Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
icdancer

Have experience with Murad or Philosophy?

I've determined that bp isn't right for me (it's cleared my skin like no other, but I do not like how my skin reacts in terms of elasticity and oil/dry). I'm keeping my Cetaphil face wash but am switching to a salicylic acid spot treatment with a retinol lotion. Both Murad and Philosophy offer lines with these products, and both have quite the reputation of being fabulous.

Does anyone have personal experience to share with these two lines?

Yes! I have tried BOTH and disliked BOTH veryyyy much!! They both made me break out horribly. I have used BP for years and feel the same as you...it cleared me up but I do not feel like my skin is healthy so 9 days ago I started a new regimen and I absolutely love it. It involves NO acne products and I thought I would breakout like crazy because I felt like my skin had to have acne products but I am finding out that is not true. I discovered the GMR (Goat's Milk Regimen) regimen here on acne.org. You can read about it here...http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Goats-Milk-Regimen-C-t141204.html

Let me know what you think!

What products did you use, and precisely why didn't you like it?

Yeah, everyone is different, but it's always nice to read things before spending so much on new products.

Guest Samantha0193

yeah murad did absolutely NOTHING for my skin, no change at all...never tried the other product you are talking about though.

I've used the entire Philosophy On a Clear Day system before and it did pretty good things for me. It didn't prevent pimples from forming, but they were never as severe or persistent as they were without the system. I do not have sensitive skin, but it is very dry.

The foaming salicylic wash is awesome, but you said you're keeping with the Cetaphil, so ignore this. It never dried my face out too much or irritated it but always felt clean.

The all over acne treatment is really nice because it delivers salicylic acid in a completely non-drying way. Using toner dried up my skin like no other, but this gel works just as well and feels much better.

The sulfur spot treatment is one of my favorite things. It stinks a little, but you only use it on small areas and it dries zits up overnight.

The retinol lotion is the one thing I have beef with. It never really improved my skin's texture or evened the tone and it is really expensive if you don't get the whole kit together AND it runs out the fastest. I would use this stuff at night and then a heavier moisturizer during the day so maybe my lack of results can be attributed to not using it twice a day but like I said.. expensive!

I researched Murad products right after seeing the advertises on tv. It is basically using the other ingredient in acne products that Proactiv doesnt use. The difference?

Proactiv uses 2.5% benzoyl peroxide as its main ingredient to kill acne causing bacteria: P.Acne. Its cleanser has a derivative of the apricot scrub in it to exfoliate skin and remove impurities. The toner has a small concentration of glycolic acid and witch hazel. the acne fighting cream is just 2.5% bp.

Murad uses Salicylic acid to exfoliate your skin. the cleanser is salicylic acid, the lotion is salicylic acid, and whatever the other thing in there was is retinol. this may initially cause break outs and is known to dry out your skin. Basically, the theory behind it lies it removing dirt and impurities from your skin and opening your pores so they dont clog up again.

so one kills acne, the other removes dirt.

Reporting back in on this one.

I bought Murad's Oil Control Mattifying Moisturizer with SPF 15, Spot Treatment (made with sulfur), and Skin Perfecting Lotion (contains minimal amounts of retinol).

The spot treatment broke me out like no other. I used it for a week. Garbage.

Other than that...I like it.

The oil control moisturizer keeps my very oil-prone skin in check all day. And I absolutely love the SPF now since the sun is shining. I highly recommend this. I just went to a derm yesterday and they said it's good, too.

The skin perfecting lotion is so-so. It gently exfoliates and is supposed to increase cell turnover. My skin does look a lot better, but not perfect. My derm wants me on a higher amount of retinol (Retin-A) so I'm switching to that.

But defnitely the Murad mattifying moisturizer is good!

I've tried lots of different creams, Proactiv, Carley's, etc etc. None of these worked miracles for my skin, but they didn't do much harm, either. I can't say the same about Murad. This is the only stuff I have tried that actually made my skin worse. Like way worse! I had red bumps ALL OVER my face and before that I just had a mild acne problem. This is the complete worst product I have ever tried. Would not recommend it! I think I remember it smelling really bad, too.