Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ms. forest

spironalactone + yasmin + clinique = the best skin i've ever had

For any girl out there with persistent, aggressive acne, anywhere from mild to severe, hormonal treatments can literally save your skin, and your life. I have had the most horrendous skin for over 10 years, with large inflamed pustules mostly on my cheeks and around my chin although my forehead was also a culprit at times. When minocyclin, tetracyclin, countless benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid skin treatments, skin id, proactive, scalp treatments (for dermatitis ???), acne "diets", candida treatments, and TWO courses of accutane all didn't work on my skin I thought that there was zero hope of me ever, EVER being able to walk out my door without makeup on again.

I was convinced that my acne would never go away, I was doing everything I could, I used bare minerals makeup, I was on yasmin, I had tried everything and had literally given up when my dermatologist finally decided to write me a prescription for spironalactone. I started taking it almost a year ago, and right away my skin started improving. I am still taking it, at 100 mgs a day (one 50 mg dose in the morning, one at night) along with yasmin every day, and could not be happier. Taking it has completely eliminated all of the large, under-the-surface pustules, and cut down my oil production so much that my skin is always soft and never shiny, even without makeup!

Once my hormones had stopped leading to this excess oil production, I realized that my skin was actually dry underneath, and that the harsh over the counter medications I had been putting on my face had only exacerbated my situation by inflaming everything. I switched from whatever products I had been using to just a few simple over-the-counter basics which I had never thought to try before. Now I use Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser to wash my face twice a day, Clinique dramatically different moisturizing lotion (not gel) after washing twice a day, and the Clinique clarifying lotion #1 (for dry skin) every night as an exfoliator. Making this skin care switch eliminated any remaining whiteheads, blackheads, smaller pustules and uneven skin tone I still had.The final change came surprisingly when I switched from my expensive bare minerals makeup to just a drugstore foundation powder (l'oreal bare naturale mineral powder) and a mild salicylic acid concealer (almay clear complexion concealer) for any new bumps, which happen very rarely.

I have never had better skin in my entire life! Now I can finally feel confident going outside without makeup on, I can go swimming without feeling uncomfortable, I can see my freckles again for the first time in years, I have never felt so happy and relieved!! The sprionalactone took several months to start working, but once I made the rest of my skincare changes my skin completely cleared in a little over a month. But it took 10 hard years of experimenting to find this miracle routine, please don't give up hope everyone! If I could find a cure for my horrible skin, then you can too. Keep trying! And don't underestimate the power of balanced hormones and using the right products for your skin type. Good luck!

Edited by ms. forest

I am 3 months on spiro now.. and I am like 95% clear.. Your clinique and regimen change really peaked my interest.. It looks like the lotion 1 is like a toner..do you put this on before moisturizer for the evening? Can you tell me a lil more about your regimen?

Of course! What I do every night before bed is wash my face with warm water and cetaphil, then I dry it only a little abrasively with a washcloth to loosen up any dead skin cells which makes the toner more effective. Then I apply the toner with cotton balls, rubbing it all over my face, and finally, I rinse with cooler water and gently pat dry my face with the washcloth. I wait until my face is dry before applying the lotion, and it usually only needs 2 or 3 pumps. I don't use the toner in the mornings and started rinsing after I used it at night in order to keep my skin from becoming too dry or inflamed, because when that happens, I usually end up breaking out a little bit. Because spironolactone limits oil production, I've found it's best to keep my skin extra hydrated. I hope that helps!

Thank you for sharing your routine. I have started Spiro-- am in about 26 days. My skin is responding well. But I am awaiting my monthly cycle to really see if it is working. I find that keeping my skin extra hydrated helps as well. I have been using anything I have arond the house. I have tried so many things I have enough for a couple of months. When I finally do run out- What is it that you like about Clinique specifically?

So spiro worked were `tane failed thats interesting.

Did you ever try anti-inflamatories such predisone and dapsone.

So I finally got out and bought the clarifying lotion (a fairly big bottle is 11.50 Trees).. It took me awhile to get to the store you have to go to macy's or nordstrom somewhere like that. Anyway that was a few days ago and I think it is helping my skin, but I use clean and clear deep cleansing cream($4.50), and Olay Active Hydrating Beauty fluid (8-9$ for a good size container). And I think this combo is working well for me. But the clarifying lotion is making my skin even softer and I think it is keeping it clearer but I need a month to tell for sure. It feels good though!! But I leave it on and dont wash it off especially at night.