Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dear acne.org forums,

Hi I'm new. I've been reading the info on this site for some time now and i think i've got the general idea behind "THE REGIMEN." However I have some questions which may seem a little obvious.

As for the treatment of facial acne, i can see how the regimen would work, however for acne on say, the neck, shoulders, back, chest, legs and arms, Should the cleanser/BP/Moisterizer/AHA be a complete replacement to soap? I have acne (moderate to severe) on most of my chest and a bit of my stomach, Just about all of my back (not just the shoulder blade area), Shoulders, Neck, Face, and some nether regions. So should I be removing soap all together from my daily shower? I usually use some sort of non-soap, like dove which is supposed to be way more gentle than regular soap, but should I be just using a gentle face cleaner on almost my entire body? That's a lot of pumps...

The reason soaps are generally frowned upon is because in order to create them in the bar form harsh cleansing agents like sodium cocate are used, and ingredients like those can be absorbed into the skin and clog up the pores. They also tend to have alkaline PH levels which encourage bacterial growth rather than prevent it.

Also when your purchasing soap, you tend not to consider a lot of the ingredients that are in it and how they will react with your skin, a lot of these ingredients are the exact reason for specified cleansers like the one your talking about, a lot of these are to harsh and tend to clog up pores or cause acne. A gentle cleanser like Cetaphil or Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash, have ingredients you can rely on, they don't clog up pores and are not at all harsh on the skin, this is why they're a great choice for the skin care in general but more specifically for acne.

A facial cleanser shouldn't really be used on the body (mistake I made) as the skin on the face is different to that on the body and certain ingredients may just irritate the skin. Also the regimen shouldn't really be performed fully on the body, really you only generally need a good body wash, or/and the AHA+ cream that you are talking about.

Try looking here Body Wash Reviews

Edited by Max Quin

Soap is not always helpful for cleansing. There should be separate cleanser for body and face. Proper cleanser help to prevent acne.

I only use soap on areas like my underarms and legs. Everywhere else gets the BP wash because I'd rather not have them conflict with each other in some way.

I use handmade soap and it works fine for me and strips the skin less than a store bought cleanser, at least for my skin.

I'd rather keep sulfates off of my skin and hair if I can. :)