Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
olive14

My powder foundation leaves my skin looking dull and lackluster. Any tips for a good liquid foundation that won't make my skin oily?

Okay so here's my dilemma: I have fairly oily skin, but that's been improving since I stopped using so much moisturizer, my skin doesn't suffer with my new face wash by using less moisturizer. So for a while, since I was so prone to breakouts, the only foundation I was able to use was Bare Minerals, and then Studio Gear. Basically any powder foundation.

But my dry powder leaves my skin looking really dull without any shine or vibrance or anything. Also, I have to put so much on to cover my hyperpigmentation that it makes my face darker, and I have very pale skin, that I like to maintain looking pale.

Any ideas on a good foundation that won't make my skin oily or break out? Liquid, since I think that might make my skin look more alive haha. Or am I wrong? Is there a better powder out there maybe?

Edited by olive14

Okay so here's my dilemma: I have fairly oily skin, but that's been improving since I stopped using so much moisturizer, my skin doesn't suffer with my new face wash by using less moisturizer. So for a while, since I was so prone to breakouts, the only foundation I was able to use was Bare Minerals, and then Studio Gear. Basically any powder foundation.

But my dry powder leaves my skin looking really dull without any shine or vibrance or anything. Also, I have to put so much on to cover my hyperpigmentation that it makes my face darker, and I have very pale skin, that I like to maintain looking pale.

Any ideas on a good foundation that won't make my skin oily or break out? Liquid, since I think that might make my skin look more alive haha. Or am I wrong? Is there a better powder out there maybe?

I use Neutrogena Skin Clearing foundation. It is oil free and non-comedogenic, which are a definite must for me! I like the coverage it provides, it's not sheer but not heavy. You can also apply more or less depending on how much coverage you want. There is a small amount of salicyclic acid (0.5%) which is supposed to help treat and prevent new acne (microclear technoloy as they call it). In my opinion, this isn't enough to dry out your skin if it is sensitive. Also, the foundation helps control shine. There is also a powder version of this, but I haven't tried it.

Clinique has a foundation called Superfit that is supposed to help "wisk away" extra oil and shine, but in my opinion it didn't really do that. My face still seemed to get oily and the coverage seemed a little too heavy for me. I do however love Clinique's Blended Face Powder (it's a loose powder). I use the Invisible Blend, which anyone can use. It's great at helping my makeup stay shine free, and can be applied at anytime during the day to help with shine. It doesn't look cakey either like some powders do!

I use the powder version of the Neutrogena JillyKins mentioned. I don't find it to be dulling at all. I've been using it for a little over a year and love love love it.

Also, I hate Clinique. Js.

I just posted a thread about Silk Naturals foundation, which I really really really love ^_^

Check it out and see if that might be what you're looking for. The amazing thing about Silk Naturals is that they literally have formulas for everyone, and you mix your own shade. You can have oil control while maintaining that glowy look :)

The thread is on this page, called "Miracle Makeup".

I swear I'm not a spammer :) I just think a lot of people here could benefit from this makeup ^_^

I really like Lancome Tiente Idole. It has great coverage and doesn't cause me to breakout. It is very hard to find liquid foundation that doesn't contain pore clogging ingredients, but as far as I know, this one doesn't.

i use revlon new complexion, its super easy... you just have to put the one product on and it keeps up pretty much all day, maybe a bit of a touch up much later. but my skin isnt too oily, just sensitive.. so it may be a bit oily for severe cases, and i only wear it when going out for the night. cost about 11 bucks

make up for ever mat velet+. it controls shine, has great coverage without having to cake it on, and its oil free and non comdegenic! honestly its the best liquid foundation ive ever used! you should really check it out.

i have a few and most are actually drugstore (i am fair and combo, my mom is oily;

and medium so it may be a good medium for you...)

the revlon color stay works really well. they have it in normal/dry and combo/oily. it doesn't break me or my mother out (and my mother's skin is really really bad and sensitive) and has pretty good staying power on her oily skin.

the covergirl that was with the blue lid... i think it's clean oil free, fragrance free... my mom and i both used that for a while before we met the revlon and we liked it. it didn't break us out, was pretty blendable and easy to mix shades, and cheap but the staying power wasn't the greatest.

there was a neutrogena i used that i really liked... i think it was clear foundation.... i had a square tan cap and the bottle itself was kind of square. it was really light but added life to my face.

i DO NOT RECOMEND a neutrogena that came in a tube. (i'm sorry i can't remember the name) but it was packed with shimmer. with your oily skin, it would make you look like a light bulb. stay away from that one.

I think that the best powder and foundation is by Bobbi Brown! They have amazing products and I have been using them religiously for almost 10 years. They have oil free powder (sheer finish powder...loose or pressed powder) and they just came out with an awesome, awesome, awesome oil-free foundation a little over a year ago.....amazing stuff. I have very oily skin and I use foundation from time to time and this stuff feels great and looks amazing. I really think that you will get the look that you want, with the skin texture you desire. Bobbi Brown is also really great about letting you try the products for quit sometime and returning them if you are not satisfied with results....doubt that will happen. I have suggested to many of my friends and they have used it for years as well. I hope this works.......give it a shot.....believe me you won't regret it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that the best powder and foundation is by Bobbi Brown! They have amazing products and I have been using them religiously for almost 10 years. They have oil free powder (sheer finish powder...loose or pressed powder) and they just came out with an awesome, awesome, awesome oil-free foundation a little over a year ago.....amazing stuff. I have very oily skin and I use foundation from time to time and this stuff feels great and looks amazing. I really think that you will get the look that you want, with the skin texture you desire. Bobbi Brown is also really great about letting you try the products for quit sometime and returning them if you are not satisfied with results....doubt that will happen. I have suggested to many of my friends and they have used it for years as well. I hope this works.......give it a shot.....believe me you won't regret it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with ladybug5000, Bobbi is great! I've also used MAC, but I think Bobbi is better. :D Some people have broken out on MAC, I thought I would too, but I just made sure to thoroughly clean my make up off every night, and it was okay.

One reason why your powder is making your face grey could be it's the wrong shade for your skin, you'l probably need something a bit darker, with just a bit of yellow undertone.

Also, have you tried using a concealer before your foundation, it might help so you won't have to apply as much and make some spots dark instead of red.

I love the organic line of makeup by Nvey Eco. I use the liquid foundation and am surprised at how little I need to cover my entire face. Also, it's great for layering if you need a little more coverage and doesn't take away your skin's natural glow. They also have amazing colors which is what drew me to the line. I have an in between skin tone that is hard to match. You can go to their website and view all of their products. They also have a pancake makeup that is pretty thick and will cover just about anything. I use it for stage makeup because it just lays on a layer that works really well as a blank canvas. Good luck!

Moisturize before you apply powder foundation. Or mix a bit of moisturizer with your powder foundation. That helps too. If you apply to dry skin, it is going to appear dry and dull. Your skin needs natural oils. We lose them through washing our skin and other epidermal tasks.