Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I want to buy a steamer/dryer/grill etc to dehydrate my nuts and seeds. But I could also use it for other reasons. What do you think about steaming veggies and meat? Is it better than to eat them raw? Better than boiling the meat? When I eat chicken, I usually boil it, a steamer seems much better though... Opinions? It's pretty costly .

How long does it take to steam a chicken and is it any better than grilled or boiled? Boiling gets rid of the fats in chicken, on sure if steaming does too..

Steaming will destroy a lot of nutrients and enzymes. It doesn't make the veggies BAD, it'll just make them less nutrient dense.

I eat steamed veggies only at dinner time and on occasion. It's typically best to eat them raw so you get the full nutrients they have to offer.

Though certain nutrients can be released by LIGHTLY cooking or steaming - like with kale. (or so I've read)

Never steamed meat so I can't help you there.

OK, thanks for the info. I thought it was the other way around - making the nutrients in veggies more absorbable. Some veggies that I eat daily, like broccoli are supposed to be harsh to the digestive system, so I thought steaming would take care of that. But if it reduces the benefits then no thanks, I prefer them raw anyway.

OK, thanks for the info. I thought it was the other way around - making the nutrients in veggies more absorbable. Some veggies that I eat daily, like broccoli are supposed to be harsh to the digestive system, so I thought steaming would take care of that. But if it reduces the benefits then no thanks, I prefer them raw anyway.

Well, eating them lightly steamed isn't too terrible, but fully steaming them will destroy around 97% of anti-oxidants in broccoli. You can still get away with a light steaming - just make sure the veggies are still crispy.

Broccoli can be mildly difficult to digest because it has tons of fiber. Running it through a processor might make it a little easier to digest or throwing some broccoli into a green smoothie which will help pre digest it, making it easier for you to digest (i'm not sure how good this would taste!)

Still, raw is typically better