Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest DireStraits

Shows Over Acne!

Guest DireStraits

yO!

Well Long story short 22/M student plagued with mild to moderate acne, sick of my life being limited by this disease so its time to do something serious about it!

I've had acne for around 10 years, with it starting off as being mild at the age of 12 although it didn't really bother me until I reached 17/18 when my acne stepped up.

I've used an array of prescription medication (Topical and antibiotics) and blown a lot of money on supplements that it's just become ridiculous. The common denominator in all these previous treatments is that most of them started off brightly and then the results just faded after long term use.

Just before making the leap to go on Roaccutane I went 'holistic' through diet change by cutting out dairy, sugar (even fuit), grains, alcohol and supplementing. I logged my diet on the diet/holistic log section of the board as well lol.To be fair I did see an improvement but it wasn't dramatic, my acne is just too complicated to be only caused by one factor. So I thought f' it im going to the derm.

On the day of the visit (4th March) I was breaking out in a couple of cysts and had an obvious look of discontent. The appointment pretty much went.

Derm: How old are you?

Me: 22

Derm: What have you tried?

Me: Topically- the works, Antibiotics-Mino and Doxy.

Derm: Heard of Roaccutane?

Me: Yep

Derm: You want it?

Me: Yep

I had some reservations about this drug however what sealed the deal is when she told me 'You're only young once', Man..the amount of parties and social events i've missed because of acne has just dragged on too long. So she wrote a presciption for Roaccutane told me to take 20mg morning and night, take a blood test and sent me on my way. I'll be on the stuff for around 8 months she said, using a low dose but with the aim of reaching the cumulative dosage.

Day 3

So far so good, lips aren't chapped yet but im expecting that to happen maybe at day 5.

Edited by DireStraits

Guest DireStraits

Day 4

A couple of cysts around my chin are starting to dry out which is nice. Other than that nothing much, oh and lips still aren't chapped yet.

Heres a pic of a section of my face, I took it with my phone camera so its kinda dodgey quality...yeah it doesn't look bad as it does in real life hahahaha heard that before?

-Comments appreciated in this log :dance

-Just a quick question i've still got a bottle over zinc and omega 3's which I want to take along with my Roaccutane (but during other times of the day), is that ok?

post-113654-1298804179_thumb.jpg

post-113654-1298804179_thumb.jpg

Edited by DireStraits

hey there

I just wanted to wish u the best on your accutane course.

Your acne looks similar to mine, and we are about the same age (ill be 22 in a few weeks), so i'll be following along with your log.

Good luck!

Guest DireStraits

Thanks for the feedback Herecomesthesun and so.small i'll make sure to pop into your logs.

Edited by DireStraits

Thanks for the feedback Herecomesthesun and so.small i'll make sure to put into your logs.

Good luck on your course! I was denied accutane and get the same type of acne. When i went though i was clearing up at the time and just had the red marks, go figure! Now of course i have a couple of cysts on chin, so frustrating!

Good Luck DireStraits, blow the f' outta that shit for me 2.

On a side note, have u got some badass lip balm on the ready. Maybe if you start using it now, your lips wont ever get a chance to get painful and too chapped.

Ill be following this thread knowing who's going 2 win this time!!!

Guest DireStraits

Thanks a lot for the support guys i really appreciate it!

Day 7

So its my seventh day on Roaccutane and so far I can't complain. I just started using my lip balm yesterday for my mildly dry lips. It's not so bad at the moment, I definitely wouldn't consider my lips 'chapped', but anyway in the meantime my Carmex lip balm will hopefully do the trick. My skin hasn't become too dry which alright.

No 'inital breakout' thus far, the only breakouts i've got recently was due to eating greasy fish and chips at uni. Since im back at uni i've been slacking off on my diet a bit, theres just so much cheap greasy food around that i've just had to buy it and go on my way.

I've noticed when i've gone for jogs or played a bit of soccer, afterwards im not sweating as much on my face...interesting.

Anyway, everything's manageable at the moment I guess.

I've attached another before photo this time of my forehead.

post-113654-1268218049_thumb.jpg

Edited by DireStraits

Good log so far!

My derm had a similar attitude to yours. He was really good, not overly cautious like I expected he might be.

He pretty much just said no one need suffer with adult acne in this day and age and said that I must be pretty bored of it by now.

Guest DireStraits

Day 14

So its been 14 days now on accutane, wow...

Anyway I should start mentioning the sideffects. I believe I am getting somewhat of an initial breakout out because last week I was breaking out on my right check which never usually happens but that has subsided thankfully...However this week my left temple is breaking out in cysts :mad:

My lips have gone up a notch in dryness so for the first time in my life I have to carry Lip Balm where-ever I go. With dry lips there always comes bad breath! I've noticed that my breath has turned a bit foul so i've had to talk a certain distance away from people so they don't smell my breath lol.

Yeah this is going to sound harsh but I think its kinda gay for a guy to put on lip balm so I only put it in on when im away from my friends. I make sure to drink a lot of water to compensate for the lip balm when im in class.

My face has become quite red but its only noticeable if you look real close at me, but no ones said anything about it, so its all good.

Oh and another thing about half an hour after I pop my roaccutane pill, fatigue starts to creep in which lasts like 40 minutes and eventually subsides, its enough to make me fall asleep hahahaha.. but I don't.

Now im going to do my best not to drink at all while im on this drug but thats going to be difficult because my faculty at university holds a lot of social events and they pretty much all involve alcohol ie pub crawls, bbq's, cruises etc. Normally I get cysts from alcohol and I haven't touched it since last August/September so i'll have to keep it up until the course is over. But im just saying, i'll be missing out on that side of the fun which sucks.

Thats pretty much it! Still 20mgs day and night.

Edited by DireStraits

Guest DireStraits

Day 17

Ok i really think i've been experiencing the dreaded 'initial breakout', oh boy..

As i mentioned before I never breakout on my right cheek and thats basically where i've been breaking out in whiteheads, along with my left temple. My left temple is getting cysts which come and go, but whats bothering me is the brown marks that are being left behind :mad:

Last night I ate out at a buffet, I took my roaccutane pill along with all the food I chuffed down lol. Anyway afterwards my face went red and started heating up, as if I was experiencing facial flushing. The facial flushing was the longest i've experienced so far while on this drug so im guessing the vast amount of food I ate may have been a factor in this.

At work today I was applying quite a bit of lip balm as well cause I work behind a deli counter serving customers.

I haven't mentioned this but I quit my soccer team, just cause I can't commit myself to a season of training sessions and weekend games. It's dragged my university studies down and with me being on roaccutane, I dont think my body could handle the physical demand...ugghh. Oh well, thats not gonna stop me from kicking a ball around with my mates.

Ah....im keen to type more about myself but i'll leave it at that.

Edited by DireStraits

Hey there, I'm only a few days ahead of you on my Accutane course. Also suffering the dreaded IB :wall: can't wait for it to subside.

That sucks about soccer- but there's always next year! And by then you'll be playing and showing off your clear skin :cool:

All the best- will be checking in!

Guest DireStraits
Hey there, I'm only a few days ahead of you on my Accutane course. Also suffering the dreaded IB :wall: can't wait for it to subside.

That sucks about soccer- but there's always next year! And by then you'll be playing and showing off your clear skin :cool:

All the best- will be checking in!

@hopeful2day: Hey thanks so much. Yeah i've just gotta battle through this now and hopefully we'll come out stronger.

Ermm, today i rocked up to uni with a hat to cover my breakouts and to use it as a camouflage so I don't run into old friends who haven't seen me with this breakout. I must admit its not that bad but you know, it always look worse on yourself.

I hope that I dont make a habit of wearing hats though, heh.

Guest DireStraits

Day 25

The week that was

So my initial breakout is still continuing, i've got one cyst on the right side of my nose which has been there for over two weeks. Im steadily breaking out on both my cheeks which is uncommon for me and a couple of cysts below my mouth. Overall I look a a bit of a mess and i've got a feeling this is just the beginning of the whole IB shebang. Today my skin feels more oily than normal even though it was drying up in the first 2 weeks.

I think i've been developing a bit of excess flab around my tummy lol, I haven't had excess tummy fat ever! Its not a big deal but when you're naturally a slim person who has trouble gaining weight you notice these things.

I've got a uni party coming up this week and a friends 22nd birthday outing and there's probably no chance im going to either of them. Im staying positive through this ordeal because im taking this IB as a sign of progress.

Another thing, why is it when your skin is at its worst that you run into people that you haven't seen in ages. At work I delivered mail to this hospital and there I ran into this girl from High School who as it turned out is working as a nurse, fresh out of university. Now I haven't seen this person in like 7 years and back then I had the typical mild teen acne. We had a quick chat and the whole time she was just analysing my skin and im pretty sure she was honing in on that cyst located on the right side of my nose. To counteract this I kept asking her questions about what shes been up to all these years, trying to make her think and deter her from constantly looking at my skin. I'm pretty sure this is gonna happen more often, me running into people who last saw me when my skin was decent, cause thats life!

Oh well.

I've got my first derm check up appointment this week and hopefully I get some words of reinforcement from my derm, that this is just normal. Hope all goes well!

Oh and one final thing im not on Roaccutane im on Oratane :shock: ...OHHHhhhhh i've been lying to everyone (who cares), please forgive me people I wont do it again!!

Edited by DireStraits

Hey there

I know how the IB can be so dreadful! I was a bit shocked by it at first. I wanted to hide in my room and avoid all contact with my friends, but as you know, that is impossble while in college. I found that while my friends noticed my skin, they didn't care. I guess I am saying that you shouldn't let your skin make any decisions for you. Go to the parties and have a blast! And just remember that in a few months, ur skin will be perfect!

Guest DireStraits
Hey there

I know how the IB can be so dreadful! I was a bit shocked by it at first. I wanted to hide in my room and avoid all contact with my friends, but as you know, that is impossble while in college. I found that while my friends noticed my skin, they didn't care. I guess I am saying that you shouldn't let your skin make any decisions for you. Go to the parties and have a blast! And just remember that in a few months, ur skin will be perfect!

Hey thanks for the words of encouragement so.small. My friends don't care either its just that when you're at a party you're forced to meet new people who haven't seen your skin and aren't used to seeing your skin as it normally is, 'pimply'.

I guess if I do go i'll just be the quite dude that hangs out in the corner of the bar lol. Wednesday is decision time.

That's the thing I noticed about Accutane too... you don't know whether the IB is coming or going!

Umm this excess flab concerns me... weight gain is not a side effect... is it??? :shifty:

I too cancelled plans this weekend because of the wonderful IB couldn't bring myself to be seen in public- but you're right, it's a sign of progress... it's the beginning of the end, so hang in there. Besides, things change so rapidly on this drug you'll probabaly clear up enough during the week and be good to go for the weekend! Believe me, I know it's hard but you should go out and have some fun. We can't let acne get the best of us.

So true about running into people it ALWAYS happens, hate. that.!- but you'll be all clear in no time and then you can go back to that hospital and show off your perfect skin!

Edited by hopeful42day

Guest DireStraits

it is now Day 35, Awesome!

So its past the one month mark, atm i have a sore throat but feeling positive about my accutane progress. I think I can confidently say (fingers crossed, don't wanna jinx myself) that the worst of the IB is over. Im still getting very milder breakouts but the bigger pimples I used to get are now drying up. I have a lot of inactives which are drying up now which is definitely a sign of progress.

So last Thursday I went to see my derm for my check up and she told me the results of my blood work were perfect, which is always good to hear. After explaining to her the only real sideffects i've been getting were dry lips and skin she decided not to bump up my dosage of 40mg just yet, or anytime soon because i've been managing the sideffects pretty well so far. Im 5'6 and weigh 132lbs so im guessing its an alright dose to be on. My next check up will be in 4 months and then she'll make the decision whether to bump up my dose. A four month gap seems like a long time, anything can happen in between that time, I have to admit the my derm does sound very experienced when it comes to accutane, a bit too confident for my liking, i get the feeling she thinks i'll just be another one of her previous patients that will get clear and she's just going through the motions.

Maybe im sounding paranoid? :think: maybe? But im just looking out for myself.

On the social front I missed the two parties last week lol, one on Thursday night and the other Saturday night. The reason being, is that on those two nights fatigue just crept in, I felt tired, it was a stressful week and I just wanted to lay down.

My mum came back from an overseas trip sick and I think she passed on the flu to me hahahha, talk about keeping it in the family.

I'll leave it at that ;)

Edited by DireStraits

Guest DireStraits

Day 51.. Oh yeah!

I've been soooo busy with uni assignments and quizes its crazy.

Things have been progressing nicely :dance: especially considering the amount of stress and lack of sleep i've been getting. Normally when i get little sleep and combine that with stress its guaranteed that a few inflamed cysts around my chin appear, but nah :D i dont have any chin cysts!!

Another thing...... I pulled an all nighter last night, yeah thats right I got ZERO sleep cause i was working on a report, anyway i've always known the amount of sleep i got was definitely a contributing factor to my acne so the way my skin held up today would tell me how much i've progressed on accutane.....and well so far, NO CYSTS oh yeah!! Normally throughout the day i would feel one coming through but its now after 9pm here and i would have well by now felt something crop up, but nah, my skin is fine.

Btw just to give you an idea of my day, after i finished my report at 6am i got ready to start work at 6.50 am to do my delivery run. Once i got off work at around 10.30 am i had a to attend some bs field assignment for one of my subjects, analysing rocks at a particular beach which I struggled to stay awake for lol.

At the moment i have probably like 1 noticeable active pimple, but with a lot of brown marks which sucks.

Sideffects: Dry lips, dry patches on my arms, a little fatigue and slightly more pain around the legs the day after a game of indoor soccer.

Im still confident of further consistent progress, im wondering if accutane works on evening out skin tone?

anyway thanks for reading!

Edited by DireStraits

Guest DireStraits
Another thing...... I pulled an all nighter last night, yeah thats right I got ZERO sleep cause i was working on a report, anyway i've always known the amount of sleep i got was definitely a contributing factor to my acne so the way my skin held up today would tell me how much i've progressed on accutane.....and well so far, NO CYSTS oh yeah!! Normally throughout the day i would feel one coming through but its now after 9pm here and i would have well by now felt something crop up, but nah, my skin is fine.

Yer... about this I did end up getting a small cyst, but it healed pretty quickly.

DAY 60!

Skin

Well just to update you on my skin, its doing pretty well. I've got only 2 actives which aren't that noticeable, however I do have a number of brown marks left over.

Life

Well before accutane I watched my diet a lot because it was a big factor in contributing to my breakouts. I wouldn't eat dairy, sugar, grains, processed crap etc. but there are certain moments in life where you have no control over your diet so you just gotta eat whateva is thrown your way.

Last week I went on a field trip as part of my course for 3 days and breakfast,lunch and dinner we're all taken care of by the company hosting the field trip so I wouldn't have to waste any money on food. Normally I break out from chicken and thats what was on offer pretty much for 3 days lol, but also a whole range of other foods which contained the typical no no's I avoided such as dairy, sugar,hydrogenated oils and white bread.

Its safe to say thanks to accutane i've come out relatively unscathed with just a couple of small zits instead of a face filled with inflamed whiteheads, which made me so happy!

This week coming up is going to be pretty busy for me at uni, the assignments/quizes keep piling up so i'll leave it at that.

Guest DireStraits

Day 61

I ate organic peanut butter and im breaking out in bumps, maybe hives i think :angry: , doesn't seem like pimples cause this is kinda itchy.

Not a happy camper atm, all the gains i've made have been cut down. Never eating that shit again..

I've got a friends birthday dinner this Friday i really don't need this.

Edited by DireStraits

Hey! Just checking in on ya, so happy to see things are looking up for you on your course. That's awesome! It'll only get BETTER from here on out :dance: just stay away from that peanut butter!! ;)

Did it the bumps go away?

Guest DireStraits
Hey! Just checking in on ya, so happy to see things are looking up for you on your course. That's awesome! It'll only get BETTER from here on out :dance: just stay away from that peanut butter!! ;)

Did it the bumps go away?

Hey hopeful42day!

Yes, thankfully i've managed to get clear from those spots that the PB gave me. I'm guessing it was an allergic reaction to the nuts, because as i mentioned before the spots were kind of itchy and thats a sure sign of an allergy.

Good thing i cleared up as quick as I did because on Friday i had a friends birthday dinner, although I had a number of brown marks left over, I thought 'F' it' i dont care i'll enjoy myself, and I did! I had a great night, caught up with friends and hit the dance floor.

My face still has a few pimples but it sure as hell better than when I first started accutane. I'm already into month 3 and still optimistic.

Cheers!

Edited by DireStraits