all of the horrific side affects associated with Accutane, it was always something I was too scared to try. But after battling acne for a countless number of years, I decided that I didn't want to fight any more.

So I took the plunge... :boohoo:

Today marks the completion of my first week on Accutane 40mg/day and I decided to make note of my progress because it was the blogs/forums such as this one that inspired me to at least give this medication a try- and even if no one ever reads this, maybe one day this will help someone with their decision too.

As far as side effects go: My head is really itchy and I noticed I'm really tired lately (not sure if that's my fault or Accutane's though). My lips feel a little dry and tender... nothing that Blistex can't handle- yet anyways. My skin is more sensitive, although not dry yet and my nose feels really dry on the inside.. is there anything I can use for that? And my eyes are pretty dry as well.

I'm anticipating the dreaded "IB" which I don't think has happened yet- I've woken up to a few new zits here and there but they tend to go down the next day.

That's all for now, I'll keep you guys posted with any new updates as I enter week 2!

Edited by hopeful42day

hey best of luck on your course! my derm said putting a little aquaphor or vasaline in your nose will do the trick.

Really? Sweet! I'll give that a try- hopefully it'll help with the discomfort. Thanks :)

GOOD LUCK on your course! I started on 40mg/day and saw GREAT improvement during the first month.

For dryness, I recommend aquaphor. Dryness anywhere. Lips. Nose, inside and outside. Face. Hands. It's great!

GOOD LUCK on your course! I started on 40mg/day and saw GREAT improvement during the first month.

For dryness, I recommend aquaphor. Dryness anywhere. Lips. Nose, inside and outside. Face. Hands. It's great!

Sooo reassuring to hear that!! I've noticed that everyone recommends this aquaphor... but I don't think it's available in Canada, which is unfortunate because it sounds like an amazing product. I guess I will ask my derm if she can suggest something similar.

Thanks for the advice, I will be checking in on your log :angel:

Congrats on starting! I'll definitely be keeping up with your log! Reading people's logs really helped me, too, when I was deciding whether or not to go on accutane.

Congrats on starting! I'll definitely be keeping up with your log! Reading people's logs really helped me, too, when I was deciding whether or not to go on accutane.

Aww thanks! I'm super-excited for the side effects to start kicking in. I know I should be careful what I wish for but I just want confirmation that something is happening! I tried to access your log but it didn't work :(

How's your journey been thus far?

Surprisingly, my journey has been absolutely great! Somehow, I seem to have missed an IB. I've been utterly blessed! My skin is clearer now than it's been in quite a while!

DAY #8

Nothing really new and exciting to report.. the sides of my nose were burning when I got out of the shower and continued to burn until I was able to slather moisturizer all over it. I'm hoping this is a sign that the dry skin is coming.. I need to get this show on the road.

I broke out a bit... got 3 under the skin, which are not noticeable but it feels like they've made themselves quite comfortable and aren't going anywhere any time soon. I got two little white heads under my nose- the worst area ever :(

Other than that the only thing driving me crazy is my SUPER ITCHY HEAD! I bought head & shoulders because I wasn't sure what else to get.. I just washed my hair and it's still itchy! Though not AS bad as it was earlier.. I'm trying to refrain from constantly washing it.

On to pill #9 I go... almost done the first pack.. hooray!

:wavey:

Edited by hopeful42day

DAY #9

Well I think it's safe to say I'm experiencing my initial breakout. I'm just praying that it doesn't get worse than this.. it's not horrible but- okay it's pretty horrible. PLEASE let this be the beginning of the end. :pray:

I noticed that my skin feels a little tighter, not completely dry though- but when I put on my foundation it illuminates the dryness and peeling instead of concealing it like it's supposed to!

My lips feel more sore than dry.. maybe even a little swollen. Feels like the skin has peeled off and they require Blistex action 24/7.

My head is still itchy but is a wee bit better today. My eyes are dry and itchy- just like my head. My skin overall is definitely a lot more rough in texture than it used to be, I'm just happy SOMETHING is happening. I just hope it's something good!

I look forward to what new joys I will wake up to tomorrow...

Edited by hopeful42day

I had the super itchy head for about a few days a week or so into it. Luckily, it went away mysteriously. Hopefully it'll go away for you as well! I know that it was pretty persistent for about a week or so though.

Congratulations on your IB! It's the beginning of the end! Mine wasn't as bad as my dermatologist and I expected it to be. The cyst/red/inflamed/whitehead part was over in about a week. What I'm dealing with now is the blackhead IB, which has been helped along by Biore Pore Strips! When you get to the stage where your blackheads start getting pushed out of your skin, I HIGHLY recommend pore strips unless your skin is too dry/sensitive.

I hope that you can find a product similar to aquaphor. It's AMAZING! Carmex is the second best thing I've found.

Good luck, and stay strong! Don't let the IB get you down. I know you'll hear this a MILLION times, but the IB truly is the beginning of the end.

I had the super itchy head for about a few days a week or so into it. Luckily, it went away mysteriously. Hopefully it'll go away for you as well! I know that it was pretty persistent for about a week or so though.

Congratulations on your IB! It's the beginning of the end! Mine wasn't as bad as my dermatologist and I expected it to be. The cyst/red/inflamed/whitehead part was over in about a week. What I'm dealing with now is the blackhead IB, which has been helped along by Biore Pore Strips! When you get to the stage where your blackheads start getting pushed out of your skin, I HIGHLY recommend pore strips unless your skin is too dry/sensitive.

I hope that you can find a product similar to aquaphor. It's AMAZING! Carmex is the second best thing I've found.

Good luck, and stay strong! Don't let the IB get you down. I know you'll hear this a MILLION times, but the IB truly is the beginning of the end.

I do find comfort in the fact that your itchy head experience was only in the begining stages... I hope mine mysteriously goes away too- it's annoying! :( It's starting to feel a lot better today than it was a few days ago so that gives me hope!

Hahah thanks for the congrats! With nothing major in the first week I fooled myself into thinking I escaped it- but when I looked in the mirror this morning, that thought was shot to hell. As horrible as it looks, it's a little exciting :whistle: However, I was not aware of this blackhead IB and I'm SOO HAPPY you prepped me for it! I will keep Biore in mind, thanks! :)

I checked it out and I should be able to find Carmex here!

Thank youu for the kind words of encouragement Jerichoa... it really goes a LONG way and is much appreciated :wub:

DAY #14

Woohoo!!! Done week #2 and entering week #3!!! :dance:

I can't wait for this month to be over so my derm can increase my dosage next month. My side effects have been very minimal so far... skin is dry, but tolerable. Same with lips. I only notice the dryness because I know they're side effects, otherwise I'd say it seems pretty normal. Did anyone else experience minimal side effects during their first month on 40mg daily? Or is it just me? :( I WANT side effects because I want to know it's working.. gr!!!!

My itchy head has subsided THANK GOODNESS that was torture! It's still a little itchy but I can handle it. Still getting headaches quite regularly and I'm really dehydrated.

My skin is at a weird state. Even though I'm still breaking out (have been ALL week) I've notice that the texture has changed- if that makes any sense, the skin not occupied by zits looks really.. glowy! I've noticed a significant decrease in oil, which is a blessing- I'm not used to not being shiny all the time. I don't even have to touch up my make-up throughout the day any more and that's a first for me.

As far as breaking out is concerned I have zits pretty much everywhere but smaller than usual, except for the mutant on my upper cheek. Still patiently waiting for this IB to subside!! And I'm making a conscious effort to stop picking and popping, and quite possibly making my breakouts worse than they should be... starting now!

:wiggle:

Edited by hopeful42day

DAY #15

My IB is FINALLY starting to subside... that mutant on my upper cheek is drying up nicely and will hopefully disappear in the next 2 days or so. I do feel 2 new ones lurking under the skin, just praying that they fade away into nothingness and never break the surface :pray: They're small in size though, so even if they do surface- I can handle it.

The REAL test will be over the next 2 weeks because that's when my time of the month is scheduled to arrive. That's also when all hell breaks loose on my face- so the power of Accutane shall be put to the ultimate test :boohoo:

Other than worrying about what the next 2 weeks have in store for my skin... still no major side effects going on. My skin really is looking much better than before, totally loving the lack of oil! Under my chin, the sides of my nose, and my back feel really rough and bumpy. I'm thinking these are the blackheads making their way out- yucky!

Can't wait to increase my dosage!!! 2 more weeks....

Its working :) The IB will subside. And i found that my monthly breakout has drastically decreased in severity. Like the cysts don't even surface, and they disappear in about 3-4 days instead of 3-4 months! All the blackheads/whiteheads are a sign of new skin cell turnover and that the Tane is renewing you from the inside out. I feel you though on th IB blues. I had about a 4 month long IB on Minocycline. It was horrible. Hang in there :surprised:

Its working :) The IB will subside. And i found that my monthly breakout has drastically decreased in severity. Like the cysts don't even surface, and they disappear in about 3-4 days instead of 3-4 months! All the blackheads/whiteheads are a sign of new skin cell turnover and that the Tane is renewing you from the inside out. I feel you though on th IB blues. I had about a 4 month long IB on Minocycline. It was horrible. Hang in there :surprised:

Aw yay!! I like the sound of "new skin cell turnover", I'm in great need of new skin! That's interesting about the Minocycline- when I started breaking out like crazy on it, I came right off because I thought it was having the reverse effect. This site has enlightened me in so many different ways! I hope my monthly breakout becomes minimal, like yours did! I always get nervous when it's coming up. That's usually the week I try to not leave my house! Thanks for your comment :)

DAY #19- WOW! Already?

I must say, I started off as such a skeptic when it came to Accutane. I didn't want to get my hopes too high for fear of deep disappointment :hand: But I really am feeling confident in it now that I'm starting to see its effects- and I like what I see.

My skin is probably looking the best it ever has since... since... I can't really remember a time when my "skin" and "best" were really used in the same sentence now that I think about it. My constant picking and popping have left marks and they burn a little and I'm sure they're going to scab, but other than that.. I only have 3.5 actives (.5 because I had one surfacing yesterday and when I woke up this morning it was so teeny!!!) *knocks on wood*. That tends to change rather frequently though, so we'll see what happens.

Still no side effects worth mentioning... I'm actually enjoying the dry hair so I don't have to wash as much :angel: My biggest fear on this drug is hair loss... I have noticed that I've been shedding quite a bit but can't figure out if it's the normal, natural shedding, shedding I should be concerned about, or just me being paranoid.

I have to go for my 2nd blood test soon. So when I see my derm I'll see what she says.

So far so good!

I hope my side effects stay just the way they are when my dosage increases- I can wish!

Edited by hopeful42day

DAY 20...

*Sigh* well my monthly visitor is scheduled to come this week and there's really no need for me to look at a calendar to know because all of the evidence is on my face :angry: I'm breaking out like CRAZY- feels like there are a lot under the skin, waiting to explode all at once to ruin my life.

9 more pills to go until my first month is complete. I hope I start to see the positive side of things in month 2. Getting kind of discouraged... and I can't stop pickingggg... that's not helping my situation much either.

My hair is flakey- what kind of shampoo/conditioner do you guys use to control this? I've been using Head and Shoulders but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Other than my flakey scalp, no major side effects still- this makes me suspicious :think:

Guest DireStraits
Ahhhh!!! I have a MONSTER growing on my right cheek, as well as another one that is making its way to the surface :cry:

That is all.

:doh:

Bummer!

same boat

@DireStraits- this boat sucks!

My face hurts... they're EVERYWHERE!!!! *tears* Come on Accutane. Not to mention, my constant picking is making things so much worse. I'm not gonna pick, I'm not gonna pick, I'm not going to pick!!

On my way to get my blood work done :redface: I hate this part of the deal.

Edited by hopeful42day

wow, you remind me so much of myself. I have a terrible time holding myself from picking my skin. I just so damn hard. I hate feelign any sort if bumps on my face and the minute I zero in on one.. oh boy. I also get very nervous before going in to do my bloodwork but hope all goes well for ya!

@ Carmelle- Yes, I don't know why that is!! I just can't bring myself to leave it alone, it's horrible. But I'm trying- I did good today. Things probably wouldn't look AS bad if I didn't touch anything. Grr!! No one to be mad at but myself for that. Lesson learned.

DAY #22!!!

Went to get my blood work done today- that's never fun, I always have to turn my head to the side and make sure I have no idea what's going on. Because as soon as I get a glimpse of the needle... or the blood, I get soo woozy! Only 4 more blood tests to go.. :shifty:

My skin is definitely at its worst since I started on Accutane. It gave me a little hope, then ripped it right out from underneath me. I have about 6 huge actives right now, ugh. One of which I would've bet my life that it was going be GIGANTIC, but it just sort of shrunk over night so I was happy about that. Unless of course it's just waiting to come back with a vengeance, some zits can be cunning..

Still no major side effects to report.

Going to see my derm soon.. up my dosage and get this show on the road!!!

On to writing 2 research papers due on the same day- good times. 3 weeks to graduation!!!

Edited by hopeful42day

Its so weird, we are on the like same schedule here. I just finished my period, and my skin began clearing on day 3 of my cycle. By the time i went to the derm, all period cysts were gone! I talked to my derm today about it, and he said that in a few months, my period will not break me out anymore. Hmmmm, well i never!

so i think you are having #1 your IB, and #2 hormonal breakout. In viewing this site, it seems to me, that whenever someone has an absolutely horrible IB, their skin clears rapidly afterwards, and they end up with more dramatically clear skin. So i hope that this is the case for you buddy :)

p.s. for shampoos i think ill add it to my blog, check it for other product recommendations. here is a website that may help http://www.embarrassingproblems.com/problem/dandruff

@sunnicali- Haha it really does seem like we're on the same schedule! It's good to hear you started clearing up so soon on your cycle, i hope that happens to me too. The breakout is still very prominent but Accutane has them stagnant so they're not getting bigger or smaller, they're just chillin. Could be worse, right? I think you're right I got a 2 in 1 breakout... woo! For me, I have to see it to believe it about the period breakouts coming to an end- seems too good to be true at this point :(

Thanks for the website, definitely going to check that out!! Thanks so much for readinnggg :angel:

Edited by hopeful42day