Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Firstly I must point out that I am aware of the more important things in life, the serious illnesses and problems that docs must see everyday. Acne compared to Cancer is like a windy day compared to a tornado; I know!

But still anyone who read my medical history can surely see how much acne is affecting my life and still I get " I know young girls like you want to have a perfect skin" I don't want perfect skin I just want to be able to get on with my life, to leave the house without make up, to not have my skin on my mind twenty four seven.

I have just seen my GP and after begging (which included crying) she is writing a letter to a derm so I can be put on the waiting list. She made it very clear that she thinks I shouldn't see one and that I probally wont get anything out of it.

I cried all the way home out of frustration, she also prescribed me some more BP which I don't want, I hate the stuff. My skin is not oily its sensitive and easily dehydrated and my mum hates when I use it as it bleaches everything.

I have a history of depression which will probably stop me from being prescribed accutane however I am only depressed because of my skin - viscious circle.

I go out of my way to make life easier for them, I took pictures of my skin, took research on Spironolactone which she didn't even want to see. I feel like I'm just leaving my skin in the hands of people who couldn't care less, who don't even want to try. I thought she would at least do something due to the psychological effect acne is having on me, I am a desperate woman. I seem to always come out of the docs feeling like a little girl and even more hopeless than when I went in.

Sorry rant over, please can I hear some hate stories about your docs?

x

I know exactly what you mean. Doctors, don't realize the psychological impact that acne has. I'm 24 and only got acne this year. Before that I had two major surgeries. Those were hard but for some reason acne is affecting me far more than those two things, even though medically those were worse. However, acne makes me depressed and sad. Nothing has affected me as much as acne. Nothing. What's worse is I've always dated a lot and now I found this girl that is perfect, I mean I couldn't ask for anything better, and I just want to avoid here because of the acne.

So I go to my doctor and she prescribes me antibiotics which didn't really work but I didn't take them very long. I beg her to see the dermatologist and she refers me. Then I have to wait 3 months to see him. So I called everyday until some one canceled. But once I get to him, he is a fucking dick and I mean dick. I told him that I wanted accutane because acne is affecting my school work. He said, "why, it will just clear up then come back". So I asked him why, and responded with a "just because". Thanks asshole. He told me to come back in a month and so I did and I pretty much begged him to put me on it because I'll only have insurance for 5 for months and I'm going abroad next year. And every time I ask him a question he is so condescending. Everything he told me was bullshit (probably to detour me from going on accutane), because I researched it on google scholar. I wish he would help me instead going against me.

Oh and I know what you mean about acne being a viscous cycle and it constantly being on your mind.

Man that was a rant.

Oh and there is a study where psychologists compared the psychological impact of acne compared to cancer patients and the found that people with acne felt more shame and were more self conscious......

How bad is your acne? because it sounds like your GP doesn't even think you have any. With my GP, it took 3 different separate prescription which didn't work before they referred me to a derm.

My derm managed to prescript me 3 things to use together which worked right away which was great. No doubt seeing a derm is much better but only if your GP have prescribed you medication that have not had any improvement and is noticeable.

However, if your GP doesn't care, maybe you should change your GP if you can.

Edited by tt2k

I know exactly what you mean. Doctors, don't realize the psychological impact that acne has. I'm 24 and only got acne this year. Before that I had two major surgeries. Those were hard but for some reason acne is affecting me far more than those two things, even though medically those were worse. However, acne makes me depressed and sad. Nothing has affected me as much as acne. Nothing. What's worse is I've always dated a lot and now I found this girl that is perfect, I mean I couldn't ask for anything better, and I just want to avoid here because of the acne.

So I go to my doctor and she prescribes me antibiotics which didn't really work but I didn't take them very long. I beg her to see the dermatologist and she refers me. Then I have to wait 3 months to see him. So I called everyday until some one canceled. But once I get to him, he is a fucking dick and I mean dick. I told him that I wanted accutane because acne is affecting my school work. He said, "why, it will just clear up then come back". So I asked him why, and responded with a "just because". Thanks asshole. He told me to come back in a month and so I did and I pretty much begged him to put me on it because I'll only have insurance for 5 for months and I'm going abroad next year. And every time I ask him a question he is so condescending. Everything he told me was bullshit (probably to detour me from going on accutane), because I researched it on google scholar. I wish he would help me instead going against me.

Oh and I know what you mean about acne being a viscous cycle and it constantly being on your mind.

Man that was a rant.

Thank you for your post it was comforting to know I'm not the only one feeling like this I really hope the derm isn't a complete wanker. What treatment are you on now? My doc said I will have to wait at least 2 weeks untill I get an appointment which I was pleasantly suprised about as I have heard people waiting for up to 6 months. x

How bad is your acne? because it sounds like your GP doesn't even think you have any. With my GP, it took 3 different separate prescription which didn't work before they referred me to a derm.

My derm managed to prescript me 3 things to use together which worked right away which was great. No doubt seeing a derm is much better but only if your GP have prescribed you medication that have not had any improvement and is noticeable.

My acne is moderate, but I have had it 6 years with persistent red marks and I am now starting to scar. I have been on 3 antibiotics, many topicals including BP and Zineryt, 3 birth control pills (on the 3rd now) I have also tried other things like diet change, herbal teas and some naughty dumb things like sunbeds, toothpaste etc and finally I must of spent a small fortune on OTC products.

I hope I have as much luck with my derm as you did x

I'm on accutane and am on my second month. You just have to be really persistent.

Good luck to you, I know how difficult it can be. If you have any questions, please let me know.

The only thing I dont really like about my derm is that whenver I see him he always says "you look better" when in reality I don't, I look the same. I dont even know how he can remember what i looked like 6 weeks ago, I cant even remember. Don't get me wrong, I dont hate him , but I hate hearing that. Maybe he says that because I always seem to see him right AFTER a breakout. He is willing to change medications if something isnt working and he has even suggested that Accutane could be an option for me. But him always telling me I look good is a little pet peeve of mine.

Just dont lie to me and try to sugarcoat it. If my skin doesnt look good I wish he would just tell me.

My acne is moderate, but I have had it 6 years with persistent red marks and I am now starting to scar. I have been on 3 antibiotics, many topicals including BP and Zineryt, 3 birth control pills (on the 3rd now) I have also tried other things like diet change, herbal teas and some naughty dumb things like sunbeds, toothpaste etc and finally I must of spent a small fortune on OTC products.

I hope I have as much luck with my derm as you did x

Good to hear that you will be getting to see your derm that early, i think my referral wait was about 5 weeks. The 3 prescribed meds that i am using at the moment is tetracycline, zineryt and differin. Guess am lucky that i found something that worked right away from my derm, hope it stays that way. It also helped that my derm was amazing and told me a lot of stuff, even gave me extra info and to come back anytime even if it was a little concern about my skin.

Good luck when you see your derm, hope it goes well.

As for crappy, pathetic doctors well I believe the doctors and dermos in Western Sydney take the cake. For some reason most of them like to prescribe cortisone cream for acne, WTF??? Its happened to me way too many times. Another one said to use Q.V products on my face even after repeating to him that Im allergic to Q.V products (They cause my face to go bright red and itchy with welts, like most products I have tried) and he replied "no one is allergic to Q.V, its recommended by us doctors" Almost every dermo/doctor I have seen has only been interested in getting me out of there pronto and not listening to what I have to say or even having a proper look at my skin. All they care about is making money, getting as many paitents in and out as quick as possible cause they more they see the more money they get.

Are all derms a-holes?? I have yet to meet one that could care even an ounce about my skin. I wonder if it's that they've never experienced acne themselves...?

I feel strange saying this but every so often, I'll catch myself wishing I had some sort of curable cancer or some other health problem rather than deal with my current acne and scarring. I honestly think I could put on a strong face and deal with a diagnosis, chemo, and all that comes with cancer rather than spending 10 years of my life trying everything under the sun to cure this terrible condition. It is literally on my mind 24/7.

UGH :wall:

Hello there,

I totally understand. Many docs ( derms included) do not understand the frustration of acne. Although it is by no means a terminal illness, but it has severe psychological impacts. Often docs blame the patient, telling the patient that they are "worried about unnecessary things". But it's not that I worry about it, it's just that people around me kept pointing out how bad my skin was. How was I supposed to act like I didn't have acne and that I could go on with my life? And their comments were truely hurting and insensitive.

What i learnt is to be really persistent in getting what you want. I told the doc exactly what was upsetting me, what I didn't like about the products and so on. Eventually I was put on accutane anyway haha.

It would be great if all derms were like Dan , having survived acne and knowing exactly what products work or don't work! :)

YEAH! it seems like most dermatologists don't know their stuff. my derm is extremely rude, i can't stand him. i'd rather deal with this on my own than let some quack fix it

Edited by hellstorm