Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Datura

Online dating with acne and/or scars

So, I broke up with someone about close to six months ago and I am looking to start meeting some new people. I'm considering putting up a profile on a dating site. Now, we all know that photos don't always show our skin at it's worst. I don't want to be downright deceptive, but I still don't want people to click to the next profile just because I don't have great skin. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with this and how they've dealt with it. Has anyone here met someone online and had that person act less than favorably when they met them in person?

Well, in nine cases out of ten the person you're meeting has something that they feel horribly self-conscious about as well and are just frenzied with worry. You may run into someone who judges you poorly for having bad skin, but ya know, that's true wherever you go.

I've never used a dating website, but I've met a few girls off the internet that I've become 'romantically involved' with. Chances are they probably won't care too much about you having acne.

Edited by mx123

A few years ago when I was still doing the computer dating thing, I got tired of Craigslist ads that were just itemized checklists from women who seemed to think they could order the perfect, tailored man over the internet. So I drafted a reply (which was perhaps a bit too angry in its tone...) stating quite straight-forwardly that I was NOT their ideal, perfect, made to order man.

I made a specific point of noting: "Yes ladies, I have bad skin, and while I'm not terribly happy about it myself all I ask is that you consider whatever it is about your own appearance that makes you the most insecure and consider how you would like a man to react to it, and then simply extend me the same courtesy."

Dating sites are a waste of time, unless of course you enjoy being tantalized by the most pretentious, high maintenance women the world has to offer. Just make sure you have a Phd., or two.

I made a specific point of noting: "Yes ladies, I have bad skin, and while I'm not terribly happy about it myself all I ask is that you consider whatever it is about your own appearance that makes you the most insecure and consider how you would like a man to react to it, and then simply extend me the same courtesy."

That's not a bad idea, I guess. I mean, that way there's no surprises. Although, I have a feeling that straightforward approach works better for men...lol.

Ha, so I met this guy about a year ago who I'm still kinda with off OKC. We met and he was like wow, you look so much better in real life than your pics. Ha, my pics did not show my acne, real life obviously did. :) I guess I'm just not photogenic cuz he says all my pics arent very good :eh: But hey, at least they hide my acne.

I signed up on some dating site some months ago (still use it from time to time). I too of course don't put up pictures that show my acne, and I DO feel like I'm being misleading. People will say "hey cutie" etc etc and I'll just ignore it because I know they don't know what I really look like. So for me it's a waste of time, even if I did find someone online that I liked I would never want to actually meet them unless my skin is having a rare good day.

I'v had a few dates/meets/etc with girls I met on facebook, sometimes you "click" and sometimes there just isn't any chemistry there.

I don't think I'v ever been denied purely because I have acne, but there have been times where I wasnt as confident/feeling myself because of a really bad breakout and probably missed out because of it.

Edited by RonnieC
A few years ago when I was still doing the computer dating thing, I got tired of Craigslist ads that were just itemized checklists from women who seemed to think they could order the perfect, tailored man over the internet. So I drafted a reply (which was perhaps a bit too angry in its tone...) stating quite straight-forwardly that I was NOT their ideal, perfect, made to order man.

After reading your reply I had to giggle to myself because that seems like something I would say. Also, I absolutely loved your response. : - D It made my day.

And did that actually work? I'm curious, because maybe I should put that in a profile on one of those sites.

As for the topic at hand, I've thought about registering on a free site like okcupid, since I've been really super lonely lately, but I'm too scared that people will either ignore me or be mean to me and call me ugly. I've seen how rude people online can be, and it's frightening. Also, I've heard that people on dating sites in general lack social skills. Though I suppose I do, too, so maybe I would fit right in.