Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JoeBloggs

You know how they say skinny people usually have more acne than fat people?

Well after seeing a couple of these type of threads on Acne.org it got me thinking...

This has probably been theorized before on the boards before but anyway..

Say a skinny person has a fast metabolism, because their body processes food that quickly, their liver is more likely to become overloaded and isnt able to deal with all the toxins/crap as effectively, well since a high metabolism is something you are born with that means your liver has been consistently overloaded and strained since an early age so your liver is probably generally in worse shape then someone who has a slow metabolism?

Secondly and more importantly, someone with a fast metabolism who consumes alot of carbs, processes it that quickly that the blood sugar level spikes are much more intense, insulin response is heightened because of this and the body becomes resistant to these high levels of insulin over time (again since early age), so at the end of the day in the skinny person's case, high insulin levels (meaning higher androgen activity in general, also meaning more of the androgen DHT which causes more oil) are the norm for the person, which combined with the poor liver function = acne.

Whereas a larger person with a slow metabolism processes food much more slower, so both the liver function and insulin/blood sugar levels have not been damaged or unbalanced consistently since early age.

I was thinking maybe thats why people who are skinnier generally have more acne whereas bigger people usually have nicer skin. I personally have noticed this and the general consensus on these boards is the same.

Has what I said made much sense? Im pretty new to this whole diet and holistic, high GI, sugar and insulin thing but I think I've got the right idea maybe?

EDIT: Im off to bed now so if i dont reply for a while Im not being rude :D

Edited by JoeBloggs

It makes complete sense to me. I've been thinking the same for awhile. Damn you fast metabolism!

Your theory doesn't make sense to me at all.

I see plenty of fat and skinny people with lots of pimples.....

Your theory doesn't make sense to me at all.

I see plenty of fat and skinny people with lots of pimples.....

Well my theory isnt the be all and end all of acne, I'm just thinking it could be one of the many many factors causes of acne

Fat clear people have insulin problems too.

Maybe these particular fat clear people dont have acne prone skin in the first place?

Could be.

However, I've read frequently that body fat contains (or is associated with, idk) higher aromatase enzymes, which converts free testosterone to estrogen. Free testosterone is also what is converted ultimately to DHT, so you either go one way or the other, estrogen or DHT. Could be that more testosterone is being converted to estrogen rather than to DHT.

Could be.

However, I've read frequently that body fat contains (or is associated with, idk) higher aromatase enzymes, which converts free testosterone to estrogen. Free testosterone is also what is converted ultimately to DHT, so you either go one way or the other, estrogen or DHT. Could be that more testosterone is being converted to estrogen rather than to DHT.

Yeah thats a good point, also would explain why there are larger people who get acne since estrogen dominance can sometimes manifest itself in acne problems.

Joe you might want to do some research on histadelia. This site has a few things about it:

http://www.drkaslow.com/html/histadelia.html

I have briefly looked into that before, similar thing with Hyperthyroidism which also increases metabolism.

i guess that theory could be legit.. but I have seen people of all shapes and sizes with acne;In my area I actually think obese people have a higher rate of acne than under weight people