Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThatAnnaGirl

Eight weeks and STILL FLAKY/DRY?

I think I started off using too much BP, so I've backed off this week and am starting over with a dime size amount. I'm no longer red, but for the past six weeks I've been on the regimen, I have been so incredibly flaky and dry I can't even apply ANY makeup. None.

I've been washing, treating, and moisturizing (with six drops of jojoba oil) day and night. Almost every night I'll do a jojoba oil massage, and that helps A LITTLE. Do you have any idea when this flakiness will LEAVE?! Is this just a symptom of BP? Will I EVER be able to wear makeup again? I'm willing to continue for a month or two longer if it will get better.

Also, is it a coincidence that the first time I used AHA+ my skin peeled like CRAZY? I thought it was supposed to moisturize and get rid of the flakes! Feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. I might hug you. Virtually.

Edited by ThatAnnaGirl

EDIT#2: Cure Natural Aqua Gel is a gentle exfoliator that works great!! Skin is definitely smooth.. much better than the AHA+. This product is my HG!

Edit#1: No more flaky/dry skin since using less bp than before! + exfoliating with jojoba oil + putting a layer of jojoba oil before bp + few drops of jojoba oil in my moisturizer... (yep.. lots of jojoba..!) :dance:

I was wondering the same thing... I have been on the regimen for about 2 months and a half now.. and still dealing with the flakiness.. I started using jojoba oil last week and it does help.. but not much. I don't use too much bp either. =/ (at least i'm clear.. but still..)

Edited by leakt

I was wondering the same thing... I have been on the regimen for about 2 months and a half now.. and still dealing with the flakiness.. I started using jojoba oil last week and it does help.. but not much. I don't use too much bp either. =/ (at least i'm clear.. but still..)

Same. Since I use the jojoba oil and massage, it helps, but then the dead skin just sits on my face instead of flaking off. I have been on the Regimen just over 2 months as well... Not sure what to do :( I am not even completely clear!

Once you're staying consistently clear, you can try gradually decreasing the amount of BP you're using--like when you were increasing it, but in reverse.

Step it down about a half pump at a time, and each time, give your face a few weeks to see how it goes. If you start breaking out again, you may need to increase the BP again. If you stay clear, you can try decreasing it a little more.

By doing this, you should be able to fine tune The Regimen and figure out the exact amount of BP you need to use to stay clear, and cutting back on the BP should help with the dryness.

And if exfoliating with jojoba oil isn't working for you, you might consider trying the baby brush method.

As for the AHA, it works by breaking down the "glue" that holds dead skin cells together, so that might be why you peeled after using it. It might have just loosened up a whole bunch of dead skin. If you use it on a regular basis (2-3 times a week), it should help keep the flaking down.

Are you adding any extra jojoba oil to your moisturizer? If not, give this a try.

Only use the AHA lotion about 2-3 nights per week. You don't want to overdo it.

I had some crazy flakiness on my chin and upper lip the third day. I hit it with Proactive Exfoliation cream (has fine sand particles that scrap dead skin off of your face), and that got rid of everything :D

Six weeks? That's definitely still early. I was very flaky and dry then. Still get dry now, and actually - I still get flaky sometimes, but if I exfoliate with jojoba oil it cuts down on the flakiness. (It's the 3rd month for me) It gets better with time, I'm sure.

Find a strong moisturizer off the regimen. The flakiness clogs your pores, leading to more acne. The dryness can age your skin a lot faster. Something I used for ragingly dry skin was Jergens Ultra Healing body lotion. I thought it clogged pores because it didn't say otherwise, but my dermo assured me that it didn't. I STRONGLY recommend it.

I've been on the regimen since September 09. It's been 6 months and I still have flakes on my lower cheeks and jaw line... good luck. I use jojoba morning and night with my moisturizer. The best I've found so far is Cerave Moisturizing lotion. Nothing I've tried has gotten rid of all the flakes. It is also been a cold winter where I live.

I've been on the regimen since September 09. It's been 6 months and I still have flakes on my lower cheeks and jaw line... good luck. I use jojoba morning and night with my moisturizer. The best I've found so far is Cerave Moisturizing lotion. Nothing I've tried has gotten rid of all the flakes. It is also been a cold winter where I live.

Wow, Tara, that's pretty bad! It could just be the winter, though. Let's hope so! Anyway, have you tried AHA? I've bought some and am going to use it once I'm at the full dosage of BP.

tarabear,

i have the exact problem except i started in oct 09. And same flakes in same area.

Which cleanser are u using? I was using purpose and then switched to olay and it helped for a bit, but the weather here is crazy and goes from cold to hot.

Do you use AHA?

C'est one of the moderators suggested using a scrub with silica beads to exfoliate since its less harsh. Right now iam searching for one

Edited by ILoveMyPuppy

tarabear,

i have the exact problem except i started in oct 09. And same flakes in same area.

Which cleanser are u using? I was using purpose and then switched to olay and it helped for a bit, but the weather here is crazy and goes from cold to hot.

Do you use AHA?

C'est one of the moderators suggested using a scrub with silica beads to exfoliate since its less harsh. Right now iam searching for one

Tell me when you find a good one, will you?

I've been slathering on the moisturizer&jojoba oil and AHA+ on alternative nights. Works really amazingly for the flakiness! I've even been able to apply some makeup, today. :)

I've been slathering on the moisturizer&jojoba oil and AHA+ on alternative nights. Works really amazingly for the flakiness! I've even been able to apply some makeup, today. :)

I've been on the regimen for almost four months now and had been experiencing REALLY bad dryness and flaking the whole time. Not to mention the fact that the texture of my skin was beginning to resemble that of sandpaper (not attractive)! My face saw SIGNIFICANT clearing of acne but the dry itchiness was enough for me to consider calling it quits.

I decided to try applying BP (a very ample amount) only at night. In the morning I just wash my face with Purpose cleanser and apply CeraVe lotion with a few drops of jojoba oil. I also apply AHA+ at night 2-3 times/week and that does help with the flakiness. I have only been experimenting with this once a day BP for about 5 days now but my skin texture has improved greatly and doesn't seem to be breaking out. Hopefully this will last and I can continue this routine successfully! It seems like maybe you won't have to take this path since your dryness has been improving but if it doesn't go away to your satisfaction then maybe this will be an option for you to consider.

omg i totally get what your saying, its the exact same thing for me too! soo dry and flaky, i can only wear barely any makeup. i use a lot of jojoba and moisturizer and it doesnt help. ive been on the regimen for over a month and have had really clear skin about twice..then i picked but anyways...i also tried the aha one night when i was reallyyy dry, and it made my face drier and i havent used it since then. also, the jojoba massage thing doesnt work for me. im kinda frustrated at times, but i find that when it gets unbearably dry, i stop using bp which i know is bad, and load up on jojoba, and my skin seems to get better for like 2 days, then i have to start using bp again cuz ill break out a little..and the dryness cycle starts over..*sigh* what to do...

omg i totally get what your saying, its the exact same thing for me too! soo dry and flaky, i can only wear barely any makeup. i use a lot of jojoba and moisturizer and it doesnt help. ive been on the regimen for over a month and have had really clear skin about twice..then i picked but anyways...i also tried the aha one night when i was reallyyy dry, and it made my face drier and i havent used it since then. also, the jojoba massage thing doesnt work for me. im kinda frustrated at times, but i find that when it gets unbearably dry, i stop using bp which i know is bad, and load up on jojoba, and my skin seems to get better for like 2 days, then i have to start using bp again cuz ill break out a little..and the dryness cycle starts over..*sigh* what to do...

Dry again. I feel your pain!

Dry again. I feel your pain!

I'm in the same boat you are. I moisturize like crazy and use jojoba oil both morning and night. It seems like it doesn't matter how much moisturizer I use, it doesn't help. I've just started using AHA, the next day my face was even flakier, which pissed me off LOL. But, I guess this is common because the AHA gets rid of the dead skin. Sooo yeah. I'm going to try decreasing the amount of BP I'm using. I'm thinking my skin just doesn't need as much as Dan is recommending. A lot of people have just as much success using less BP. So, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that it works, my face isn't dry and I don't break out! AAAAHH so frustrating!

Sorry if this is depressing, but I've been on the regimen for over 3 years, I still experience considerable flaking.

Sorry if this is depressing, but I've been on the regimen for over 3 years, I still experience considerable flaking.

Ok, I didn't need to hear that! :( HAHA Have you tried decreasing the amount of BP you're using? I decreased the BP yesterday, am doing jojoba oil rub in the morning before I shower and then using AHA at night. Today my skin is MUCH better looking! No flakes YAY! But yeah, the dryness is kind of unpredictable and comes and goes I've noticed over the last few weeks.

I've had great results using Vaseline on my skin at night.

Routine:

Wash face with PURPOSE face soap.

Wait 10-15 minutes.

Apply a THICK layer of benzyol peroxide all over my face and jawline.

Wait 10-20 minutes.

Apply a think layer of Vaseline (straight from the tub!) all over my face.

I even apply the Vaseline on my eyelids and around my eyes. It really helps with any fine lines and dryness on the eyes.

I sleep with a towel on my pillowcase, because Vaseline is a heavy moisturizer. When I wake up in the morning, it is completely absorbed into my skin. It helps to heal peeling pimples.

Vaseline is NON-Comedogenic. It will not clog pores. At least according to the information on the side of the packaging. I have not experienced any breakouts related to the Vaseline.

Now that my skin is no longer peeling, I have not been using Vaseline - just a basic moisturizer. When I start notice peeling and flaky-ness, I use the Vaseline.