Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi this is my first post.

I've browsed these boards many times for helpful info. I wish I had found something that had helped me by now but I haven't.

Here's my acne story.

I had ok skin in my teens, did get the occasional breakout, but it was manageable. When I was 22, I started taking birth control pills. This really kept my skin clear. However, over time I realized it was screwing up other things...like I started to lose interest in guys completely. I also have some other health problems and was concerned that the extra hormones were contributing, although I really didn't know if they were. I did have my hormone levels checked and they were low at one point. Anyways, I am 35 now and made some long-term attempts to get off the pills. I think this past year might be the 3rd time I tried (although I have admitted defeat yet again). Well everytime I have stopped taking them my skin slowly got worse and worse. Technically, my acne would probably be considered "mild" - lots of clogged pores, blackheads, and some hard, sore red lumps (not sure the actual term for this). Well, this mild acne has left my face in ruins because I have OCD tendencies and turned into a skin-picker over this. I have always had a very perfectionistic type personality, especially when it comes to my appearance. I think this was because I was told most of my life how pretty I was and that's hard to live up to. So, anyways, I have scars on top of scars (shallow ones) pretty much all over my face, and tons of red spots. Tonight I had plans to go see a band and I got completely ready, makeup, hair, clothes - everything. Well, even with all the makeup on, all I felt I could see was my messed up skin. So, I didn't go, even though I knew the light would be dim. I have never felt so absolutely horrible about my appearance, ever. This is just eating me up inside, because I know if my skin didn't look like this I would feel 1000% better, but it seems like there is nothing I can do. I have depression and anxiety to begin with and this is making it worse if that is possible. I have been reading about lasers, but they are expensive and scare me. I just want to cry and cry, knowing I'll never have my beautiful face back :(

Thank you for listening to me vent. I don't wish this problem on anyone.

Im shure everyone can relate. . .ive been thinking about how easy life wuld be with a perfect complexion .but lately ivf been making excuses just because of my acne .and when in fact thats making me more depro .i just promised myself im gona enjoy life ! I knw my skin isnt perfect AT ALL .but everyone has their own flaws .they just dont make it so obvious cuz they arnt w0rried abt it.so why shud we be?

Im shure everyone can relate. . .ive been thinking about how easy life wuld be with a perfect complexion .but lately ivf been making excuses just because of my acne .and when in fact thats making me more depro .i just promised myself im gona enjoy life ! I knw my skin isnt perfect AT ALL .but everyone has their own flaws .they just dont make it so obvious cuz they arnt w0rried abt it.so why shud we be?

I know - it seems like everyone these days has an overdose of self-esteem, whereas I have none. And I probably should have more than most. I still have a decent figure at my age, I know I'm intelligent and kind, etc. But I guess my face is what I perceive shows "me" to the world...it's the most obvious thing about us. And I just want it to look 'ok', like it used to be. I'm still thinking about researching laser treatments or something else. I'm not sure. Keep up the positive attitude.

I sympathize with ya- I've got a ton of shallow scars all over my face as well, though not from picking. My only suggestion is to keep your chin up and try to work a bit on the scars to give you some hope of improvement. You could look into copper peptides, Retin-A, peels, LED lights, and dermarolling for the scarring. You have to get the active acne under control first though, so maybe you should visit a derm and/or look into changing your diet.

Edited by QuirkyPixy

I sympathize with ya- I've got a ton of shallow scars all over my face as well, though not from picking. My only suggestion is to keep your chin up and try to work a bit on the scars to give you some hope of improvement. You could look into copper peptides, Retin-A, peels, LED lights, and dermarolling for the scarring. You have to get the active acne under control first though, so maybe you should visit a derm and/or look into changing your diet.

Thanks Quirky. I saw people really liked some products from House of Deming for their red marks and scars so I'm going to try that. Lasers sound like a dangerous crap shoot, although I'm sure they've helped some people.

Has anything helped you?

Thanks Quirky. I saw people really liked some products from House of Deming for their red marks and scars so I'm going to try that. Lasers sound like a dangerous crap shoot, although I'm sure they've helped some people.

Has anything helped you?

I agree that lasers seem risky; plus they're EXPENSIVE! Depending on the type and depth of your scars, different things should help. I am just starting to treat my scars with Skin Biology Super Copper Peptide Serum in the morning and Renova .025% (like weak Retin-A) in the evening. Acids like AHA and SA and retinoids like Renova work to gently exfoliate the skin, while the copper peptides break down scar tissue and promote healing. Using Emu Oil on top helps these chemicals to penetrate deeper in the skin. I don't know how well these will work but others have reported good results, so I'm hopeful! :)

Has anything helped you?

I agree that lasers seem risky; plus they're EXPENSIVE! Depending on the type and depth of your scars, different things should help. I am just starting to treat my scars with Skin Biology Super Copper Peptide Serum in the morning and Renova .025% (like weak Retin-A) in the evening. Acids like AHA and SA and retinoids like Renova work to gently exfoliate the skin, while the copper peptides break down scar tissue and promote healing. Using Emu Oil on top helps these chemicals to penetrate deeper in the skin. I don't know how well these will work but others have reported good results, so I'm hopeful! :)

Good luck. I'll let you know how the stuff I get works. It sucks that it takes SOOOOO long to see if something helps or not.

I love how the people on this website offer so much support and I'm here for you as well.

But to be honest.....I'm so sick of these acne stories. Like acne really pisses me off. And hearing everyone's stories just pisses me off even more. Almost to tears. Like why does there have to be acne. I just.......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I;m having an accutane mood swing

I love how the people on this website offer so much support and I'm here for you as well.

But to be honest.....I'm so sick of these acne stories. Like acne really pisses me off. And hearing everyone's stories just pisses me off even more. Almost to tears. Like why does there have to be acne. I just.......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I;m having an accutane mood swing

I'm sorry. I just had to get it off my chest...was going out of my mind the other night. It was ok if nobody even read it, I just had to vent - felt like I was going to explode. I know, it's depressing stuff. I always think, why do we have to break out on our FACES of all parts of the body...it's the worst part. I'd rather have this stuff anywhere else.

I'm sorry. I just had to get it off my chest...was going out of my mind the other night. It was ok if nobody even read it, I just had to vent - felt like I was going to explode. I know, it's depressing stuff. I always think, why do we have to break out on our FACES of all parts of the body...it's the worst part. I'd rather have this stuff anywhere else.

Ditto! Could not have stated it better. Not saying that people with sever back acne is good, i myself would rather have it than on my face, especially around mouth and chin all the damn time. Ive avoided social events for over a year now so def know how u feel.

I wish I had foot acne instead of face acne

I know what you mean. I have face, neck, back, chest, body (sometimes boobs, butt, and stomach) acne. And I have a nasty ingrown toenail to boot! I'm just a mess. :boohoo:

But we're here - so that's a start on getting our skin under control :surprised: Right?? :shifty:

Edited by RachL809