Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello

I have been away from this forum for slightly over 6 years. Things went downhill for me.

I don't know if this is the right sub forum, hopefully a Mod could advise me on this.

I have questions regarding hyper pigmentation, Microdermabrasion and lazer hair removal.

*What is best/most effective/widely used Lazer for Hair Removal in dark skin?

*Has there been any new Lazers, advancements for Dark Skin people?

Is Maya still around? , I remember her from way back when I registered. Hopefully if she is still here, she can provide some input and also tell me if this is the right subforum.

Thank You

Since you're asking about a few different things, this is an okay board to post on. If you were asking about each of those things in their own, separate threads, there would be more appropriate places to post, but this board will do. Or, if you want, I can move this to the Light/Laser Acne Treatments board. Let me know. ; )

I haven't seen anyone called Maya on the boards, though.

Hello

I have been away from this forum for slightly over 6 years. Things went downhill for me.

I don't know if this is the right sub forum, hopefully a Mod could advise me on this.

I have questions regarding hyper pigmentation, Microdermabrasion and lazer hair removal.

*What is best/most effective/widely used Lazer for Hair Removal in dark skin?

*Has there been any new Lazers, advancements for Dark Skin people?

Is Maya still around? , I remember her from way back when I registered. Hopefully if she is still here, she can provide some input and also tell me if this is the right subforum.

Thank You

Hey! Actually I have dark skin and I am getting laser hair removal. The best laser for dark skinned people is the Candela GentleYAG. Make sure the dermatologist you goes to has that. I would call and ask ahead of time what kind of laser they have, usually a doctor or certified nurse will call you back to answer your question. Ask if you can speak to the dermatologist not the secretary who answers the phone!

I am getting it done on chin and sideburns and partly on my neck and upper lip as well. I am really glad I did it because it's working like charm after just a few treatments I see a reduction in hair and no hyperpigmentation. The GentleYAG has a cooling system that cools the skin a split second before the laser hits. It's the most efficient and recommended laser for dark skin. Look it up :) I did a lot of research before I started including reading up and asking people. Let me know if you have any questions.

Since you're asking about a few different things, this is an okay board to post on. If you were asking about each of those things in their own, separate threads, there would be more appropriate places to post, but this board will do. Or, if you want, I can move this to the Light/Laser Acne Treatments board. Let me know. ; )

Hello, thanks for the swift reply.

I could breakdown my questions to

a) Lazer Hair Removal

b) HyperPigmentation

c) Microdermabrasion .

Guess I'll ask about the Lazer Hair Removal first, so is this board the right place for Lazer Hair Removal?

About Maya. She was a prolific poster when I first came here. She had lots of advice and regimen plans. I got the feeling she was one of the more senior and respected posters here. I did a search here and see that her last posting was April 2004, assuming I did the search properly.

Hey! Actually I have dark skin and I am getting laser hair removal. The best laser for dark skinned people is the Candela GentleYAG. Make sure the dermatologist you goes to has that. I would call and ask ahead of time what kind of laser they have, usually a doctor or certified nurse will call you back to answer your question. Ask if you can speak to the dermatologist not the secretary who answers the phone!

I am getting it done on chin and sideburns and partly on my neck and upper lip as well. I am really glad I did it because it's working like charm after just a few treatments I see a reduction in hair and no hyperpigmentation. The GentleYAG has a cooling system that cools the skin a split second before the laser hits. It's the most efficient and recommended laser for dark skin. Look it up :) I did a lot of research before I started including reading up and asking people. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi.

How safe is this particular lazer and is it the most widely used? How effective is it?

I am from Ceylon/Sri Lanka (similar to Southern India), so my skin is more or less the color of that film director M Night Shyamalan.

Oh and I am male and the treatment is for my face. Some hairs are thick black, some are thin black and some are mostly colorless/white, like the hairs on a Peach.

Since hair removal Lazers need pigmentation to work, I assume the lazer won't work on the Peach Fuzz/White hairs? Is there any other lazer treatment that would work on this Peach Fuzz like hairs? Many years ago I read about a Lazer treatment that uses Charcoal to dye these white/Peach Fuzz like hairs then a Lazer is used.

I live near Milwaukee Wis, and have traveled as far as Chicago for Dermatological and Hair removal treatment. This was way back in 2004 and I didn't see any effect so I stopped going due to the 90mile drive.

Are some Doctors well known for specializing in Dark Skin and are there any of these Doctors in my area (Between Chicago and Milwaukee).

Edited by Miserable

Hello, thanks for the swift reply.

I could breakdown my questions to

a) Lazer Hair Removal

b) HyperPigmentation

c) Microdermabrasion .

Guess I'll ask about the Lazer Hair Removal first, so is this board the right place for Lazer Hair Removal?

About Maya. She was a prolific poster when I first came here. She had lots of advice and regimen plans. I got the feeling she was one of the more senior and respected posters here. I did a search here and see that her last posting was April 2004, assuming I did the search properly.

I guess if you wanted to post a thread about laser hair removal, the most appropriate boards would be either The Lounge (since it's not actually acne-related) or the Cosmetics And Style board. The Red Marks Left After Acne board would be where you'd ask about hyperpigmentation. I suppose Microdermabrasion would probably fit best on the Scar Treatments board.

And that's the same info that I got when I did a search for Maya, so...

I guess if you wanted to post a thread about laser hair removal, the most appropriate boards would be either The Lounge (since it's not actually acne-related) or the Cosmetics And Style board. The Red Marks Left After Acne board would be where you'd ask about hyperpigmentation. I suppose Microdermabrasion would probably fit best on the Scar Treatments board.

Hi

I'll make a thread in the cosmetics board about the Hair Removal. I was innitially thinking the Light/Lazer forum but thats only ACNE so I'll stick with your suggestion.

I didn't see a Lounge subforum.

Hi

I'll make a thread in the cosmetics board about the Hair Removal. I was innitially thinking the Light/Lazer forum but thats only ACNE so I'll stick with your suggestion.

I didn't see a Lounge subforum.

The Lounge isn't a sub-forum. It's our off-topic board for non-acne-related posts. ; )

As you can see from my picture, I have pretty dark skin (originally from India). The GentleYAG will work on black hair on dark skin. No lasers that I know of work on white hair since it needs pigment. I don't know of charcoal dyeing or anything like that. To find doctors with the GentleYAG you need to look up dermatologists in your area (Internet? Phone book?) and call them. If you live near a big city (which you do) there is no reason at all you should have to drive 90 miles. Someone near you will have a GentleYAG. They are very good and very common lasers.

Good luck.

As you can see from my picture, I have pretty dark skin (originally from India). The GentleYAG will work on black hair on dark skin. No lasers that I know of work on white hair since it needs pigment. I don't know of charcoal dyeing or anything like that. To find doctors with the GentleYAG you need to look up dermatologists in your area (Internet? Phone book?) and call them. If you live near a big city (which you do) there is no reason at all you should have to drive 90 miles. Someone near you will have a GentleYAG. They are very good and very common lasers.

Good luck.

Hello

I went to the Candela website , they have a section where you can find Derms/Practitioners near you who have the Laser.

I am rather ambivalent of just going to any ole doctor or Aestheticians due to a past screw-up that caused all the problems I have.

So I was looking online to see if this one Doctor who I went to to fix my problems would have the GentleYag. He has the GentleMax which according to the Candela website combines the best of the GentleLase and the GentleYag. I like this Doctor because he is well known, has appeared on Oprah and most importantly he doesn't rush you out, he listens and is patient. Back when I went , he said he would do the best he could but my skin problems were touch and go so he couldn't make promises but would try. Only issue is he is a 90mile drive each way:(

Do you know anything about the GentleMax?

Here is the website info on GentleMax

http://www.candelalaser.com/products/index...?task=gentlemax

Website info on GentleYag

http://www.candelalaser.com/products/index...?task=gentleyag

I prefer going to a place that has Dermatalogical doctors on staff well versed in Skin problems and where the Nurses/Aestheticians just follow Doctor orders as opposed to a place where Aestheticians make the decisions. What kind of place did you go to?

Have you noticed any side effects? Like bigger pores or holes or hyperpigmentation or scarring or burning?

SweetSleep

I got a question. On another forum (Cosmetic enhancement forum), I read that using laser on areas where the hairs are few and far between and is not coarse and dense would actually stimulate new hair growth in these areas which previously had no thick hairs or any hairs at all. That laser is only to be used on areas where there are lots of hairs/dense areas and on coarse hair.

When you got the laser treatment on your face, was the laser ever used on areas where hair was few and far between ?

Reason being, I need to remove the hairs above my beard line which are a combination of thick hairs and mostly fine thin hairs. But unlike my beard the thick hairs are few and far between.

SweetSleep

I got a question. On another forum (Cosmetic enhancement forum), I read that using laser on areas where the hairs are few and far between and is not coarse and dense would actually stimulate new hair growth in these areas which previously had no thick hairs or any hairs at all. That laser is only to be used on areas where there are lots of hairs/dense areas and on coarse hair.

When you got the laser treatment on your face, was the laser ever used on areas where hair was few and far between ?

Reason being, I need to remove the hairs above my beard line which are a combination of thick hairs and mostly fine thin hairs. But unlike my beard the thick hairs are few and far between.

Sorry I didn't get back to you.

Lasers remove any hair which is dark. It works by targeting the hair and sending a pulse down through the hair to the root where it kills the follicles. The hair with then die and slowly work it's way out of your skin over the next week. Do no tweeze, wax or pluck the areas to be treated for at least 6 weeks prior to treatment. You can shave or use a trimmer. It will take at least 3-4 treatments to kill each hair follicle because that's how many "hairs" regenerate from one follicle.

You can use the laser anywhere. Coarser hair will get more laser treatment because it's thicker but any dark hair will be treated, doesn't matter how thin it is. The one that has worked best for me is the Candela GentleYAG laser- I would not try any other if I were you! It will take more treatments and cost more. I know because I've wasted $2000 already on a laser that doesn't work. The GentleYAG is working beautifully. The hair falls out within a week after treatment and I have a smooth chin :) I get treatments every 4 weeks for my face and should be done soon.

Hope that helps.