Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
evasion

Fruits for Breakfast

At my university the dining hall is very unhelpful with my diet. I am trying to eat gluten free and dairy free. So, this leaves me with eggs for breakfast and fruit. The eggs here are awful and I normally love eggs. If I eat only fruit for breakfast is that too much sugar? Is this unhealthy?

Make sure your eating them with either a source of fat or protein to srop the sugar spike.

But like fruits are low gi so dont worry.

I always eat just fruit for breakfast. Seems to work well for me :)

In my honest opinion, one cannot eat too much fruit. Yes, it is sugary, but it's pure, natural sugar that your body knows what to do with. Plus fruit's full of nutrients and fiber!

I eat my fair share of fruit throughout the day, including at breakfast. I don't think it's hurting, I mean come on...fruit is healthy!

Too bad you can't make some lentil soup for breakfast. It takes 10 minutes to cook. Add salt, curry and cumin and voila. It is very tasty, 30 grams of protein per 1/2 cup and seemingly hypoallergenic.

Make sure your eating them with either a source of fat or protein to srop the sugar spike.

Not all fruits are low GI. Some are high GI.

Berries, green apples, and kiwi are great. :) low sugars.

Dr. Fuhrman sells dried fruits.. all natural.. no suggar added.

it's ideal as snacks.

Edited by EddieE

Too bad you can't make some lentil soup for breakfast. It takes 10 minutes to cook. Add salt, curry and cumin and voila. It is very tasty, 30 grams of protein per 1/2 cup and seemingly hypoallergenic.

wow, 30 grams.. :P sounds good.. and I need protein.. I might try this.

I am eating way to much carbs.. I am trying to limit carbs.

I need to focus on vegetable more and some protein.

At my university the dining hall is very unhelpful with my diet. I am trying to eat gluten free and dairy free. So, this leaves me with eggs for breakfast and fruit. The eggs here are awful and I normally love eggs. If I eat only fruit for breakfast is that too much sugar? Is this unhealthy?

So you eat breakfast at school? Why not eat at home and go to school with a full belly :D

Thats mainly dried fruit.

watermelon and melon.

Thats all.

There is sooo many types of fruits these are only some.

besides thats why i said eat with a fat or protein source.

Isn't that against food combining rules? I read something that one should never combine fruits with protein, because they need different enzymes to be digested. The result is that neither of them are properly digested.

Edited by hesitation

there's a big misconception out there with fruit. you shouldn't look at the Gylcemic Index, you should look at the Glycemic Load. It gives you a much more accurate picture. when you do that you realize how minimal of an impact fruit has on your blood sugar. most fruit have GL from 3-8 which is nice and low. you should track what you eat and make sure your GL total for the day is never more than 75-100. basically, eat fruit for breakfast!!

So you eat breakfast at school? Why not eat at home and go to school with a full belly :D

I'm assuming they are on a meal plan in which buying extra food to cook yourself would be an extra expense that most college students can't afford.

I agree with hesitation. I have read that fruit is one of the most easily digested foods by our body and should be eaten alone and no other food within 20 minutes. For example, it is better to eat a couple pieces of fruit, wait twenty minutes, then have protein or fats or whatever. On the other hand, I have heard countless nutrionists say to eat an apple with peanut butter and such so who knows. There is so much contradictory information out there today that the best advice is to just try different things and see what works best for you. While on the subject of fruit, I happened to read an interesting article the other day by a man who suggests that fruit make up about half our diet . He suggests this because our closest relative, the chimpanzee, eats about 80% fruit diet and they have almost identical digestive systems as humans do. He says it is the main food we were intended to eat because our bodies are very well designed to pick fruit from trees and such, among other reasons I can't recall. I found it quite interesting.

He suggests this because our closest relative, the chimpanzee, eats about 80% fruit diet and they have almost identical digestive systems as humans do. He says it is the main food we were intended to eat because our bodies are very well designed to pick fruit from trees and such, among other reasons I can't recall.

Maybe that was true before humans lost their body hair so they could run meat sources to death in the noonday sun. Humans are meat eaters. Note that, whenever meat is available (often in the form of a dead chimp), that's all chimps eat until all the meat is gone. Kinduva clue there.

a) Most fruits people enjoy are high-fructose fruits. That's why they enjoy them. That's why they've been bred to maximize fructose, to make you love them more. A large sweet apple contains more excess fructose (over molar glucose) than a can of Coke.

b) "Natural sugars are fine." is just plain and utter magical thinking. Because people read about diabetes research and spinoffs thereof, they imagine blood sugar has something to do with acne, even though there's no very good proof of that (e.g., lower GI vaguely correlated with less acne, like so many other random vague correlations with acne).

c) Carbohydrate malabsorption absolutely, positively is exacerbated the most by eating high-fructose fruits. Carb malabsorption is exacerbated by living in dim indoor light conditions. Chimps may eat a lot of fruit, but they live in bright outdoor light all day. You don't. You live in dim indoor light that keeps telling your intestines it's nighttime, so saliva output is dropped, digestion is dampened, and excess fructose just makes a mess of your intestines.

d) Carb malabsorption is correlated with impaired ability to absorb both tryptophan and zinc, two chemicals directly relevant to acne. Tryptophan is required to make melatonin, melatonin is what stimulates skin cells to make more superoxide dismutase, zinc superoxide dismutase is the most direct antidote to excessive superoxide anions from the overreacting immune system, proven in the test tube at least to be the proximal trigger of acne.

So yeah, eat all the fruit you want -- if you live outdoors in bright sunlight 12 hours a day sans hat/sunglasses like chimps and then sleep in total darkness 9-10 hours each night at the same time every day of the year. But if you live in dim indoor light like most humans and do lots of other things to screw up your melatonin cycle (sleep less than 9 hours, sleep in light pollution, go to bed at different times on different days, use lots of caffeine, etc.), then high-fructose fruit is a good bet for making your acne worse. Starting off with a high-fructose breakfast will raise the odds that your digestion will be impaired all day long.

databased- I happen to agree with very little of what you said, especially the very last sentence, but that's fine. Everybody is different. I happen to have an outside job, part time of course as I am in college, but I still get at least 25 hours of direct sunlight a week, much more than most, as well as 8 hours sleep a night minimum. Please tell me you are not trying to say that drinking a coke is better than high fructose fruits. I have news for you; fruits are healthy. Our bodies need them. And fruit sugars ARE different from processed refined crap that is in coke and most of the junk people put into their bodies today. Our bodies are designed to handle fruit sugars, not just before we lost our body hair, but today as well. Yes, I know that chimps eat meat, but they still eat mostly fruit. I personally eat lots of meat, I'm just saying that i eat lots of fruit as well and I do not break out from eating fruit. I break out if I eat anything with refined sugar in it because my body does not want, need, or know how to process it. Fruit is natural, it is good for you. Unless you have some kind of extreme sensitivity to fruit you will not be a very healthy person for avoiding it. Even if eating fruit does break you out, would you really want to sacrifice your health for a few pimples? Plus, I am not suggesting eating an entire bag of grapes, five apples, 3 oranges, and a whole pineapple a day. I do not eat anywhere near that amount. I eat about 6 servings a day, for example, one banana, an apple, some watermelon, kiwi, mango, and blueberries.

However, I do respect your opinion and agree that a lot of what you said could possibly be true for some people. Certainly not everyone, and certainly not me.

Right well, I believe that fruits provide great sources of vitamins and minerals.

There is no point comparing fruits to Coke. It has more fructose sure.

Coke has more sucrose c'mon databased your better than that :)

Other than that your argument makes complete sense.

And bdonpowerlifter that is too much fruit.

2 or 3 is optimum but TBH there is much worse you can be doing.

I agree it may be too much fruit for some, but I have upped my intake to that amount for maybe the last two months, and my skin has seen no change whatsoever since then, for better or worse, so I see no reason to change.

I eat fruit and I enjoy it. Sometimes, I'll eat it with nothing else. Sometimes, I'll eat it with nuts or greens in green smoothies.

Fruit is NOT poison. Sure, too much can be bad, but it's difficult to take in too much fruit. It really depends on each individual's body. I, for one, eat TONS of bananas. This is in addition to the fruit I put into my smoothies. I have yet to break out from them.

People treat fruit like it's the devil - like it's something we shouldn't be eating. It's chocked full of vitamins, minerals and fiber that actually aid in preventing some of that sugar from being absorbed fully and spiking blood sugar.

I'd also like to point out that when I have a "high fructose" breakfast, my digestion is BETTER throughout the day. My typical morning starts off with 1 of the following:

1 banana

1 banana, walnuts

1 banana, walnuts, raisins

1 banana, raisins

I have had this for breakfast for almost 3 months now. On the mornings that I eat something different, like eggs, I tend to not go to the bathroom that day. When I eat bananas for breakfast and snack on an apple or something later, my body tends to fare better.

As far as acne? I have had no problems. When I started eating more raw fruits and veggies, it cleared up. Even on days when I'm too lazy to chop up some veggies and eat more fruit, it stays clear.

People need to test fruit for themselves. I can clearly handle fruit and it's definitely good for you. Other people may have intolerance, like to citrus. (I have chugged orange juice with absolutely NO adverse affects). I don't think people should eat mostly fruit, but I think it's equally as foolish to go spouting to the world how evil it is and that nobody should be eating it unless they live the lifestyle of a chimp. An apple is in no way comparable to a can of cola. The body will react differently to these items and it's up to people to see whether or not fruit affects them or not.