Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John Alex Worhopper

How I cleared my acne

For the past several years I've tried many things and tested many hypotheses. I think I've finally pinned down what works for me:

topicals:

- wash with non-residue leaving soap (such as neutrogena acne-prone bar)

- clindamycin phosphate lotion and benzoyl peroxide (otc 2.5%), twice daily

- moisturizer once daily (such as cetaphil), each morning only

food:

-no dairy

-no fish or seafood

-no vitamin supplements or health foods that have added iodine

directions for applying topicals (order matters):

every morning and night (ideally 12 hours apart):

1. apply generous amount of bp over entire affected area (avoiding eyebrows)

2. apply clindamycin phosphate all over entire affected area

3. apply moisturizer over entire area (only in the morning, skip at night)

4. apply a second layer of benzoyl peroxide over entire affected area (this helps to prevent it from getting diluted by the previous two items)

5. apply a thicker layer of benzoyl peroxide directly on lesions

Edited by John Alex Worhopper

no fish? fish is one of the healthiest and best foods for your skin. and no excessive exercise? exercise is very important for blood flow and it helps your skin repair itself faster. : / this really works for you?

no fish? fish is one of the healthiest and best foods for your skin. and no excessive exercise? exercise is very important for blood flow and it helps your skin repair itself faster. : / this really works for you?

Fish may be healthy, but at least for me, I always break out after eating it. I am note sure the reason, but a possible explanation is that it contains iodine. Both fish and milk contain iodine, so this could perhaps be a common explanation for why both fish and milk seem to make me break out. One way to test this hypothesis would be for me to take an iodine supplement or eat iodized salt and see if it breaks me out or for me to eat fish with low iodine (such as farm grown fish) and see if it doesn't break me out, however I prefer to be safe and just stay away from fish and iodine altogether.

I agree that it is unlikely that exercise causes acne, and in fact it is the only item on my list above that I am tempted to remove (note: I removed it). Recently I have actually been exercising quite a lot and it hasn't been a problem. In any case, I think exercise might cause acne indirectly in the following ways (this is all hypothetical): (1) if I don't shower after exercising, my face gets sweaty and this perhaps washes off the bp and clindamycin or dilutes it and (2) exercise makes me eat a lot more food and also possibly causes spikes in testosterone. both overeating and increases in testosterone might increase acne.

I've observed that at least for me, Dan's BP works better than On-The-Spot. The reason: On-The-Spot contains titanium dioxide, a white pigment. In order to prevent my face from looking white, I must spread out the On-The-Spot bp thin enough that the white does not show. However, I find that with Dan's BP, I can apply significantly more BP without worrying about whiteness. I find that the effective concentration of BP for me is slightly higher than is possible to apply with On-The-Spot. Also, Dan's BP dries more slowly, so is easier to spread around.

Your problem is more likely the "other stuff" they put in farm raised fish and milk.

Try eating Wild Salmon and getting raw milk; my guess is you won't have a problem with them.

And no exercise?

So your basically gonna have clear skin by depending on creams and lotions, but have vitamin/mineral deficiencies and be unhealthy?

Doesn't sound like a good plan.

Look into eating organic, it'll help.

PANIC