Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jasin

People here who have CURED their acne...

OK, so I am a very impatient type guy and I don't want to read tons of threads to try to piece things together and find myself a new routine. I am 27 and I have had acne for about 13 years. When I first got it, it was not that bad but it got progressively worse until about 21. Now at 27, it is not as bad as it once was but it is still plenty bad.

Anyway, if you are an adult and you have found a CURE to your acne, please let me know what it is. I don't care about "treating" my acne, does anybody here have a routine/diet/pill/combination of all of those things/whatever else that made the acne go away and not come back? I realize the answer from most is probably "no", but if there is even one person who can give me a shred of hope that I can cure this wretched condition and make it go away, I would be pleased to hear what they recommend. Thank you.

theres an abundance of information on this site. Your basically asking if somebody has the magic cure, everybody wants this but sadly it doesnt exist.

No one remedy will cure you, that much I can guarantee.

Everybody has different deficiencies and causes of their acne, you must find yours and then through your own path find the solution.

That or try accutane.

There is no "cure" for acne. The best you can do it to keep it under control until your body outgrows the tendency to be acne prone. This means finding whatever works best for you, and continuing to use that treatment. Even if something clears you up, once you stop treatment, the acne will very likely return.

I've been 90-100% clear over the last couple years, but I still get the occasional spot and a few clogged pores here and there. So, while my acne is very well-controlled, I am clearly still acne prone and would likely flare up again if I stopped doing my regimen. Same is true for the majority of people who have cleared their acne through whatever treatments they are using.

According to some people, the closest thing to a cure is Accutane, but from what I can see with people's experiences here, it is no guarantee.

I know exactly how you feel! I had severe cystic acne since I was 15 and I'm now 32 yrs. old. I tried everything too, antibiotics (doxy, erythromycin, zithromax, etc.,) accutane, blue/red light, laser therapy, tons of water, exercise, diets, herbal teas and every imaginable topical product and cleanser you can think of (prescription and OTC). My acne made me depressed and very self-conscious all the time, It got to the point where I didn't like going out in public anymore, until one day I read a post by ASN6 on Niacin. I was desperate to try anything and felt I had nothing to lose anyway so I tried it and I saw dramatic improvements after only 2 weeks! It took a little over a month for me to be clear, but it's the best my skin has looked in a long time. This regimen might not work for everyone, but it doesn't hurt for you to try it at least for 2 months. Let me know how it works for you

*The Niacin Treatment:

(1) Super B-Complex tab. with breakfast or lunch (to keep the Niacin balanced with the other B-vitamins)

(1) Omega 3 fish oil capsule (1,200mg at least)

Take these together in the evening:

(1) 500 mg Nature's Bounty Flush-Free Niacin (Inositol Hexacotinate) with a meal, preferably at night because it made me sort of sleepy.

(1) Milk Thistle capsule any brand ( I use Finest Natural 175mg standardized extract)

(1 ) Nature's Bounty Saw Palmetto 450mg capsule …You can find all of these supplements at Walgreen’s *

Other stuff I used on my face:

MD Formulations Facial Cleanser (with 12% glycolic) found online at Skinstore or Skincare rx.

Or MD Forte Facial Cleanser III is also really good

In the evening after washing with cleanser,

DDF Sulfur Therapeutic Mask (daily)Leave on for 10 minutes or more then rinse well & follow with

Peter Thomas Roth Max Complexion Correction pads let your face air dry then apply:

10% Benzoyl Peroxid only on the cysts, I personally like Zapzit the best and it pretty cheap $4-5 bucks (wal-mart or walgreens) Leave on overnight.

If your face gets dry and starts peeling, Purpose Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion with SPF 15 is pretty good, especially if your gonna be in the sun. Dan's moisturizer/jojoba oil combo also works well.

These cleansers are a little pricey, but definitely worth it and you don’t need to use that much. Or you can use your own cleansers, but don’t overwash because it irritates the skin , 2 times a day morning and night is all you need! Don’t steam your face or exfoliate anymore either, because you’re just making the acne worse, it needs to rest and heal, believe me I was like you and in my efforts to get clear I just aggravated the situation with my overzealous attempts, then I realized less is more.

Diet: Basically, balanced. I kind of watched my intake of fatty, greasy foods. Some people say they noticed improvements when they stayed away from dairy or peanuts, but you just have to find what works for you, because everyone is different.

Exercise: 4-5 x per week if possible , 30 min- 1 hour per session

I believe this helps dramatically with whatever the Niacin is doing. Drinking water, taking Niacin, and sweating a lot seemed to really, really help.

Sleep: Try to get 8 hours if possible, especially while the face is still healing.

Best of Luck! :)

I understand where you're coming from as well. Heck, I'm also 27, and I've been struggling with acne since I was 14. The past several years (from about age 24 onwards), my acne has been under control. I STILL break out from all sorts of things - my skin has a real knack of finding new things to react to - but it is usually controllable. The effects are nonetheless, very emotionally damaging, particularly when you still have to go through life (especially going to work and dealing with so many other people) with a face of acne.

I have to agree with Willow regarding this. I think your best bet is to learn how to manage the acne, until your body grows past this phase. Or at least, when your skin has finally stabilised. For myself, the best way of controlling my acne is to keep my regimen as simple and as gentle as possible. I wash my face with the Purpose cleanser and moisturise with Complex 15 lotion, both morning and night. I stay away from foundation, unless absolutely necessary, and when I do use makeup, I make sure to get rid of it all before I sleep. And that's it. I don't use other acne products. I'm thinking of trying something to help fade the red marks faster, but well, that's not happening yet.

As for diet, I do try to be as healthy as possible, but I've never been able to resist chocolate, and don't plan to. So I still take chocolate. However, one change I made is to cut down on milk intake. I replaced cow milk with soy milk. It seems to have helped, but I cannot be completely sure. I also exercise more regularly now - which means whenever I can, about 3 times a week. I am unfortunately, not as exercise-conscious as I would like!

So yep, that's what I do. For me, simplicity is the key. However, I cannot guarantee that it'll work for you. What I DO hope though, is that you manage to find a way that helps you gain more control over your acne. And do hang in there! You still have a life ahead of you (no, 27 is not too late!) and don't lose it over acne. Good luck!

Thank you to everybody who responded. I made this post last night when I looked in the mirror and discovered a gang of acne on my forehead after I thought that I might have found a routine that was working for me. I realize that there is probably no magic cure for acne, but I made this post out of frustration. I can't get accutane, but I might try some of the other things that windchijmes and melly recommended. Again, I appreciate it.

Hi I just also wanted to mention that if you are on a limited budget a couple of other really good soaps you could try are

Shea Moisture African Black Soap for about $5. I found some at my local Target store or you can buy it online at: www.sheamoisture.com/products/procuctid/130/organic-bar-soap-african-black

Likas Papaya soap is also really good and is in the same price range. You can buy that at your local Asian/Oriental store or at amazon. And if you don't want to take all of the supplements I recommended, at least make sure and get the Niacin, I'm sure you'll start noticing a difference really soon if you take it religiously every evening. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I have found a 'cure' for my acne.... I only developed acne about 3 years ago and tried absolutely everything to get it to go away, including trawling through the internet and chemist shops almost every day, in the end I found that this simple five minute routine works for me -

I have devised a really simple routine that works great for me, im not saying that its going to work for everyone, but I think anyone who has the same type of acne as me should definitely give it a go! No expensive lazer treatments, chemical peeling or anything, just a really simple, effective skin care routine.

I had mild/moderate acne all around my cheeks, chin and forehead and even some on my neck. I never had spots or acne growing up, until I turned 21, then my face just broke out all over with acne - I was horrified!! Some were just clusters of spots, but some turned into ugly looking pustules/cystic (the kind that looks like three or four spots have joined to create big red lumps!!)

On this routine I have now, I still get the occasional spot and very mild breakout, but nothing serious.

I am a girl and I love makeup and I had read too many post saying "dont wear makeup", "let your skin breathe" and all that, but i couldn't leave the house without makeup I was so embarrassed my my face!

Anyway, here's what I did -

First I went to my doctor who prescribed me pills which would dry up the oilyness in my skin. This was not the contraceptive pill. Sometimes the contraceptive pill can easily clear up acne but unfortunately my acne was not an hormonal imbalance, it was simply due to oily sensitive skin. If your acne is a hormonal balance I would strongly recommend giving the contraceptive pill a go!

After taking the full course of the pills my skin was still as bad as ever so I gave up completely on getting any help from the medical profession!

So first thing I did was talk to a make-up consultant who told me I should switch to a makeup that was oil free. I always thought that oil on oily skin was meant to balance out the ph or something - this is wrong, it doesn't! I don't care how many skin consultants and dematologists talk about oil on oil balancing out the ph, i think its the biggest load of crap designed to keep you their paying customer - if they actually cured you, they would loose you as a patient!!! one less acne covered patient = one less mercedes in their driveway!!!!

anyway - back to the makeup - I now wear mac studio fix fluid and a light dusting of mac blot powder and bronzer. Similar brands that do oil free makeup for acne prone skin but still give a good coverage are clinque and estee lauder.

I also stopped using facial scrubs as these were irritating my skin further. I now remove my makeup with Tesco's own brand sensitive skin facial wipes and then cleanse with Vichy combination/oily skin cleanser.

Then I use a dead sea facial mask (Deep Sea Magik) from Holland and Barrett (it only takes five minutes) to deep cleanse down into my pores.

I then use a decleor aromatherapy moisturiser night cream (have a talk with a consultant about a good one for your skin. They are expensive so I normally just ask for one on christmas and birthday and use the tiniest amount I can to make it last, plus since I have oily skin i don't need to moisturise it a lot.)

I also take a B12 vitamin, that helped a lot too.

In the morning I rub a cotton pad soaked in water over my face, dry it, then use another Holland and Barratt product (its a little purple tube of gel, I can't remember its name but its comes in a little purple box and you'll find it near the Deep Sea Magick stuff in store, it begins Man-something) - ill check the name and post it here.

Then I use the aromatheraphy decleor day cream and just put my makeup on.

That's the routine that worked for me, no pill or potions, just taking care to rid my pores of anything that could clog them and provoke a breakout.

so its...

Night Routine -

1. Remove makeup and surface dirt with Tesco own brand sensitive skin wipes

2. Cleanse pores with Vichy combination/oily cleanser

3. Deep cleanse pores with Deep Sea Magick Mud Mask

4. Lightly moisturise with decleor aromatheraphy night cream

5. Take a B12 vitamin

Morning Routine -

1. Remove any trace dirt and oilyness with cotton pad soaked with water (warm water to open the pores, then cold to close them)

2. Use the anti-bacterial Holland and Barrett gel (in the purple tube - ill post the name when I look at it later at home)

3. Use decleor daytime aromatherapy moisturiser

4. Use an oil free make-up such as mac, clinque or estee lauder

It seems like a long routine when its written out like that, but really it only takes 5 minutes at night and in the morning. I do it while im waiting for the kettle to boil to make a cup of tea!!

So the shopping list for my acne free skin is -

Decleor aromatheraphy night and day cream

Deep Sea Magick face mask

Vitamin B12

Vichy combination/oily skin cleanser

Tesco sensitive skin wipes

Anti-bacterial gel from Holland and Barrett (in purple tube)

and for girls - oil free makeup (mac, estee lauder, clinque)

I am in the UK but im sure you can get these products worldwide, or shipped if you order online (apart from the tesco's wipes, but any sensitive low cost wipes should be okay, just find the right ones for you!)

WARNING - the worst thing i did while trying to get rid of my acne was use harsh treatments, scrubs, chemicals on my skin, as it ended up permemantly scarring it and when I used bio oil to try and improve the look of the scarring this only made it worse and clogged up my pores further!

NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU ARE WITH YOUR ACNE AND SKIN, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ONLY USE GENTLE CLEANSERS AND CREAMS ON IT - trust me, you will regret it if you don't as the scarring can be almost as bad as the actual acne itself and the scarring is permanent, the acne is not!!!

Also, if you're worried about whiteheads please don't squeeze them as this also will scar your skin - if they are really bothering you prick them gently with a pin thats been steralised (just run it through the steam of a kettle to kill germs) and that will release the build up of bacteria.

I hope this is of some help!!! Please see the attached picture for how my skin looks now!! It's not perfect, i still have a couple of small blemishes around my chin but its miles better than it was two years ago - unbelievably so!!!!!!

post-123883-1267536037_thumb.jpg

post-123883-1267536037_thumb.jpg

does anybody here have a routine/diet/pill/combination of all of those things/whatever else that made the acne go away and not come back?

Sure.

I just live with bright outdoor light in my eyes all day (no sunglasses, no hats) and sleep 9-10 hours in total darkness at the same time each night, every day of the week -- like the 100% acne-free Trobriand Islanders. This eliminates carbohydrate malabsorption so that zinc and tryptophan can actually get absorbed and produces the large nightly melatonin surge we were designed to get that dampens the over-active immune system production of superoxide anions that causes acne.

If I can't do that, then diet suddenly can greatly affect my acne. Living in dim light significantly increases carb malabsorption, so then I have to avoid foods that contain more fructose molecules than glucose (most modern fruits, especially apples, have been bred to be high-fructose fruits). Google "FODMAP database" for the type of diets that can help avoid carb malabsorption. I try to eat more tryptophan-containing meat (tryptophan being required to make melatonin) and space it away from carbs. And then I also have to take a Vitamin B complex and zinc, the former being relevant to making melatonin, the latter has more trouble getting digested when you have carb malabsorption.

I can reliably start/stop acne production within about 48 hours, which is about the grace period one gets after normalizing a melatonin cycle.

The key to getting rid of acne lesions and preventing new ones from forming lies in knowing that, resolution takes time and what works for one person may not work for another. You need to find out which medicine suits your skin type.

My solution turned out to Accutane and after i started on it, my acne cleared up a lot.

I found my solution at *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. * It has a variety of options available for acne treatment and you can identify what is best for you.

If you don't to put in the effort - just go straight for the accutane. It's not a cure all but it basically eliminated mine. It does have some side effects though:

youtube(D)com/watch?v=iPQYCyHtXF4

Good luck!

Julia

Cure: 3x showers/day rinsing with only water

oh, and accutane.

does anybody here have a routine/diet/pill/combination of all of those things/whatever else that made the acne go away and not come back?

Sure.

I just live with bright outdoor light in my eyes all day (no sunglasses, no hats) and sleep 9-10 hours in total darkness at the same time each night, every day of the week -- like the 100% acne-free Trobriand Islanders. This eliminates carbohydrate malabsorption so that zinc and tryptophan can actually get absorbed and produces the large nightly melatonin surge we were designed to get that dampens the over-active immune system production of superoxide anions that causes acne.

If I can't do that, then diet suddenly can greatly affect my acne. Living in dim light significantly increases carb malabsorption, so then I have to avoid foods that contain more fructose molecules than glucose (most modern fruits, especially apples, have been bred to be high-fructose fruits). Google "FODMAP database" for the type of diets that can help avoid carb malabsorption. I try to eat more tryptophan-containing meat (tryptophan being required to make melatonin) and space it away from carbs. And then I also have to take a Vitamin B complex and zinc, the former being relevant to making melatonin, the latter has more trouble getting digested when you have carb malabsorption.

I can reliably start/stop acne production within about 48 hours, which is about the grace period one gets after normalizing a melatonin cycle.

what kind of meat do you eat for tryptohpan? And what fruits do you avoid? does 8 hours make a difference instead of 9-10 hours of sleep

Thank you to everybody who responded. I made this post last night when I looked in the mirror and discovered a gang of acne on my forehead after I thought that I might have found a routine that was working for me. I realize that there is probably no magic cure for acne, but I made this post out of frustration. I can't get accutane, but I might try some of the other things that windchijmes and melly recommended. Again, I appreciate it.

I'm fond of using hair to cover the acne while figuring out how to control it. I hope you find something that works for you soon. I know the trial and error is frustrating.