Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
padresfan

Hormonal Acne...what to do?

My skin is generally clear, but the week before my time of the month I always breakout with whiteheads, several papules and a few pustules (that are big and painful), mainly on my forehead, around my mouth, and jaw.

I'm looking for ways to prevent and to treat these occurances.

A few things to keep in mind:

- I'm allergic to Benzoyl Peroxide.

- I have very sensitive skin (I even avoid Salicylic Acid because it makes my skin very dry and red).

- Please do not suggest birth control, as that is not an option.

- Try to make suggestions for products available Over The Counter.

Thanks in advance. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Edited by padresfan

Taking Aleve orally helps some women with pre-menstrual flare ups.

You could also try Evening Primrose Oil (capsules).

Also be aware of what you're eating around that time of the month. Sometimes PMS cravings lead to junk food which can lead to breakouts.

I'm not sure what topicals you can use since you have sensitive skin....have you tried salicylic acid?

Taking Aleve orally helps some women with pre-menstrual flare ups.

You could also try Evening Primrose Oil (capsules).

Also be aware of what you're eating around that time of the month. Sometimes PMS cravings lead to junk food which can lead to breakouts.

I'm not sure what topicals you can use since you have sensitive skin....have you tried salicylic acid?

For the Aleve: How often should I take it and how soon before my time of the month should I start taking it?

When I get a big and painful papule or pustule I do take Ibuprofen to bring down the inflammation, but that is more of a treatment and not a preventative measure.

I have tried Salicylic Acid and it leaves my skin very dry and red.

Edited by padresfan

I just read a post on here, and the actual study on line that suggested taking Aleve, or other naproxen sodium starting 10 days before your period begins. It suggests taking it twice a day, and then stop taking once your period starts. I wanted to try it this month, but my monthly visitor came before I could start taking it! Next month I'm def going to give it a shot. The people on here who have tried it all claim it works awesome. Next month I hope I'm saying the same! Here is the link to the study I read about premenstrual breakouts and naproxen sodium.

http://www.ijdvl.com/article.asp?issn=0378...;aulast=Tehrani

Don't worry, the study is very easy to read and follow and isn't all scientifically complicated! :D

P.S. Naproxen sodium has also been shown to reduce the amount of menstrual bleeding along with other side effects such as cramping, when taken twice a day for 7-10 days before period begins.

Edited by JillyKins9

Wow, you have pretty sensitive skin!!

A couple ways that could allow you to use salicylic acid: Maybe mix salicylic acid with some moisturizer, and apply as a spot treatment. If that is still too drying, maybe apply the mixture and leave it on for a few hours and then wash it off, instead of wearing it all night. Sometimes I also mix BP or SA with a little Neosporin to use as a spot treatment. You don't want to do this on your whole face, because the petroleum jelly in Neosporin can clog healthy pores...but for a pore that's already clogged, neosporin can really help keep the area moisturized, and it contains anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial agents that will really aid in healing. Adding a little SA to the mixture will help give it that extra punch. I've always had good results when I add a little neosporin as a spot treatment.

I just read a post on here, and the actual study on line that suggested taking Aleve, or other naproxen sodium starting 10 days before your period begins. It suggests taking it twice a day, and then stop taking once your period starts. I wanted to try it this month, but my monthly visitor came before I could start taking it! Next month I'm def going to give it a shot. The people on here who have tried it all claim it works awesome. Next month I hope I'm saying the same! Here is the link to the study I read about premenstrual breakouts and naproxen sodium.

Don't worry, the study is very easy to read and follow and isn't all scientifically complicated! :D

P.S. Naproxen sodium has also been shown to reduce the amount of menstrual bleeding along with other side effects such as cramping, when taken twice a day for 7-10 days before period begins.

Thanks so much for the link! I'll definitely try doing that next month. I've always taken NSAIDs to help with menstral cramps and sometimes after I get a big pimple, but that's after the fact. So I will definitely try taking Aleve before because I'm always looking for preventative measures.

Do you think Ibuprofen would work or does it have to be Aleve? I know they are diffent medicines, but they are both NSAIDs.

Thanks again!

PS: Let me know if you try it out and how it went for you. I'll get back to you with how it went for me if you want.

Edited by padresfan

Thanks so much for the link! I'll definitely try doing that next month. I've always taken NSAIDs to help with menstral cramps and sometimes after I get a big pimple, but that's after the fact. So I will definitely try taking Aleve before because I'm always looking for preventative measures.

Do you think Ibuprofen would work or does it have to be Aleve? I know they are diffent medicines, but they are both NSAIDs.

Thanks again!

PS: Let me know if you try it out and how it went for you. I'll get back to you with how it went for me if you want.

No, it doesn't have to be Aleve, that is just what the study used. You can use any anti-inflammatory that is naproxen sodium, and I believe Ibuprofen is one so that should work the same. I'd just check to see how many mg are in the pill you are going to be using compared to the Aleve, that way you will know if you are getting a strong enough dosage.

I will def let you know next month how it works out. I'm exited to try it! I'm hoping this month is the last premenstrual breakout I will ever have! Keeping my fingers crossed! :pray: Let me know if it works for you! :)