Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
omgu8myrice

Cyst on face for over a year now

I've had this somewhat large, noticeable cyst on my face for probably a year and a half now. I keep waiting for it to go away, but it hasn't changed at all.

I just finished up a course of accutane, still here. Doctor thought it'd be gone by the time it ended. I asked another Dr about it and he said I'd have to trade the cyst for a scar. Is there anything that can be done about these? It's truly awful!

Have you asked your derm about getting a cortisone injection? If he mentioned scarring, I assume he was talking about surgical excision of the cyst?

Is it an acne cyst or a sebaceous cyst...there is a difference. You might try to consult with a dermatolgist who practices with or also is a plastic surgeon and see exactly what the surgical options are. If it is an acne cyst it shold eventually go away...however if it is a sebaceous cyst (an old term for an even older term: a wen) then it has sebaceous material in it (like cotage cheese) and it must be removed (these are harmless) surgically. This type of cyst can become infected and should be removed.

I'd get another opinion and see what the surgical options are.

Joe Zit

Hate to break it to you, but if accutane didn't reduce it's size or get rid of it, and it has been like this for a 1 1/2 yrs, I'm afraid it's probably best to just get a scar out of it. Unless you want to get it lanced or a cortisone shot?

Would a cortisone shot remove it without leaving a mark?

The mark would only be there for maybe about 4 months or so, post accutane I received like 4 cortisone shots a month, a little mark is way better than a big cyst

My derm told me it could leave a permanent scar, or make my skin "cave in" in the area the shot is given. Not sure if I want that!

These types of dormant cysts that do not break even are caused by skin that has healed over the cyst. There might even be a network of blood vessels that have healed over the cyst.

I've had one of these on the surface of my skin, as well as a cystic type. I've gotten rid of all of them through vigorous exercise and keeping on a good exfoliation schedule.

When one neglects their skin for an extended amount of time..

(example : You washed regularly as a child, washed less, and less (found better things to do), and now you're back...)

... the matrix of your skin cells do not heal in an orderly fashion, or in a way that your body recognizes and can deal with. Skin also goes through a maturation process.

Have you been exfoliating all over parts of your body?

Think of skin as a large wrap. If all of the other parts of your body have stubborn pores, where will your body consider excreting waste through sweat?

Get a nice towel or cloth, get it luke warm and start scrubbing those under-arms, behind the knees, EVERYWHERE you can, but the face - you are probably already taking care of that. Never scrub the face. You will be absolutely shocked at how much dead skin builds up behind the knees. Think about the back, as well...

There is a chance a few new breakouts will occur on the body, but they go away fast.

My derm told me it could leave a permanent scar, or make my skin "cave in" in the area the shot is given. Not sure if I want that!

If the doctor properly dilutes the cortisone, you shouldn't have that problem. Even if you do get an indent, they are almost always temporary. It may take a few months to fill in, but the vast majority of the time they don't take that long. I would try to find a doctor that has a background in cosmetic surgery. One that I go to does and he extracted a pea-sized lesion that I had on my jawline for over 6 months. Then he did a cortisone injection. I did get a slight indent that took a couple months to fill in, but I did not end up with a scar. He also did another cortisone shot for me and I didn't get any indent that time. It often depends on the skill of the doctor doing the procedure.

I think if you have had a cyst that long, the likelihood of ending up with a scar is pretty high anyway. Having continual inflammation in the area for that long tends to damage the skin.