Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hislizzy

Okay kids, help me gain weight!

So I'm a longtime lurker but a new member. I had been clear for 2 years due to diet but cheated heavily over the summer and unfortunately developed cystic acne, something I had never had before. I am still working on clearing that with diet, and though it is slow going I am almost there.

Some background: 31 year old female, mother of 4 year old twins

I am 5'5" and weigh 110 on a good day (but probably more like 106-107)

I eat a lot of fat (meat, goat and sheep dairy, eggs, salmon (fresh and canned), EVOO and coconut oil, butter, nuts, etc.) but my diet is very low in carbs (with the exception of veggies, which really don't count for weight-gaining purposes). I have recently drastically limited my gluten intake which means I eat almost no whole grains (a little quinoa here and there, plus rice), and lost weight because of it.

And if I hear one more person tell me that I am "so skinny" or I have "lost MORE weight," I will scream :evil:. Some would consider it lucky, I suppose, but I know I look better when I've got a little more meat on me, and I feel better, too. Can't I do this without the carbs? I don't want to trade clear skin for curves! I want both. I have stopped all cardio (I was jumping rope) and just do yoga because I am afraid of losing centimeters.

Ideas? I would be eternally grateful! I am so tired of all the mothers at the birthday parties telling me to eat the cake because I need the calories.

Well you say you eat a lot of fat, but do you know more specifically how many calories you get each day? Regardless of whether it's fat or carbs, eat more and you will gain weight. And is there any specific reason you want to avoid carbs? Because I'd say a good way to add in some extra calories would definitely be some good, clean carb sources such as sweet potatoes, brown rice, etc.

What is your definition of cheating exactly? I.e. what foods did you start eating a lot of that you attribute your recent breakouts to? Is it the higher-fat diet that you were on before when you were clear?

"Eat more and you will gain weight". Not sure about that one. I used to (and still kinda do) eat like a pig, almost nonstop throughout the day and I don't gain weight.

Consume more calories than you burn each day. Cardio is essential and will help your body to be toned as well as get back your curves.

Going off what drizzer said, you need to find out how many calories you consume each day. Opt for clean sources of high cal foods, fats being the best because they're 3x more calorie dense than carbs and protein. You also need carbs however to supply your fuel for cardio. How does your breakfast look? May i suggest a vege omelet with some gluten free oats?

Edited by AussieSmile

Okay, very good questions.

I don't actually know how many calories per day I consume. I eat when I am hungry (except dinner, which we all eat together at 7.30) and have never paid much attention to calorie counting before.

Here is what I ate tday:

Breakfast: left-over coconut chicken curry with sauteed asparagus, carrots, and rice (there was enough to fill 2 soup bowls)

Lunch: wasn't hugely hungry, so I ate some sheep cheese, dates and pistachio nuts

Snack: green veggie juice plus more dates

Dinner: 3 scrambled eggs with 4 pieces of whole-grain buttered toast (my once-a-week gluten) plus an apple.

How does that sound? On a more normal day I may eat the cheese and fruit for breakfast and left-overs, etc. for lunch, but I was ravenous this morning.

When I say "carbs," I really mean grain-based products. I do occasionally eat white potatoes, and would LOVE to eat sweet potatoes but I live in Italy and you can't find 'em. I eat them when I'm in the States. I do eat rice, and even oatmeal, when I can find the good stuff.

Yes, my diet is basically the same as the one that kept me clear before except that I have cut out bread and processed meats (like prosciutto :cry: ). I cheated over the summer by eating desserts, such as canoli, cake, ice cream, etc.. The problem is that I never break out right away so I start to think all is fine, and then the breakout rolls in and doesn't let up. I was cheating from June on and didn't break out significantly until August.

You guys are totally helpful and great and I am very sorry to say that it is now officially past my bedtime and I have to sleep! But I will be checking again first thing tomorrow morning (when most of you will be asleep).

I definitely appreciate all opinions so far.

hit the weights. 8 reps x 3 sets x 4 workouts. go every second day and focus on specific parts (like chest, arms, back) each day and switch it up.

take colostrum if you wanna make quick gains of lean muscle

Just a warning incase you do decide to take colostrum, the majority of people who took it broke out worse for an indefinite time period.

hit the weights. 8 reps x 3 sets x 4 workouts. go every second day and focus on specific parts (like chest, arms, back) each day and switch it up.

Hey Swits, I think you'll find bigger gains if you workout every 3rd or 4th day. Also try 2 sets with 12 reps, or too braking point.

Ive been switching it up and have been amazed with twice a week and going to breaking for each set.

"Eat more and you will gain weight". Not sure about that one. I used to (and still kinda do) eat like a pig, almost nonstop throughout the day and I don't gain weight.

No Jay he is actually right the more calories you get the more you gain.

Also working out with it helps as muscle weighs more than fat.

To the op I was the exact same and have gained 3 stone on an all natural acne free diet, well for me.

The thing you need is calories and more of them.

So there is two ways of doing this eat more or eat calorie dense foods or both.

So to eat more its just eating 5 or 6 meals a day.

Calorie dense foods which i eat are Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Virgin Coconut oil Avocados, Almonds, Almond butter, Pumpkin seeds, wholegrain basmati rice, chickpeas, quinoa.

Heres a runthrough of my diet.

Brekkie:

1 cup wholegrain rolled oats.

Water.

2 oz pumpkin seeds.

1 tablespoon Vrgin coconut oil

Snack:

All natural Organic Grass fed Youghurt

1 oz Raw Almonds

Lunch:

Dark Salad leaves, cucumber, red peppers, grilled spring onion, half an avocado, small tomato, 100g chickpeas.

Apple.

Grilled Chicken breast.

Dressing of Apple cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons of EVOO.

Slice of 100% whole wheat organic sprouted grain bread with almond butter.

Snack:

Green Smoothie of kale, apple, blueberries and raw cocoa, tumeric.

Dinner:

Meat or fish

Carb sourcee

Many vegetables

Evoo 1 tablespoon

Coconut milk by soy delicious! And plenty of nuts and avocados!

I do eat any and all things coconut. I can't always find them, though, and I have to conserve my coconut oil since Italians still think it will kill you. My tub of it comes from the States.

I do take 3 grams of colostrum per day. Lean muscle is great, and I am in pretty good shape from yoga and running after my girls. I don't want to bulk up per se -- I really do want more actual fat on my body. Although I know weight training is also important for preventing bone loss. I'll see if I can find myself some light free weights.

No Jay he is actually right the more calories you get the more you gain.

Also working out with it helps as muscle weighs more than fat.

To the op I was the exact same and have gained 3 stone on an all natural acne free diet, well for me.

The thing you need is calories and more of them.

So there is two ways of doing this eat more or eat calorie dense foods or both.

So to eat more its just eating 5 or 6 meals a day.

Calorie dense foods which i eat are Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Virgin Coconut oil Avocados, Almonds, Almond butter, Pumpkin seeds, wholegrain basmati rice, chickpeas, quinoa.

Heres a runthrough of my diet.

Brekkie:

1 cup wholegrain rolled oats.

Water.

2 oz pumpkin seeds.

1 tablespoon Vrgin coconut oil

Snack:

All natural Organic Grass fed Youghurt

1 oz Raw Almonds

Lunch:

Dark Salad leaves, cucumber, red peppers, grilled spring onion, half an avocado, small tomato, 100g chickpeas.

Apple.

Grilled Chicken breast.

Dressing of Apple cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons of EVOO.

Snack:

Green Smoothie of kale, apple, blueberries and raw cocoa, tumeric.

Dinner:

Meat or fish

Carb sourcee

Many vegetables

Evoo 1 tablespoon

I put turmeric and kale in my green juices, too! I've got to try the raw cocoa, though. That sounds yummy. Your daily diet sounds fairly similar to mine. Maybe I do need to eat more often. But I like to eat when I'm hungry; if I'm not hungry, I'm doing something else.

Im the same and food has been the main part of my day for a while Im always thinking oh its time to eat so i have to go away and eat.

Gets annoying

I am eating around 2700-3000 calories per day and lifting 3x a week following the Starting Strength routine.

I have been looking at these emergency food bars for a while. They are quite expensive but they seem to have a lot of calories in them.

http://www.activeforever.com/p-5231-red-cr...?CMPID=SHP&

I'm almost sure they are definitely not the answer but I too am trying to gain some weight, while steering clear of any *acne prone* foods/substances. I am 6'1 and I weigh 145 pounds.

I would love to be able to eat 1 or two of these throughout the day with my regular meals. I need about 1400 calories just to maintain my current weight and I'm not even sure if i'm meeting that demand.

Edited by donnyten

I just posted a 3000 calorie diet above take from that what you will you wont need any bars :)

Btw I just saw a vegan pure pea isolate.

Its an organic product from non genetically modified peas.

The only ingredient is pure pea protein isolate.

The breakdown is per serving 31 grams of protein.

1.4 grams of carbs.

1.6 grams of fat.

Watcha think??

You could add another snack.

I think this is probably what I will do. Perhaps I could squeeze 2 snacks in. I love to eat, but as AdamDolce said, I get annoyed if I have to think about it all the time. We're pretty skinny in my family, and it has always been difficult for me to gain weight but easy to lose it. One day of the flu leaves me looking skeletal, and stress will kill my appetite totally. I gained 40 pounds when I was pregnant with my twins but it was all gone in about 3 months with almost no exercise (other than breastfeeding and pushing a stroller). Everyone says your body changes after pregnancy, but apparently I am destined to look like a 15 year old forever.

In any case here is what I have eaten so far today:

Breakfast: about 150 grams of sheep cheese and an apple

Snack: dates

Lunch: salmon salad with chopped apples, celery, carrots, onion, and dill

Snack: walnuts

Snack 3 will be: green juice and almonds

Dinner will be: veal with green beans and rice and organic yogurt

Calorie count? No clue, but it seems pretty high.

yeah that's about 2000!

Instead of adding snacks why dont you add more to your other snacks?

Make things easier.

Like have some pumpkin seeds or coconut oil with your dates.

Dates are really high gi so some fats or protein will lower that blooder spike effect.

Your dinner sounds amazing by the way

Im having venison in a raw chocolate sauce from raw cocoa, homemade lambstock and the juice of the venison.

With a load of vegegtables and wholegrain basmati .

I LOVE venison, and that sounds exactly like the divine dinner I had at the Ritz years ago when we took my grandmother for a birthday dinner.

I think you win the most delicious meal of the day.

Yes, I know dates are high GI. Mine are Persian dates which are even sweeter than Tunisian dates -- they're like candy, and I am totally addicted. Good advice about adding protein/fat when eating them.

My only problem with eating larger snacks is that I'm not usually hungry enough for them. But I'll try!

Yes i know what you mean I get that feeling often!

The easiest thing to do is eat highly calorie dense foods so you get loads even though your not eating much!!

Almomd butter in one bite is about 100 calories like that for 1 tablespoon.

And its very healthy if you can get an all natural one with just almonds as an ingredient.

I swear whenever I eat this stuff I feel like Im cheating.