Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
erin92

How many months on accutane?

I'm going to start Accutane in about two weeks. I was wondering how long people went on it and the severity of their acne? I know it's typically around 5 months, but I had a friend who had acne like me and only went on it for four months.

Moderate cystic acne. 4 months (40mg the first month and 60mg the rest). No cysts for a year and a half so far.

hmmm interesting. I think 10mg might be too low for me. I have more moderate acne. It's a few cyts and nodules but mostly pustles. When I see my derm, Ill ask him about he's somewhat planning for me. I might be going on a program like Savia

Hey,

I looked at your gallery cause I saw that you were on my page. By the looks of the pictures your skin is really clear, I'm surprised you want to take on the side effects of accutane if your skin looks like how the pictures showed. But I suppose those could be old "before" pictures, if so I would suggest accutane, I am into my 5th month and am so thankful everyday for this miracle medicine.

My first month I was on 40 mg. Second and third monht I did altering days, 40 mg on day and 80 mg the next day, and once I was into month four I was on 80 mg every day (DEFINITELY saw the most results with 80 mg a day). I would never suggest doing 10 mg, that is pointless and would be a waste of money and you'd see little to no results.

Best of luck with tane! I love love love it. :wub:

Thanks but those were before pictures. Even then, those are pictures on good days haha I used to only get like one bad pimple every two weeks. Then I flared up in january really bad on my forhead. I finally don't have anmore on my forehead but now it's around my mouth and a couple on my jaw. My acne has gotten A LOT better but I still plan on taking it so I can solve acne once and for all.

How bad was your acne to start off Lindsey?

Thanks but those were before pictures. Even then, those are pictures on good days haha I used to only get like one bad pimple every two weeks. Then I flared up in january really bad on my forhead. I finally don't have anmore on my forehead but now it's around my mouth and a couple on my jaw. My acne has gotten A LOT better but I still plan on taking it so I can solve acne once and for all.

How bad was your acne to start off Lindsey?

Accutane works in strange ways. I took accutane to stop these massive cysts from popping up on my nose and it did just that for 2 years then it came back. I am now on my 2nd course but I now have to deal with acne all over my cheeks and sides of my face which i had none of at all before taking accutane.

Your dose and length of time on Accutane is weight dependant. There is a total dose you need, so depending on how you tolerate it and how high a dose you can take each day will depend on how long. I did 40 first month, went to 60 2nd month, am having some side effects(hair and very dry lips), so wont go up in dose and will be on for 5 months. If she could've increased my dose to 80 I may have been done in 4. So it really all depends on your weight, and then how you tolerate the medication.

I knew it had to do with weight, I just didn't know it had to do with toleration to the medication as well. Thanks for letting me know!

I weigh about 127lbs, which is about 57 kg, how much dosage do you think I'll be put on?

"with a total cumulative dose of 120–150 mg/kg used as a guideline"

so total dose of 6840-8550, so that's around 40-60 mg per day for 5 months. Just an estimated example. This is how they figure it out. So mild acne would obviously go with the 120mg/kg and severe more like the 150mg/kg.

Does that make sense??? My total dose is around 8400. I am 148 pounds moderate/severe cystic acne. I took 40mg per day month one and am now on 60 per day and will stay there until done. Total of 5 months, probably. I am already seeing good results after 2 months, but am having some side effects. Tolerable ones, but they're there. Very dry lips, very tired, shedding hair, off and on spots of eczema.

As far as side effects impacting, for me, it is not impacting cumulative dose, just daily dose. My total dose will still be 8400.

Edited by enaid

enaid, that kinda makes sense to me. I think I'll just ask my derm when I see him because my acne has cleared somewhat since I've been there. I hope I can get it done in 4 or 5 months and not 6. My friend just told me she only got dry lips and nose area. I have another friend who is on it right now and she just says her lips feel kinda dry.