Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
manchuriken

Diet is the only cause of Acne.

I believe that diet is the ONLY cause of acne.

It is very simple basic common sense, that if you get shit out, its because your putting shit in.

If changing your diet has not corrected all your skin problems, you have not made radical enough changes. For me, I cannot have any dairy, any refined sugar or sweetener, or wheat, or gluten. And if I eat non-wheat bread, at most 2 slices a day.

If I eat even just one tablespoon of refined sugar, I'll break out. If I drink even a half-glass or milk, or take a spoonful of ice cream, I'll break out. If I eat a bunch of bread, or even just 1 small slice of wheat bread, I will break out.

I believe that anyone that goes to radical enough extremes to cut certain things out of their diet will also too find that diet is the only cause of acne. Most people don't stumble upon this fact because they don't make radical enough changes. Eating less sugar is not enough, just eating more vegetables is not enough. You might have to cut out ENTIRE groups of food and ingredients that you commonly consume as I had to.

I would personally suggest going on what I like to call a vegetable fast. Only eat raw fruits and vegetables for a few weeks. Also with some rice for carbs, but not very much rice, like 1/2 cup a day with very minimal sauce, eating too much rice will make me break out. And also nuts/peanut butter for protein. I find that I can consume honey and blue agave nectar in small amount ok, but absolutely no refined or synthetic sweetener, and absolutely no dairy or anything baked. This brings your diet down to the absolute bare minimum, raw fruits, raw vegetables, nuts and small amount of rice. I'd be willing to bet if you managed to do this for 2 weeks, even a 16 year old kid in the worst of acne would still completely clear up at the end of it.

Then once your acne clears up, slowly reintroduce new things and see if your skin breaks out.

Again, if you get shit out, it's because your putting shit in. From this basic common sense, and my experience I really do believe that diet is the only cause of acne. I would like to know if anyone else has also discovered this. Or if anyone has tried changing there diet to success, or failure and how radically did you change it? And how radically did you adhere to it? Did you go as far as doing a vegetable fast as I describe and adhere to it solidly for 2 weeks? Even just 1 piece of sugar filled candy, or dried fruit treated with sugar (craisins), or bread made out of a grain not suitable for my body could make me break out and take a week to heal. You might even have to take it farther than I did, a certain vegetable or nut might cause you to break out. If diet therapy did not work for you, I'm curious to know how far did you take it, how solidly did you adhere to the new diet and for how long?

And does anyone know any studies that very deeply investigate the link between diet and acne? I could not find any major studies. Just some minor ones, that made minor diet changes, like removing chocolate or something. It amazes me this subject has not been thoroughly investigated and researched. It makes me think that pharmaceutical companies invest all their money to evidence their own patented synthetic treatments, for the sake of sales. Ignoring simple common sense treatments like intensive diet changes because if diet was proven the real cause of acne, it would draw sales away from their patented treatments. The whole bit about bacteria on the skin being the root cause of acne, or it being hormonal imbalance is just nonsense to scam people into buying medications. It is diet, and only diet.

Edited by manchuriken

Diet has had very little impact on my moderate, scarring acne.

I have been on a hypoallergenic diet of only turkey, salmon, lamb, kale, collards, zucchini, carrots, celery, broccoli, buckwheat, quinoa, brown rice, and occasionally a kiwi or some berries, for two months now with no improvement in my acne. The only time I started to see improvement was after I added in the prescription topical Aczone.

Also, about a year ago I went on a crazy fruitarian diet similar to the "vegetable fast" you recommend for a few weeks, and broke out SO BADLY with no end in sight. I had to eat a shit-tonne of fruit and veggies just to get enough calories for the day, and it was miserable.

My dad had severe cystic acne when he was my age and 25 years later still has the pock marks to prove it. He ate complete garbage and his acne went away on its own. Now he only breaks out if he takes fish oil, which breaks me out as well.

For some of us, diet is not enough. The only time I cleared up completely was when I went on a hiking trip in Arizona last summer, and that was likely due to exercise, fresh air, sunshine, and lack of stress, and not due to the five pounds of sugary trail mix and all of the greasy barbeque dinners I ate there.

Diet causes acne but if that is the only change you make then you might not get very far. It is simply living a healthy and happy lifestyle. It can be very simple if you want it to be. Let me know if you want help...

Diet always affects acne, but it is not the only cause.

There are all kinds of lifestyle habits that also affect acne. And some people do have real hormone, liver, adrenal, etc issues that require more than diet and lifestyle to address. Most of us don't though.

And yes, we do know of studies. There's a thread on clinical studies right there at the top of the page under Important Topics.

Everyone is different.

I know this guy....eats like shit. Eats whatever he wants whenever he wants. Dude doesnt use any special cleansers on his face or anything like that either. Doesnt workout or run or drink gallons of water a day....nothing.... F*ucking skin is flawless!!! Not one mark anywhere. I mean flawless... Pisses me off.

Can anyone explain that other than giving an answer of everyone is different???

I, like the others posting here, believe this is somewhat true. Diet for me has definitely been paramount as far as reasons for my acne, but I do believe topically taking care of your face is important too. Recently I started going back to washing my face with a bar soap (Cetaphil) and steaming. I found that they made my skin much smoother and all the little pumps I could feel were started to disappear and my face didn't look like it had a strange pattern on it. Obviously the pattern was those tiny bumps. However, in your defense I think it was doing more harm then good because I'm starting to break out. I haven't really broken out in about 2 years and I do believe it was in part due to the washing. Now I'm just using water once a day in the shower (filtered shower head) and going to buy a baby brush to exfoliate.

There are all kinds of lifestyle habits that also affect acne. And some people do have real hormone, liver, adrenal, etc issues that require more than diet and lifestyle to address. Most of us don't though.

Yeah. But if people ate really good diet from the day they were born would there be so many of these problems?

Of course there wouldn't be so many. But some people are born with defects. I thought I made it clear that I wasn't referring to the majority of people.

And lifestyle is still just as important. You can eat perfect, but if you don't sleep or are inactive, or are overly stressed, you can still have health problems including acne.

Yeah. But if people ate really good diet from the day they were born would there be so many of these problems?

Of course there wouldn't be so many. But some people are born with defects. I thought I made it clear that I wasn't referring to the majority of people.

And lifestyle is still just as important. You can eat perfect, but if you don't sleep or are inactive, or are overly stressed, you can still have health problems including acne.

Having a great diet from the day you were born would be tremendous!....but... there is piling evidence that suggest we are not just what WE eat from the day we are born, but what OUR PARENTS and previous generations ate before us.

Meaning, if your parents ate poorly their entire lives, but you ate for health since day one....you still may be affected negatively due to their actions.

check out

and then

I'm on a diet similar to what you call a vegetable fast. All I eat are raw fruits and vegetables (sometimes nuts for fat and protein). I had been off all sugar (other than fruit) for about two months prior to starting this, and have been eating only raw fruits and veggies for two weeks now.

NONE of this has helped my acne yet. I expect it will eventually (because I am a strong believer holistic healing). But my point is, though you suggest to do this for two weeks, it may take longer than that for some people to see results, so be patient!

This is especially true considering the detox one may go through when doing a vegetable fast or raw vegan diet. Detox is basically when one's body tries to expell built up toxins; this can make acne temporarily worse when switching to a healthy diet.

Diet has had very little impact on my moderate, scarring acne.

I have been on a hypoallergenic diet of only turkey, salmon, lamb, kale, collards, zucchini, carrots, celery, broccoli, buckwheat, quinoa, brown rice, and occasionally a kiwi or some berries, for two months now with no improvement in my acne. The only time I started to see improvement was after I added in the prescription topical Aczone.

Also, about a year ago I went on a crazy fruitarian diet similar to the "vegetable fast" you recommend for a few weeks, and broke out SO BADLY with no end in sight. I had to eat a shit-tonne of fruit and veggies just to get enough calories for the day, and it was miserable.

My dad had severe cystic acne when he was my age and 25 years later still has the pock marks to prove it. He ate complete garbage and his acne went away on its own. Now he only breaks out if he takes fish oil, which breaks me out as well.

For some of us, diet is not enough. The only time I cleared up completely was when I went on a hiking trip in Arizona last summer, and that was likely due to exercise, fresh air, sunshine, and lack of stress, and not due to the five pounds of sugary trail mix and all of the greasy barbeque dinners I ate there.

Maybe you are allergic to one of the fruits or vegetables. One of the herbalists I once saw said that somebody found out the cause of their acne was blueberries. People can have really specific and odd allergies like that, or be allergic to entire genus's or types of fruit. And since a diet of purely fruit made your acne much worse, since it is responding to fruit, it is very possible you do have a fruit or vegetable allergy.

The only way you could know for absolute sure that diet will not fix your problem is if you go on a water fast and it does not clear up.

NONE of this has helped my acne yet. I expect it will eventually

I wouldn't really too expect much. Sugar is still sugar no matter if it comes from fruits.

Thats not true at all.

There is a difference between an orange being digested over a 2 hour period and a tablespoon of white sugar being digested in a matter of minutes.

Refined and processed sugars absorb into your blood stream faster than sugar coming from more complex sources that must be digested and broken down first. Due to this, a tablespoon of sugar coming from an orange will enter your blood stream much slower, then a tablespoon of straight refined white sugar. The fruit will cause a much less severe spike in blood sugar.

And from my experience I find it's not necessarily the amount of sweet I consume, but rather how much of a spike in blood sugar it causes. I can eat agave nectar, bananas, apples and oranges all day without feeling any spike in blood sugar or a sugar rush from it, and not break out. But if I eat like a roll of smarties or enough of any other refined sugar in order to give me a sugar rush, then I will break out.

no its not the only cause of acne. stress has a bigger affect on acne than food. i dont wanna argue or try to say your wrong, but maybe it is the only cause for you, but trust me for others its not.

I'm on a diet similar to what you call a vegetable fast. All I eat are raw fruits and vegetables (sometimes nuts for fat and protein). I had been off all sugar (other than fruit) for about two months prior to starting this, and have been eating only raw fruits and veggies for two weeks now.

NONE of this has helped my acne yet. I expect it will eventually (because I am a strong believer holistic healing). But my point is, though you suggest to do this for two weeks, it may take longer than that for some people to see results, so be patient!

This is especially true considering the detox one may go through when doing a vegetable fast or raw vegan diet. Detox is basically when one's body tries to expell built up toxins; this can make acne temporarily worse when switching to a healthy diet.

If you have not seen serious improvement in two weeks, I would suspect something else is going on.

You could be allergic to one of the fruits or vegetables your consuming.

When I stop eating the foods that caused my acne, new cysts stopped forming after just 3 days. Took longer for it all to heal and previously existing cysts to run their course. But I could tell no new ones were forming after 3 days.

Of course I don't know for sure in your case. But if I was in your situation, I would still be removing things from my diet.

Edited by manchuriken

no its not the only cause of acne. stress has a bigger affect on acne than food. i dont wanna argue or try to say your wrong, but maybe it is the only cause for you, but trust me for others its not.

I did forget about stress.

I have lived a stress free life for so long now I kind of take it for granted and completely forgot that when I was in the heat of stress my acne was worse.

But still, correcting ones diet would correct stress. One could say that stress is caused by a deficiency in Vitamin Marijuana.

Diet is the only cause of Acne., Medications are a scam.

yea...no

I would believe that medications are necessary only if I saw a person come out of a prolonged water fast with acne.

If you have not seen serious improvement in two weeks, I would suspect something else is going on.

When I stop eating the foods that caused my acne, new cysts stopped forming after just 3 days. Took longer for it all to heal and previously existing cysts to run their course. But I could tell no new ones were forming after 3 days.

Of course I don't know for sure in your case. But if I was in your situation, I would still be removing things from my diet.

Truly? 3 days? That's amazing. I just figured I would have to be patient. I don't know how to go about finding out if I have an allergy. If I had one, I'd think I know since I eat so much fruit each day (Example: Surely if I were allergic to bananas my body would show signs other than just acne since I eat 10 for breakfast...) Do I find out if I have an allergy by eliminating things one at a time? If so how should I do this since all I eat is fruit and veggies (sometimes nuts)?

Truly? 3 days? That's amazing. I just figured I would have to be patient. I don't know how to go about finding out if I have an allergy. If I had one, I'd think I know since I eat so much fruit each day (Example: Surely if I were allergic to bananas my body would show signs other than just acne since I eat 10 for breakfast...) Do I find out if I have an allergy by eliminating things one at a time? If so how should I do this since all I eat is fruit and veggies (sometimes nuts)?

^In response to the bold above... yikes! That could be your problem right there. Just a ridiculous amount of sugar flooding your system at one time. Stick with that tired old axiom of "an apple a day..." literally. Every ONCE in a while, have a banana or some other high sugar fruit. If you have ridiculous sugar cravings you might indeed be magnesium deficient.

I think the statement “Diet is the only cause for acne†is false. I agree with RealTalk when he said that everyone is different. What works for one doesn’t always work for all. To say that diet is the only cause implies that those that eat “junk†food will have bad skin – which isn’t always correct. In my case of seasonal sever cystic acne, I have an excess of oil production, a family history of cysts, and also hormones angry enough to kill a large rat. Diet is one of the many habits one must apply to their lifestyle to achieve overall health. For some, it doesn’t matter what they eat, they are doomed with bad skin. I will however, keep an open mind. There is no proof that a great diet will “fix†acne, but there also is no proof that it won’t.

Now to agree with part of the initial statement, I do agree that many medications are a “scamâ€, and I could go on to say how much I despise the FDA, but I’ll digress. They do not investigate holistic diets or vitamins because there are too many manufacturers and distributors. People grocery shopping does not bring in big money. They support the large pharmaceutical companies rather, because that is where the money is made. The powerhouses like Roche and Watson come out on top instead of Fish oil or broccoli. They don’t have our best interests in mind, and they butt in where they need to back off.

Thanks for the food for thought.

Damn 10 bananas a day? I have heard bananas are a trigger for some people, as can be things like plums and peaches and certain berries.

You can get a blood test to check for allergies. But, maybe I'm just far too skeptical of doctors, but I would worry about more things going on than what just an allergy blood test could reveal. I would go through and verify each food by actual experience, seeing how my body responds to removing it. Also you won't be able to tell which foods you have an issue with until you have removed them from your diet for a number of days, you know like a fish couldn't tell what water is until you remove it from water, when your in it, it seems normal and just there. Also people tend to be addicted to things they are allergic to because consuming something you hold a mild allergy to causes a more radical response in the body. Pay attention to foods you feel you absolutely must eat and constantly think about, these are very suspect.

Short of doing a water fast, which can be dangerous, you just have to find foods which you can deem completely safe in any amount consumed, or foods you know for sure, in the quantities you eat, are safe to eat. Intuition plays the biggest role in this, if you can listen to your body and feelings around certain foods with a clear enough mind it can help guide you to the right ones.

For me personally, the foods I feel are safe to eat in any quantities are brocolli, hummus, carrots, tomatoes, red-leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, almonds, peanuts, eggs, chicken, any fish. I would be suspicious of mass consumption of fruit. I have not gone to eating 10 bananas a day, but I would be suspicious if I did, even if it is from fruit which is far safer than refined sweetener, that is still alot of sweet entering your system a day on top of whatever other fruit you eat.

Foods that I found safe in certain quantities are 1/2 cup of dry rice and about 1 cup of hashbowns fried in canola or olive oil. I have personally have found no problem with consuming canola or olive oils.

It is an issue of going on a vegetable only diet that you have to eat alot more to fill up, which makes it really difficult for long term, because 2 eggs in the morning can probably fill you up more than multiple bananas. You might find eating 2 eggs instead of 4 bananas does more benefit for you in that regard. It's really important in finding the problem to your acne to remain dynamic. There is no set written in stone solution that will work for sure, you have to be constantly adapting it to how you feel and how your body responds.

There was some study once done on the eating habits of cows that showed cows when grazing freely in an open field would go around and eat certain grasses depending on which vitamins and nutrients they needed from those grasses. If you can get out of what you think you need to eat with your brain, and feel what you need to eat with your body it will help direct you to proper things.

Edited by manchuriken

I think the statement œDiet is the only cause for acne is false. I agree with RealTalk when he said that everyone is different. What works for one doesn™t always work for all. To say that diet is the only cause implies that those that eat œjunk food will have bad skin “ which isn™t always correct. In my case of seasonal sever cystic acne, I have an excess of oil production, a family history of cysts, and also hormones angry enough to kill a large rat. Diet is one of the many habits one must apply to their lifestyle to achieve overall health. For some, it doesn™t matter what they eat, they are doomed with bad skin. I will however, keep an open mind. There is no proof that a great diet will œfix acne, but there also is no proof that it won™t.

Now to agree with part of the initial statement, I do agree that many medications are a œscam, and I could go on to say how much I despise the FDA, but I™ll digress. They do not investigate holistic diets or vitamins because there are too many manufacturers and distributors. People grocery shopping does not bring in big money. They support the large pharmaceutical companies rather, because that is where the money is made. The powerhouses like Roche and Watson come out on top instead of Fish oil or broccoli. They don™t have our best interests in mind, and they butt in where they need to back off.

Thanks for the food for thought.

To say diet is the only cause of acne doesn't imply that those who eat junk food will always have acne, some people can eat anything without problem. But that in no way removes diet from suspicion for the entire population. I wouldn't imply junk food as the culprit, but also many foods deemed safe and healthy. Dairy, and bread, even whole grain wheat, to name a few, people can have sensitivities to anything. I would agree with the notion everyone is different, but in the context that, everyone is different in what foods cause skin problems.

What also runs in family genetics is sensitivities to food. It is entirely possible that your entire family is sensitive to a certain fruit, vegetable, type of meat or grain. The notion of hormones and excess oil production are just theories, these are not set in stone evidenced facts beyond any doubt. The lurking root cause behind such a problem running in a family could be a genetic food sensitivity. My father has eczema, as did I at one point. But I found stopping dairy consumption cleared up all my eczema completely. Which I am still trying to convince my father to quit dairy, but since eczema is a genetic problem, and it turned out to be dairy sensitivity in me, I have little doubt it is also dairy sensitivity in my father, and the real genetic problem is not eczema, but rather a genetic dairy sensitivity.

This is nice food for thought. But the thing about the notion of diet as the only cause of acne is, it doesn't have to be just food for thought. It doesn't have to be just someone elses 'theory' or someone elses 'thought' or someone elses 'belief', that you sit by waiting for a medical institution to tell you it's ok to believe. You can verify and evidence this yourself, right now. The subject of diet as the root cause of acne has nothing to do with belief or thinking, it has to do with actual experience and personally verified evidence. It is not just a thought. If you have never taken the time to radically strip down your diet, to the absolute bare essentials, going as far as a water fast if necessary, you could be doing yourself a very radical disservice. Because I have never heard of a person coming out of water fast with acne, and from looking at this thread it seems that everyone who has removed every single suspicious food item from their diet also has found diet to be the culprit.

You know... If you get something bad out, its because your putting something bad in.

Also there is only ONE study that would need to be done in order to prove this and this would be a study where a number of subjects with serious acne undergo a prolonged water fast. This would be a very cheap study to do too. But it's not done. For over 40 years or however long.

I personally think the medical institutions have failed the public in more ways than just acne because they are essentially corrupted by multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical industry. The future of the medical industry is what we are doing right now. People on the internet, coming together in groups, doing studies, polls and sharing information themselves on the internet.

Edited by manchuriken

Maybe you are allergic to one of the fruits or vegetables. One of the herbalists I once saw said that somebody found out the cause of their acne was blueberries. People can have really specific and odd allergies like that, or be allergic to entire genus's or types of fruit. And since a diet of purely fruit made your acne much worse, since it is responding to fruit, it is very possible you do have a fruit or vegetable allergy.

The only way you could know for absolute sure that diet will not fix your problem is if you go on a water fast and it does not clear up.

I seriously doubt that, considering I've rotated them in and out with no effect. I understand that some people can have odd intolerances like that, but I don't think that's the case with me. If anything, certain fats MAY aggravate my acne, but not any specific food or food group. I think the fruit and veggie diet broke me out due to the massive amounts of sugar.

I don't think it's healthy to cut so many foods out of a diet because that leads to weight loss and nutrient loss, which can lead to hormonal fluctuations and in turn, acne. I'm skinny enough as it is; a water fast would probably kill me. :dance: