Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iceopal

Should I ask doctor for antibiotics?

I recently had a bad ear infection, so the doc gave me a fairly high dose of amoxicillin for it. Well it worked for the ear infection and I noticed while on it my skin was rapidly clearing up to the point of almost having no acne at all (which is amazing because only a a month ago my skin was terrible). It made me so deleriously happy!! Well I stopped the amox pills 5 days ago and my skin is breaking out again :(! I know your not supposed to be on antibiotics for an extended period of time but it worked for me and NOTHING does!! Ive been so frusterated the past couple months with different treatments that were making my skin worse. Should I ask my doctor to give me some kind of antibiotics for my acne and which one works the best? Thanks~

I know many people here on acne.org are against antibiotics but I've been on doxycycline for three weeks now and my skin looks better everyday! However, my doctor told me to stop taking it for a few days every once in a while so that the antibiotics don't become ineffective as my body could grow resistant to it. I do recommend antibiotics, but research a bit, see what other people have to say, and ask your doctor about how long you should stay on them. By the way, I went to my doctor, not a derm, which can be more expensive depending on your insurance. So I recommend going to your doctor first before seeking out a dermatologist.