Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doy5

Whole Grain Brown Rice?

Well cutting out gluten = cutting out a lot of my major carb sources, but since I've read rice is a good solution I bought some. I was skeptical at first because I had read how whole grains and wheats are generally bad. However, I think Im going to make some tonight and when I was reading the box it said it was gluten free, which I'm avoiding along with dairy, so I should be good(genereally speaking right?).

I was also wondering why people genereally avoid grains, is it solely because of the gluten content in it that makes us breakout, or is it gluten and other things?

Thanks in advance

no thats all wrong, grains a very good, unless you have celiac disease.

Grains are very special to the human diet, the fibers in them have "magical" powers.

they absorb toxins keep your body clean. They have used brown rice fiber to eliminate pcb's from people. All grains have similar attributes many of them yet unknown.

Well I knew they weren't bad but people on this sight are always avoiding grains/wheats? I was wonder why, and if it was because of the gluten content?

Eating brown rice now sprinkled with pepper and herbs as we speak.

I was paranoid too cause everyone sayin no grains at all.. man that's some BS cause I had no energy

Brown rice, basmati rice, jasmine rice, quinoa, etc. are straight.. just keep your portions small cause supposedly too much will spike your blood sugar level.

Edited by recoverme

jasmine rice is not good, no vitamins and no fiber, brown rice is a very good choice.

Eating brown rice now sprinkled with pepper and herbs as we speak.

I was paranoid too cause everyone sayin no grains at all.. man that's some BS cause I had no energy

Brown rice, basmati rice, jasmine rice, quinoa, etc. are straight.. just keep your portions small cause supposedly too much will spike your blood sugar level.

On the paleo diet I don't eat any grains and I have plenty of energy. I don't think grains are necessary. I'd rather replace them with meat fruits and vegetables in my diet.

AutonomousOne,

What are your thoughts on the effect of phytic acid in whole grains? Since there's a connection between zinc and acne, and since phytic acid can prevent absorption of zinc (as well as other minerals), shouldn't whole grains be examined in terms of their ability to contribute to a zinc deficiency?

well of course i am no expert on phytic acid and i do not even know the strengh of the claim that it inhibits the absorption of zinc, and by precisely how much.Or that zinc and acne are really that connected. I get the impression the negative influence on zinc absorption is only a concern for people diets that are only strictly grains, and nothing else. Other wise there are some serious benefits to phytic acid also known as ip-6.

Here is a book you should read, the author is Professor of pathology at the university of maryland school of medicine in baltimore. He has studtied the anti cancer effects of ip-6(phytic acid) for 25 years via grants from the National cancer institute, the american cancer society, and the american institue of cancer research. Its a small book but goes over all the specifics of his studies where this substance can be administered to prevent and shrink many forms of cancerous tumors with no toxicity. this book is old, and his research seems to be ready for human trials, why it hasnt happened yet im not sure, but maybe it is i dont know.

ITs kind of odd you bring it up because my uncle was just fried by chemo and radiation and it was hard to tell what killed him, the cancer or the treatments. he had been walking around just fine for perhaps five years with this cancer, then in a matter of months it was a quick decline as he went under "treatment". It made no sense to give radiation that stopped you from eating or digesting food, and somehow this was going to make him better?? seems retarded if you ask me. illogical. disrespecting the entire stability of the organism to gain control over the cancer cells.

http://www.amazon.com/IP6-Natures-Revoluti...6416&sr=1-1

just searched and found this, it was written by the dude that wrote that book.

Nutr Cancer. 2006;55(2):109-25.

Protection against cancer by dietary IP6 and inositol.

Vucenik I, Shamsuddin AM.

Department of Pathology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, MD 21201, USA. [email protected]

Inositol hexaphosphate (IP(6)) is a naturally occurring polyphosphorylated carbohydrate, abundantly present in many plant sources and in certain high-fiber diets, such as cereals and legumes. In addition to being found in plants, IP(6) is contained in almost all mammalian cells, although in much smaller amounts, where it is important in regulating vital cellular functions such as signal transduction, cell proliferation, and differentiation. For a long time IP(6) has been recognized as a natural antioxidant. Recently IP(6) has received much attention for its role in cancer prevention and control of experimental tumor growth, progression, and metastasis. In addition, IP(6) possesses other significant benefits for human health, such as the ability to enhance immune system, prevent pathological calcification and kidney stone formation, lower elevated serum cholesterol, and reduce pathological platelet activity. In this review we show the efficacy and discuss some of the molecular mechanisms that govern the action of this dietary agent. Exogenously administered IP(6) is rapidly taken up into cells and dephosphorylated to lower inositol phosphates, which further affect signal transduction pathways resulting in cell cycle arrest. A striking anticancer action of IP(6) was demonstrated in different experimental models. In addition to reducing cell proliferation, IP(6) also induces differentiation of malignant cells. Enhanced immunity and antioxidant properties also contribute to tumor cell destruction. Preliminary studies in humans show that IP(6) and inositol, the precursor molecule of IP(6), appear to enhance the anticancer effect of conventional chemotherapy, control cancer metastases, and improve quality of life. Because it is abundantly present in regular diet, efficiently absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, and safe, IP(6) + inositol holds great promise in our strategies for cancer prevention and therapy. There is clearly enough evidence to justify the initiation of full-scale clinical trials in humans.

PMID: 17044765 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

AutonomousOne,

What are your thoughts on the effect of phytic acid in whole grains? Since there's a connection between zinc and acne, and since phytic acid can prevent absorption of zinc (as well as other minerals), shouldn't whole grains be examined in terms of their ability to contribute to a zinc deficiency?

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

Thanks for the link to the book, I will definitely have to check that out.

As far as the question of phytic acid inhibiting zinc, here's one article that discusses it (scroll to the end). Now, I assume that the benefits of ingesting lots of phytic acid far outweigh the costs of less zinc absorption in the average, non-acne-afflicted American adult, who's meat-based diet provide plenty of zinc. The issue I'm raising is how phytic acid's ability to bind with zinc affects individuals with acne, who often report improvement when taking zinc or, according to Databased's theory, see improvement when promoting melatonin's ability to use zinc to make ZSOD.

Yet, those of us with acne certainly want the cancer-fighting benefits of phytic acid, too. So phytic acid is a paradox, perhaps: both good and bad.

I think this issue of phytic acid is an example of the way I have been thinking about health: there aren't not necessarily "bad" foods and "good" foods". You have to look at the context or maybe a balance. Therefore, until I feel confident in exactly what phytic acid's role in acne and health is, I think I'll eat whole wheat or grains during one meal of the day, and sprouted/soaked/fermented during the other two. And will not eat foods that are high in zinc along with that whole grain meal.

"Vegetable protein sources are often mixed with cereals for complementary feeding. Both contain high levels of phytic acid, which can inhibit trace element and mineral absorption. In adults, phytic acid has been reported to inhibit the absorption of iron, zinc, calcium and manganese but not copper."

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/133/9/2973Sf

^Well, there are bad foods, or rather food like substances and real food prepared in ways that make them very high GI and void of nutritional value. But plant foods do seem to usually contain whatever is needed to counter any negatives provided we don't destroy them.

And why people avoid or limit grains:

1) some people are intolerant, lack ability to digest. Especially wheat and gluten containing grains. Rice is one of the easiest to digest and gluten free.

2) The phytates, which are anti-nutrients that bind to metals like zinc, but also have their value. Soaking, sprouting and fermenting and cooking reduce the phytate content. But if the food has been heated someway like roasted or toasted, then it won't contain any enzymes to break down the phytates and you need to ferment or add something that does contain the enzymes.

3) Lectins, much more damaging anti-nutrients which may play a direct role in acne. In all foods, but especially seeds which means grains. Worst sources are wheat/gluten, soy, peanuts, kidney bean family and dairy from grain-fed animals. Note those foods are also the most common cause of allergy and food intolerance. Soaking, fermentin, sprouting and cooking also reduce lectin content. And there are glyconutrients that bind them up, so eating/preparing in combination with certain foods that contain them can reduce damage.

There's a lot on this in the ZAG enzyme thread which turned into a discussion on properly preparing or combining foods.

Edited by alternativista

Thanks for the link to the book, I will definitely have to check that out.

As far as the question of phytic acid inhibiting zinc, here's one article that discusses it (scroll to the end). Now, I assume that the benefits of ingesting lots of phytic acid far outweigh the costs of less zinc absorption in the average, non-acne-afflicted American adult, who's meat-based diet provide plenty of zinc. The issue I'm raising is how phytic acid's ability to bind with zinc affects individuals with acne, who often report improvement when taking zinc or, according to Databased's theory, see improvement when promoting melatonin's ability to use zinc to make ZSOD.

Yet, those of us with acne certainly want the cancer-fighting benefits of phytic acid, too. So phytic acid is a paradox, perhaps: both good and bad.

I think this issue of phytic acid is an example of the way I have been thinking about health: there aren't not necessarily "bad" foods and "good" foods". You have to look at the context or maybe a balance. Therefore, until I feel confident in exactly what phytic acid's role in acne and health is, I think I'll eat whole wheat or grains during one meal of the day, and sprouted/soaked/fermented during the other two. And will not eat foods that are high in zinc along with that whole grain meal.

"Vegetable protein sources are often mixed with cereals for complementary feeding. Both contain high levels of phytic acid, which can inhibit trace element and mineral absorption. In adults, phytic acid has been reported to inhibit the absorption of iron, zinc, calcium and manganese but not copper."

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/133/9/2973Sf

this is kind of a strage twist on the sunject, but what if the rda is wrong, and when we think there is a deficiency, really there is not. I guess im going to question all the initial premises of the argument, before any conclusions of phytic acid doing harm, but maybe it still is a concern, i nothing against zinc of course!! Zinc can be toxic in high doses, im still not sure that its interference is a bad thing.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980