Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
.JacktheLad.

convinced its not acne.

Basically I am convinced I do not have acne any more. nope!

Not one black head or white head on my forehead just I get pustules and inflamed hair follicles where my beard facial hair grows.

this has now 100% convinced me i am dealing with folliculitus not acne.

can anyone advise?

I am calling the GP tomorrow and going to get him to do a swab test. I think this could be the end of my pimples and problems.

I am so happy to think I may be part way there to cracking it properly.

I asked him about it last time and he said if it was then why would I have white heads on my forehead. fair point. but everyone gets them there some days. I probably over indulged with alcohol or something.

point is I think its not acne and need input and help from anyone who was diagnosed with folliculitus and not acne.

If it is PF do I take a pill or can it be tackled by topical formulas?

My neck has never been under this much pain. It is really deep. kinda scared about it tbh

Edited by want2beme

update, seen the doc, had a swab test done.

he said its not very relaible and might not show anything.

he is willing to give me a round of anti biotics and claims this is the only thing that would clear it up if it is a case of folliculitus.

so now im having to wait a week, whilst living with this pain around my neck and its only going to spread. its clearly not acne. i know the difference.

can anyone help me

:(

hopefully he will call me back this after noon and i can ask if taking some anti biotics for it now would be a best route of action. i dont want this to spread. its already painful enough

dont want to speak to soon but its looking like it is folliculitus! doc is going to put me on anti biotics for folliculitus and said it can take up to 6 weeks.

so cream or tablets? what have others done? any input would be good

Edited by want2beme

If the folliculitis is bacterial the antibiotics should help. If its fungal folliculitis, then it probably won't do anything.

If the folliculitis is bacterial the antibiotics should help. If its fungal folliculitis, then it probably won't do anything.

thanks willow. well the swab showed nothing..

so i dont know to take them or not. is there not something topically that is less "dodgy" than taking tablets?

thanks willow. well the swab showed nothing..

so i dont know to take them or not. is there not something topically that is less "dodgy" than taking tablets?

I'd give them a try. How long does the doctor want you to take the medication? I don't know as much about treating bacterial folliculitis, so not sure what other options would be available for you to try. Maybe see if the antibiotics help, and start a preventative maintenance routine at the same time? Mandelic acid might be a good topical to try - its both antibacterial and antifungal, so it should help.

i have foliculitis on my scalp, there are some stairoid creams called fucibet which helped me at first but i wish that maybe i was more persistent with it because it came back and after trying it again it didnt have the same effect

hi, the doctor wants me to take 250mg erythromycin for two weeks. 1 four times a day thats like 1000mg of this shit!!! wtf

just read the instructions and it said you may experience a loss of hearing which would only be temporary! plus a load of other things...

hmm

:(

yeah im using mandelic acid cleanser and toner. seems to have been the most help since this whole ordeal.

but its like I cannot stop those plugged hair follicles (inflamed ones) that look like a white head or pustule.

i shaved the tops of my groin area dont ask why lol and the next day hundreds of iflamed red bumps and then ingrown hairs to follow ! :( was so painful. ive been plucking out the hairs since. because apparently your body sees them as an intruder and makes the area red ad sore. so getting the hair out will bring relief

really worried about taking them. i guess its ok if just for 2 weeks. however... in 3 weeks i go away for 11 days to see some good old mates. so drinking will be involved and if im going to take these tablets i don't want that to interfere, id rather take them properly and not drink

so maybe wait until im back?

BW, ive heard using topicals is likely to cause an anti biotic resistance so should only be used for short amounts of time. this could explain why you experienced it becoming less effective?

also when you went to see your doc did they swab test you and find out what type you had?

cause mine showed nothing :(

advice?

Edited by want2beme

that is my groin. basically i shaved it (dumb i know) agaisnt the grain (again dumb) sorry for bad phone pic, as you can see small red bumps. similar happens when i clean shave my face, hence why i avoid it

and then next few hours got that folliculitus all over the area. over the next few days it became very itchy and red, some containing pus, some with ingrown hairs.

im guessing this is a fungal not bacterial symptoms such as the Pityrosporum folliculitis?

some of those red marks are where i dug out the ingrown hairs by piercing the skin with sharp tweezers. lots of blood :S

now im applying mandelic acid on the area and it has calmed down. was SO ITCHY before

any help or input would be good. need some guidence with this.

i dont feel taking an anti biotic to fight bacteria is going to do me any favours

Edited by want2beme

From what it sounds like you have a regular case of razor bumps from the shaving. I have sensitive skin and I've had the exact same thing. Usually goes away in about 2 weeks on its own, sometimes a little longer. When I had it I just put some anti-itch cream on and left it alone till it went away. Ask your doctor if it could be this, since you might be taking those antibiotics for something you don't have.

www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-razor-bumps.htm:

"Some people call them shaving pimples because an infected razor bump can look a lot like a bad case of acne, especially if you have a cluster of razor bumps in the same area. Razor bumps are most often caused by a freshly shaven hair that has been cut at an angle, thus rendering it more “sharp,†that curls back against the skin, penetrating the skin and causing the body react by treating it like an infection causing painful swelling and the tell-tale red bumps physicians call pseudofolliculitis barbae."

From what it sounds like you have a regular case of razor bumps from the shaving. I have sensitive skin and I've had the exact same thing. Usually goes away in about 2 weeks on its own, sometimes a little longer. When I had it I just put some anti-itch cream on and left it alone till it went away. Ask your doctor if it could be this, since you might be taking those antibiotics for something you don't have.

www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-razor-bumps.htm:

"Some people call them shaving pimples because an infected razor bump can look a lot like a bad case of acne, especially if you have a cluster of razor bumps in the same area. Razor bumps are most often caused by a freshly shaven hair that has been cut at an angle, thus rendering it more “sharp,” that curls back against the skin, penetrating the skin and causing the body react by treating it like an infection causing painful swelling and the tell-tale red bumps physicians call pseudofolliculitis barbae."

hey KB888 thanks for the input

i would agree at this point that the irritation certainly did not help and made pseudofolliculitis barbae.. however im %60 sure that i have fungal folliculitus. the Pityrosporum folliculitis type.

symptoms are what are described here > http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_dise...orum_folli.html

It is especially common in the cape distribution (upper chest, upper back) and the pimples are pinhead sized and uniform.

Oral antibiotics can aggravate pityrosporum folliculitis because skin-inhabitant bacteria and yeasts are normally in competition on the skin surface. When antibiotics suppress the bacteria the pityrosporum yeasts can over grow.

this is what happend to me, i was on doxy for way to long and wasnt monitored.

Topical therapy is not always effective, and may be worth a try. These include Nizoral or Selsun shampoos, applied for about 10 minutes and washed off in the shower. This is repeated once a week. Other topical treatments include 50% propylene glycol in water applied twice daily with a gauze pad for 3 weeks, then twice a week or Lamisil solution, sprayed on the skin surface, for 14 days then weekly or for just a few spots apply Loprox or Nizoral cream twice a day.

Oral treatments are the most effective. The two used are Nizoral and Sporonox. One will need to wait a week or two for clearing, and recurrences are to be expected. A last resort is Accutane pills. These are general guidelines and a dermatologist can help decide the best treatment.

from everything ive read, i think i will give the 50% propylene glycol in water applied twice daily

a shot.

your right, swallowing anti biotics at this stage is silly. so going to take it step at a time

Edited by want2beme

bump- pardon the pun

erm has anyone had any luck/experience with FUCIDIN cream before? for fungal follicultius, or bacterial foliculitus