Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
calypso909

Cyst Removal Surgery- Anyone ever had it?

Hi everyone! I'm new to acne.org and am hoping someone can give me advice. I have mild to moderate acne and have never had a cyst before.

But, I have had a cyst on my forehead for about 3.5 months. I've tried every remedy that I read about on the boards- icing/neosporin, Prid drawing salve, salicylic acid, leaving it alone, hot compresses. Nothing has worked.

My regular derm said I would need to have it removed. This Friday, Feb. 26, I have an appointment with a dermatologist/surgeon for removal.

Has anyone had this procedure done? Is it painful? And honestly, how bad is the scarring?

Really appreciate your help and advice. Thanks!

I've had a cyst removed before. It doesn't hurt, just the initial numbing shots. The scarring really depends on how inflamed the cyst is. It's best to have it removed when it's not inflamed to minimize the extra skin.

The kind of scar that remains is in some degree due to the skill of the surgeon. The fact that your derm is referring you to a dermatologic surgeon is in and of itself encouraging. You may wish to find out if the person is a plastic surgeon as many dermatologic surgeons are and that is a very good thing.

Sometimes surgical excisons are the only way to get rid of cysts. I am assuming that it is a cystic acne cyst and not what is commonly referred to as a sebaceous cyst.

Joe Zit

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm not sure what kind of cyst it is. Originally my dermatologist tried to drain it, but didn't have any luck. She made a small incision and I have a tiny little scar, about 1mm.

The cut was superficial, so that may be why she wasn't successful.

If it's a sebaceous cyst...does that make a difference?

Hate these things!

I've had a cyst removed before. It doesn't hurt, just the initial numbing shots. The scarring really depends on how inflamed the cyst is. It's best to have it removed when it's not inflamed to minimize the extra skin.

How much does it cost

How much does it cost

With my insurance it was only 5 dollars for the visit, so I don't really have a good reference point for you. Sorry.