Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jammers

Lymecycline . . worse before it gets better?

Hi everyone. My doctor put me on Lymecycline one a day, with a repeat prescription for a year(!). I've been using BP 5/10% on and off for over 5 years now. The BP does help, but I'm just sick of using it and it drying out my skin so decided to ask to be put on anti-biotics.

I've been on the anti-biotics for a week now and already I'm noticing an effect . . . a bad one. I'm getting spots on my back, where I haven't had them there for years and a few on my kneck. My face has stayed the same-ish, but I think that's because I'm still using the BP(5%).

Has anyone experienced it getting worse before it gets better? I've read a few posts on anti-biotics on here and no one seems to mention it. It seems like a natural body response, the bacteria is fighting back before eventually my immune system and Lymecycline will win out? If not then perhaps I'm having a bad reaction and should go back to my doctor?

Also, I'm planning on keeping on my BP/E45 moisturiser regime (twice a day) for the next month and a half or so and then going on to using the regime for once a day for another month or so. Is that wise? Should I be stopping the BP/E45 regime now? Other people's experiences with BP whilst on anti-biotics would be useful as I'm quite unsure on what to do!

I'm taking Solodyn. My derm said that it can make some people worse before it makes you better. I've only been on it a couple of weeks or so, but I can see some improvement. Nothing like clear or anything, but less imflamation. I continue to use BP, and the derm agreed I should. I still get new breakouts. I only use BP on actives. I found using it all over just irritated my skin too much.