Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
icdancer

My problem with the regimen

Washing twice per day (admittedly sometimes 3 times per day because of my schedule. Yikes!) with a gentle cleanser combined with the benzoyl peroxide (a moderate amount) and a moisturizer..AHA at night...has done wonders to clear my skin. I can't recall the last zit I had. I've been on the regimen since August 09 and love how clear my skin has gotten.

My problem? The benzoyl peroxide. It really dries out skin. My skin now seems to be producing excess oil to make up for the drying from the bp. I feel really tight after I put it on (even after moisturizing) but then after an hour my face turns into an oil slick. It's embarrassing. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

After doing some research, I think I'm going to switch to a salicylic acid with my usual Clinique moisturizer and the AHA moisturizer at night. I see the Murad and philosophie both have good lines. If I experience any breakouts, I'm right back to the regimen, though.

Washing twice per day (admittedly sometimes 3 times per day because of my schedule. Yikes!) with a gentle cleanser combined with the benzoyl peroxide (a moderate amount) and a moisturizer..AHA at night...has done wonders to clear my skin. I can't recall the last zit I had. I've been on the regimen since August 09 and love how clear my skin has gotten.

My problem? The benzoyl peroxide. It really dries out skin. My skin now seems to be producing excess oil to make up for the drying from the bp. I feel really tight after I put it on (even after moisturizing) but then after an hour my face turns into an oil slick. It's embarrassing. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

After doing some research, I think I'm going to switch to a salicylic acid with my usual Clinique moisturizer and the AHA moisturizer at night. I see the Murad and philosophie both have good lines. If I experience any breakouts, I'm right back to the regimen, though.

I would suggest trying a different moisturizer. It sounds like the one you are using isn't moisturizing enough. Cetaphil is great, and many people really like it. It is kind of greasy in my opinion, which is why I only use it at night. Be sure you are moisturizing twice a day, even if your face is oily. Have you tried the jojoba oil? I add a few drops of that into the Cetaphil moisturizer and it has really been making a difference. Jojoba oil can actually help with oiliness because the oil is similiar to the one our bodies produces.

"The jojoba oil for acne is said to be a panacea with its ability to trick the skin into stopping the production of sebum through somehow mimicking sebum. It is mainly with this fact that jojoba oil for acne is deemed to help in the break down of sebum or oil in the plugged-up pores. Experts have suggested that in the application of this oil, the sebum and jojoba oil for acne combine readily without sealing off the pores. Speaking of non-irritating, many findings have stated that jojoba oil for acne is not irritating to the eyes as well as the skin. In the process, the skin is said to rapidly absorb the jojoba oil, leaving the pores as well as the hair follicles in the skin open so that they can function properly".

Since you have been virtually acne free for so long, I would be hesitant in switching your skin care regimen. If I were you, I'd try a different moisturizer and see what happens. I know if I were you, I wouldn't want to switch all of my products and then experience breakouts again!

Hey, we're from the same state!

Adding jojoba oil is the second route I thought of. Last time I ordered bp from acne.org they were offering free shipping with the purchase of jojoba oil, but of course I read this AFTER placing my order. Hmph.

Is there any difference in jojoba oil, like in terms of brands? If I can pick some up at the drug store today I'll have a week and a half to test drive it before my trip to Sephora.

I have the same problem..though I just started the Regimen. Try the jojoba oil for sure...drugstore brand is the same! BUT.....If you wash more than twice a day, your skin will automatically produce more oil to combat the excess moisture loss...SO omit the 3rd wash if you can, It will help!!

I got the jojoba oil today after having to go to 4 different stores to find it. We'll see how it treats me in the next week and a half. If my oil seems to be lessened or under control I'll stick my current regimen. If there is little to no difference...no more bp for me.

Be careful not to use too much jojoba -- your first instinct is to use a lot because you're so frustrated with your dry skin, but maybe go with 1-3 drops in your moisturizer at first and then take it from there.

Do you wash your face with really hot/warm water? Try using colder water, that helped me with reducing the amount of flakes. I also started exfoliating once a week to remove the dead skin cells and letting the BP petrate deeper. Another trick i picked up is making sure not to use a towel on your face to super dry your face, just blot and let your skin absorb some water. Oh and PS, i used Murad and had a horrible purge, their skin perfecting lotion is nice tho, its the ONLY thing i liked, their cleanser was sooo drying i had to switch to Purpose and it helped with the tightness, good luck!

That happened to me after using Proactive. I washed twice a day with the cleanser, applied toner, then moisterizer. It was great for a while. Cleared up my face really good , then after 6 months or so my skin started to really dry up. To try and prevent my skin from peeeling , I was applying more of the moisterizer and this just made it worse! Then came the oil!! While doing the Proactive , I literally had to blot my face like 3 times a day! It was so annoying :confused: I no longer use Proactive so I don't have this problem anymore. I am using a prescription foam called Evoclin. Works pretty good but I am starting Accutane next week as i am sick of dealing with all this crap. Plus I am scarring. BP is ok but I don't think it's for everyone's skin. :eh: