Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hesitation

Soups and stomach acid problems

As most of you may know, drinking with meals is bad to the digestive system and will weaken the stomach acid resulting in the food not being digested fully.

I am wondering about soups and smoothies. Does the same apply to them? That's the reason I have avoided eating soups for a while.

Edited by hesitation

Drinking only dilutes stomach acid if you have a lot of cold water.

Warm drinks usually don't have the same issues - at least not that I know of.

Soups are typically eaten hot and have nutrients and components that need digested, so you're stomach will still produce the enzymes to digest them properly.

Smoothies are not pure liquid. You're still going to need to digest the fiber and nutrients found in the smoothie and like soups, the body will produce the appropriate enzymes to do so. Actually, drinking smoothies is good because the food is sort of pre digested for you, making it easier for your body to process the nutrients.

So go ahead and eat your soup and slurp your smoothies. It won't affect your stomach acid.

All this time I've been forcing my supplements down with food and saliva thinking drinking water would mess things up... Well, it's good to hear that warm water doesn't dilute stomach acid. Can't wait until I can start making chicken soups again. :)

Edited by hesitation

All this time I've been forcing my supplements down with food and saliva thinking drinking water would mess things up... Well, it's good to hear that warm water doesn't dilute stomach acid. Can't wait until I can start making chicken soups again. :)

Definitely. Make that chicken soup. It's really okay to take your supplements with water. I keep a gallon jug in my room next to a glass cup. It's room temp and I use it to take my colostrum and currently my garlic capsules (which I'm hoping will fight a *ahem* feminine infection)

If it still bugs you a little, just don't take your supplements with food unless directed to do so. Besides, having a couple of drinks at meal time really isn't going to do much damage.

I can assure you soups and stews are extremely good for your body.

I'm gonna start making them again. Another thing that I'm afraid of is the GI of some veggies. It might increase when boiled. Carrots for example.