Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Teo94

Azelex and Retin A?

Ok, so ive been to the doctor 2 or 3 times and we've brought down my regimen to this:

Morning:

Wash face with warm water

Apply with Purpose Face Cleanser

Rinse with cooler water

Apply Azelex (20% azelaic acid)

Use neutrogena oil free moisturizer if skin is too dry

Night:

Repeat washing steps

Apply Retin A 0.1% 20-30 minutes after washing

I also take erythromycin pills day and night. My doctor first wanted to just prescribe the retin a alone, but when he "saw how unhappy i was" he gave me azelex too. He told me azelex would destroy bacteria on the skin during the day. My acne has improved somewhat,but i dont rly know cuz i dont look in my mirror ever anymore...I'm starting to think, is this too much? If ANYONE can get back to me with any help or any questions for me PLZ reply to this. Thank you.

I've seen people on that combination before. As long as you aren't getting excessive irritation or dryness, I think that regimen is fine. I use Finacea (same active ingredient as Azelex) and an over the counter product that is similar to Retin-A. Its a great combination for me and works really well to keep inflamed and noninflamed acne under control.

Ok, so ive been to the doctor 2 or 3 times and we've brought down my regimen to this:

Morning:

Wash face with warm water

Apply with Purpose Face Cleanser

Rinse with cooler water

Apply Azelex (20% azelaic acid)

Use neutrogena oil free moisturizer if skin is too dry

Night:

Repeat washing steps

Apply Retin A 0.1% 20-30 minutes after washing

I also take erythromycin pills day and night. My doctor first wanted to just prescribe the retin a alone, but when he "saw how unhappy i was" he gave me azelex too. He told me azelex would destroy bacteria on the skin during the day. My acne has improved somewhat,but i dont rly know cuz i dont look in my mirror ever anymore...I'm starting to think, is this too much? If ANYONE can get back to me with any help or any questions for me PLZ reply to this. Thank you.

I've had two drs. prescribe the Azelex in the morning w/nighttime retinoids (Tazorac and Ziana). I think it works well w/them. It's supposed to minimize the scarring. Just make sure to use a sunscreen.

so, can anyone tell me WHY sunscreen is so important for the actual ACNE? never got that

so, can anyone tell me WHY sunscreen is so important for the actual ACNE? never got that

Sunscreen is recommended mainly to prevent sun damage since acne products make the skin more susceptible to burning (especially retinoids like Retin-A). The products exfoliate the surface of the skin and also thin the top layers, which makes the skin more sensitive to the effects of the sun.