Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SweetJade1980

Quercetin & Other Inflammation Modulators

Howdy!

This idea came to me a few months ago when I was reading up on quercetin. I've yet to try it myself, but today I will be purchasing a bottle of it combined with bromelian to see if it may help prevent any detox breakouts, as I am starting another detoxification and healing regimen.

The fear with any program that may help acne, is that of breakouts. Minor ones may not be a big deal but the larger and more painful ones (cystic) tend to leave behind marks that take far longer to go away than did the actual acne. So the thought is to find products that are very effective at treating most forms of inflammation involved in the development of acne so that hopefully when someone takes ViraStop, Colostrum, L-Glutamine, Whole Body Cleanse, etc. they may not experience a "die off" or "initial breakout" reaction or at least not as severe.

I proposed some people try to reduce the histamine reaction that occurs when you are exposed to an allergen, whether you have environmental or food allergies or intolerances, by using Quercetin. Then I did a search to see if anyone has been succesfull at trying this method, which is when I came across this small experiment by a person from the University of Southern California: http://www.usc.edu/CSSF/History/2006/Projects/S1414.pdf In this experiment she found that Quercetin helped reduce acne and bacterial counts when applied topically!

The mode of action for Quercetin may be many, however I do know that it pevents certain white blood cells from leaking out histamine, which as I've mentioned is involved in the formation of acne. There has certainly been posts around discussing people taking anti-histamines and doing so effectively, but the concern there is that we don't want to inhibit our body's natural defenses, so taking something that is more natural based, that also has other health benefits, may be a better method.

At this point, I am curious as to whether anyone on here has taken traditional or natural anti-histamines and noted their results. The manufacturers of some of these products believe that you can take these and not have a reaction when you consume food that normally would ellict a reaction. That being said, results may be dose dependent and may also depend on what your typical reaction would be to consuming a particular food (certain foods elicit stronger inflammatory reactions for some people) Natural forms of anti-histamines include Quercetin, Bromelain, Perilla Seed Oil, Histame, Allerase (Enzymedica), Sea Buckthorn and I am sure there are others.

Bromelian is also good at reducing inflammation in more ways than one. It is considered highly effective compared to other natural anti-inflammatories such as Turmeric. However, you don't take 2 capsules a day to treat inflammation, you may need to take up to 6 - 9 capsules a day on an empty stomach (1 hr before meals or 2 hrs after) and you take the highest potency of GDUs per gram you can find (2,400 GDUs). There are a few other possible anti-inflammatories I would like to cover, which I will have to do after work. In the mean time, here's some reading for you:

http://www.immunesupport.com/92fal004.htm

Take care

SJ

Edited by SweetJade1980

I actually ordered some quercetin pills a couple of days ago which will arrive soon, its 500mg pills, how many do you suggest to take?

I also ordered turmeric and will look into the bromelian that you wrote about.

Will write in this thread with updates after Ive started with the quercetin.

SAM-e (methyl donor)

Methyl B12 (methyl cobalamin)

B6 (P5P)

Folate from lots of vegetables. (3+ pounds a day)

This, alongside a histamine restricted diet, has really worked wonders, not only in skin quality, but in general quality of life.

SAM-e (methyl donor)

Yeah, that's a form of methionine. You could also consume cysteine, as in NAC, which will get converted to methionine. Sulfur containing amino acids.

I've seen conflicting things about the folate and histamine.

You can also just eat lots of sulfur containing veggies, which also contain quercetin, with a bit of salt. Make a stir fry with lots of onion, garlic, cabbage, broccoli, etc. Don't overcook to retain the vitamin C. Use red onion and cabbage for the Proanthocyanidins. And a green smoothie with greens, apples, grapes or greens with tomato for the C, sulfur and Proanthocyanidins.

Edited by alternativista

If you subscribe to the under/over methylation theory, then folate can go either way. Personally, the more vegetables I eat, the better I feel therefore I do not feel it is a problem for me. All my vegetables are raw. I weight lift so I already spend enough time over the stove top.

Anti inflamatories weaken the immune system. I doubt that long term anti inflamatories will be good for your body at all.

ever heard of natural healthy anti inflamatories, all ancient traditional cultures consumed tons of anti inflammatory foods and substances

Anti inflamatories weaken the immune system. I doubt that long term anti inflamatories will be good for your body at all.

?????

No they don't. Many are specifically good for the immune system. Vitamin C for example.

And they are essential for the body to battle the chronic inflammation that ages you and leads to degenerative health conditions like arteriosclerosis, diabetes, arthritis, etc.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2585034

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2574309

Edited by alternativista

?????

No they don't. Many are specifically good for the immune system. Vitamin C for example.

And they are essential for the body to battle the chronic inflammation that ages you and leads to degenerative health conditions like arteriosclerosis, diabetes, arthritis, etc.

I love reading your research/respect your knowledge, but I have to cautiously back him up on this one. Very high dose supplements of antioxidants and anti-inflammatories can dampen the immune system. There's a good amount of research showing megadoses of vitamin c can do this. Overly high doses of fish-oil have been linked to suppressed killer T-cell action. etc, etc...

This is why i think the best plan is to just stick to getting your beneficial substances from food, whenever possible. (which I believe you're a proponent of too). We really don't clearly understand why vegetables and fruit and nuts have a positive impact on chronic disease incidence and lifespan. The antioxidant theory has been whacked out of the ballpark, as far as I'm concerned. We may not know for decades or centuries to come.

Edited by greentiger87

I love reading your research/respect your knowledge, but I have to cautiously back him up on this one. Very high dose supplements of antioxidants and anti-inflammatories can dampen the immune system. There's a good amount of research showing megadoses of vitamin c can do this. Overly high doses of fish-oil have been linked to suppressed killer T-cell action. etc, etc...

This is why i think the best plan is to just stick to getting your beneficial substances from food, whenever possible. (which I believe you're a proponent of too). We really don't clearly understand why vegetables and fruit and nuts have a positive impact on chronic disease incidence and lifespan. The antioxidant theory has been whacked out of the ballpark, as far as I'm concerned. We may not know for decades or centuries to come.

Well, I of course wasn't talking about mega-dosing anything. The poster only mentioned long-term use. Which of course, is nonsense. Real food is full of anti-inflammatory substances. Which everyone should be eating long term.

Well, I of course wasn't talking about mega-dosing anything. The poster only mentioned long-term use. Which of course, is nonsense. Real food is full of anti-inflammatory substances. Which everyone should be eating long term.

And you think these natural anti-inflamatories are going to be strong enough to downregulate the immune system enough to prevent it attacking acne bacteria?...

Why would doctors prescribe prednisone, cortisone and dapsone as antiinflamatories for acne if vitamin C was powerful enough?

And you think these natural anti-inflamatories are going to be strong enough to downregulate the immune system enough to prevent it attacking acne bacteria?...

Why would doctors prescribe prednisone, cortisone and dapsone as antiinflamatories for acne if vitamin C was powerful enough?

I wouldn't want my immune system 'downregulated' or impaired in anyway. I want it to work the way it's supposed to.

And bacteria is the least import of the factors involved in acne formation. Don't focus your efforts and research there. Chronic inflammation and hyperkeratinization are more important and at the root of the problem.

And why do doctors prescribe all kinds of drugs for all kinds of conditions when diet and lifestyle habits can prevent, reduce and even reverse them? Diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, most of the supposed 'conditions of aging' etc.

And you really shouldn't be given serious things like prednisone for acne. Run from any doctor that tries to give you that.

Edited by alternativista

Howdy!

This idea came to me a few months ago when I was reading up on quercetin. I've yet to try it myself, but today I will be purchasing a bottle of it combined with bromelian to see if it may help prevent any detox breakouts, as I am starting another detoxification and healing regimen.

The fear with any program that may help acne, is that of breakouts. Minor ones may not be a big deal but the larger and more painful ones (cystic) tend to leave behind marks that take far longer to go away than did the actual acne. So the thought is to find products that are very effective at treating most forms of inflammation involved in the development of acne so that hopefully when someone takes ViraStop, Colostrum, L-Glutamine, Whole Body Cleanse, etc. they may not experience a "die off" or "initial breakout" reaction or at least not as severe.

I proposed some people try to reduce the histamine reaction that occurs when you are exposed to an allergen, whether you have environmental or food allergies or intolerances, by using Quercetin. Then I did a search to see if anyone has been succesfull at trying this method, which is when I came across this small experiment by a person from the University of Southern California: http://www.usc.edu/CSSF/History/2006/Projects/S1414.pdf In this experiment she found that Quercetin helped reduce acne and bacterial counts when applied topically!

The mode of action for Quercetin may be many, however I do know that it pevents certain white blood cells from leaking out histamine, which as I've mentioned is involved in the formation of acne. There has certainly been posts around discussing people taking anti-histamines and doing so effectively, but the concern there is that we don't want to inhibit our body's natural defenses, so taking something that is more natural based, that also has other health benefits, may be a better method.

At this point, I am curious as to whether anyone on here has taken traditional or natural anti-histamines and noted their results. The manufacturers of some of these products believe that you can take these and not have a reaction when you consume food that normally would ellict a reaction. That being said, results may be dose dependent and may also depend on what your typical reaction would be to consuming a particular food (certain foods elicit stronger inflammatory reactions for some people) Natural forms of anti-histamines include Quercetin, Bromelain, Perilla Seed Oil, Histame, Allerase (Enzymedica), Sea Buckthorn and I am sure there are others.

Bromelian is also good at reducing inflammation in more ways than one. It is considered highly effective compared to other natural anti-inflammatories such as Turmeric. However, you don't take 2 capsules a day to treat inflammation, you may need to take up to 6 - 9 capsules a day on an empty stomach (1 hr before meals or 2 hrs after) and you take the highest potency of GDUs per gram you can find (2,400 GDUs). There are a few other possible anti-inflammatories I would like to cover, which I will have to do after work. In the mean time, here's some reading for you:

http://www.immunesupport.com/92fal004.htm

Take care

SJ

I just got back from my food allegy test today and was told that instead of using Citirizine for my constant runny nose and sneezing fits i should try and use more natural anti inflammatories such as Quercetin. However i've just begun to take l-glutamine and probiotics (again) and i'm worried that i might be overloading my system (and i dont want another breakout). Does anyone share this view that too much too soon will harm my body? keeping in mind that i will have to give up the citirizine tablets i've been taking for around five years (i know that sounds excessive but although they dont completely cure my sinus/drippy nose problem they certainly help it)

Any advice and i'd be very grateful (p.s i know 5 years on an antihistamine may seem insane but it honestly helps my colds...four of five days off it and i'd be sneezing every 10 seconds)