Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amyelizabeth94

My Colostrum Update with Pictures

Hey all,

Here is my update. I started colostrum in December and I have pictures from January and February. The pictures from January 29th really show my initial breakout. I didn't realize it was so bad until I looked at these pictures today.

I just reduced my dosage to 1.5g a day this week. My face is looking better, but I also started spironolactone 2 weeks ago, so I think it might be because of it. My new breakouts are limited, but I have tons of red marks and I think it's too early to tell if I'll have indented scars.

My diet from Jan and Feb was very clean with fish, chicken, veggies, almonds, cashews, and very limited whole grains.

Topically I use niacinamide, mandelic acid, BP and Aloe Vera from the plant.

Edited by amyelizabeth94

My acne used to look quite a bit like yours a few years back. I'd have to say that the food that kept breaking me out on my cheeks was definitely microwavable. They killed me. I recently picked them back up due to a lack of money, but set them right back down after a couple of pimples on my left cheek.

How is yours looking now?

It's looking better, but the most recent picture is from today, so I still have a long way to go. The funny thing is that I didn't even start breaking out until August of this year. I didn't really get serious about treating it until October/November. I wish I would have started sooner.

My hormone tests indicate high DHEA, so I went on the spironolactone.

As for the colostrum, I'm happy I tried it because I'm sure I'm healthier because of it, but man that IB was terrible...

I had exactly the same reaction like you amy with IB. But with me it was lots of white zits. I reduced my colostrum intake down to about 2 grams a day. And combined with paleo style diet my white zits have reduced a little. I will keep taking Colostrum because it really helps my immune system. I haven't been sick during this winter at all!! just a little sore throat for 2 days

Hey amy,

you had a pretty strong IB there. Could you describe your diet in more detail? What did you eat today?

Hey there, I eat eggs for breakfast every morning, fish, nuts and whole grains for lunch, and fish or chicken and veggies for dinner. Now today was a different story. Eggs for breakfast, apple and pita chips for lunch, salad, fish and bean burrito for dinner, and lots of wine :) I'm on spironolactone now and have to watch my potassium, so no more almonds, spinach, avocados, tomatos, etc... Which is quite annoying. I never wanted to go the prescription route, but I became very desperate. It's working, so Im happy!

Has there been a single person who successfully improved their skin by taking colostrum?

Yes. There was someone in the original thread that has improved their skin.

I don't think it's a cure-all, but combined with diet and not in the mega doses people are taking (for whatever reason) it can be helpful.

I take close to 2 grams a day. That's it. That's all I've ever taken and I've NEVER gotten an IB and I did notice something quite interesting. In eating mostly raw foods, my skin cleared up. I was also taking colostrum. There were a couple of times I ate things to be polite (it was my dad's birthday. How do you say no?) and it had no affect on my skin.

Then, I sort of got lazy and stopped taking it. At one point, I was snowed in and couldn't go out to buy any veggies or anything I could actually eat. I had a cheese sandwich. My skin broke out the next day and I felt bloody exhausted. Then, I started taking my colostrum again. I've had a few bad things knowingly, just to curb a few cravings because I knew I'd feel like crap after eating it (weird methodology, I know). I have yet to experience a breakout, though I was nauseated for a while. Even with being nauseasted and feeling exhausted for a bit, it lifted. I'm pretty sure a lunch meat roast beef sandwich (which tasted awful - I hate roast beef but it's what we had) with a side of cottage cheese should logically be more damaging than a sandwich with one slice of deli cheese.

I don't think colostrum would be able to completely combat the negative effects of a purely bad diet, but it helps when your options are limited to things you don't normally eat.

Hey there, I eat eggs for breakfast every morning, fish, nuts and whole grains for lunch, and fish or chicken and veggies for dinner. Now today was a different story. Eggs for breakfast, apple and pita chips for lunch, salad, fish and bean burrito for dinner, and lots of wine :) I'm on spironolactone now and have to watch my potassium, so no more almonds, spinach, avocados, tomatos, etc... Which is quite annoying. I never wanted to go the prescription route, but I became very desperate. It's working, so Im happy!

I can't imagine how well fish and a bean burrito taste together...

Why don't you try adding more foods with potassium in addition to your veggies, instead of eliminating very healthy foods? Make a green smoothie and throw in fruits that have potassium - like bananas?

If you never wanted to go the prescription route, then you shouldn't have. Any prescription medication that calls for a cut back or elimination of very healthy foods doesn't really seem logical to me. That, and it's certainly not targeting the root cause. Once you stop taking the stuff, your skin is likely to return to normal. A permanent dietary change can hopefully clear you up without the meds and will be targeting the root of your problem as well as improving your overall health.

Desperate times don't always call for desperate measures. They call for patience and perseverance.

Spiro is actually a potassium sparing diuretic (and an androgen blocker, which is why it works so well for me). Because of that, I can't eat foods that are high in Potassium. I can still eat healthy, and I do because I know when I come off the medicine a clean diet will keep me clear. I also plan to keep taking colostrum at the normal dose because I believe it has great health benefits.

PS: Fish and bean burritos are good. It's like fish tacos with a whole wheat tortilla :)

Edited by amyelizabeth94

Spiro is actually a potassium sparing diuretic, so I can't eat foods that are high in Potassium. I can still eating healthy, and do because I know when I come off the medicine a clean diet will keep me clear.

PS: Fish and bean burritos are good. It's like fish tacos with a whole wheat tortilla :)

Ooooh I read that totally wrong. But if you know a clean diet will help keep you clear, why are you bothering with Spiro? Especially considering it's still technically making you cut out healthy foods?

I can't say I'd ever want a fish taco or with beans - assuming we're talking refried. I like my fish baked or grilled with a side of veggies.

to be honest. Last pic looks worse as the first. Only skin tone may be better... I hope it will become better.

Actually black beans, lime, cilantro, onions, and fish. It's really yummy!

It sounds pretty good until the fish part! Ha. I, for some reason, really just don't like fish flavored or fishy things unless it's fish by itself. Not sure why...but I hate it combined with too many other flavors.

Has there been a single person who successfully improved their skin by taking colostrum?

I don't think it's a cure-all, but combined with diet and not in the mega doses people are taking (for whatever reason) it can be helpful.

A single person in a 50+ page thread, and reading through it I see more people mentioning developing jawline acne than not, so it would be more accurate to say that the biggest thing that colostrum has done is give a few people more acne.

A single person in a 50+ page thread, and reading through it I see more people mentioning developing jawline acne than not, so it would be more accurate to say that the biggest thing that colostrum has done is give a few people more acne.

I simply answered the question. A single person HAS cleared their acne with it despite several others increasing their acne. Nothing I stated was inaccurate.

You also have to realize that a lot of people in that thread are taking MEGA doses of the stuff. They're also eating unsatisfactory diets. Why they seem to think some powder can cure their acne without any other efforts is beyond me.

That aside, I think it has the potential to help some people if combined with the appropriate diet and not taken in crazy high doses. I don't think it'll do much good for a lot of people otherwise. It's more supplemental than necessary.

I simply answered the question. A single person HAS cleared their acne with it despite several others increasing their acne. Nothing I stated was inaccurate.

You also have to realize that a lot of people in that thread are taking MEGA doses of the stuff. They're also eating unsatisfactory diets. Why they seem to think some powder can cure their acne without any other efforts is beyond me.

That aside, I think it has the potential to help some people if combined with the appropriate diet and not taken in crazy high doses. I don't think it'll do much good for a lot of people otherwise. It's more supplemental than necessary.

But we don't really KNOW the improvement was BECAUSE of the colostrum do we?

Until you give colostrum a good try for at least a month, you don't know what it will do for you. I am have been taking it for maybe 2 weeks now, and I feel and see improvement with not just my acne, but also my whole body's health. If colostrum only has a negative impact on someone, look into some other things like possibly a colon cleanse, and maybe try the colostrum again at a later time.

But we don't really KNOW the improvement was BECAUSE of the colostrum do we?

What we do know is that these people, including myself, take the colostrum in conjunction with better diets and such. Like I already said, in the few times I've eaten crap in the past two months, the time in which I was taking colostrum, I had no breakouts from it. When I wasn't taking it, my skin developed a few spots. I've also noticed my skin healing a little faster.

I think it's a fair supplement. I'll say this again - Colostrum is supplemental. Taking it alone without other aids, like diet, probably isn't going to yield much.

Think of it like this: Body builders tend to chug protein shakes or take crazy vitamins. Without these aids, they'd still bulk up, they just might not bulk up as much or as quickly because WITH these things, their bodies are supplied with that extra boost of protein to help repair their muscles more quickly.

I think the reason I broke out was from the increased IGF-1 in colostrum. I already have high androgens, so adding more IGF-1 to my diet is what broke me out.

Before deciding to take colostrum, I would encourage anyone to look into the acne, IGF-1 and androgen relastionship. After reading more about this, I decided to stop taking colostrum.

Also, for the record, my diet was very clean while I was on colostrum.

Hey Amy,

Have you considered going an allergen free diet? Gluten, dairy, nut, soy free? Yeah it sounds like a lot and sucks at first, but you eat pretty clean at the moment, it should definitely help reduce inflammation.

Also you mentioned you didn't really start breaking out til August of last year... did you have an increase in stress in your life during that time or around that time?

Also another thing that really works for many people is getting on a good digestive enzyme with each meal along with drinking Apple Cider Vinegar. Both of these promote healthy digestion and increase HCL in the digestive tract which reduces inflammation.

Since you mentioned you have high levels of DHEA, have you thought about going on Evening Primrose Oil or Borage Oil? Both are great at hormone balancing and have helped many women get clear simply by adding them into their routine.

PANIC

I think the reason I broke out was from the increased IGF-1 in colostrum. I already have high androgens, so adding more IGF-1 to my diet is what broke me out.

Before deciding to take colostrum, I would encourage anyone to look into the acne, IGF-1 and androgen relastionship. After reading more about this, I decided to stop taking colostrum.

Also, for the record, my diet was very clean while I was on colostrum.

...Which is a fair assessment.

Not everything is meant for everybody when it comes to supplements. Some will have positive results, others will have negative.