Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello Everyone-

I am a 28 year old female who has suffered with acne since I was 16. It worsened as I went away to college and by the time I was 19 it was full blown. I began seeing a derm at that point and started what would become a decade on various mediations; differin, doxycycline, minocycline, BP washes, Proactive...you name it. I distinctly remember my first derm saying that "this office does not prescribe Accutane because it has been linked to teen suicide!"

Two years later (around 04) I was clear. In 2005 I got pregnant and for that year I had the best skin of my life. In 2006, the downward spiral began. I began to get hard lumps under my skin and these lumps led to scarring....

Everyone on here knows how bad acne can be so I wont elaborate on how awful it was. If you are on this page than you are probably contemplating Accutane or have begun taking it! Accutane was the hardest decision that I have ever had to make. It took my derm two years to get me you try it. I performed extensive research and came up with more than a handful of horror stories***me freaking out***

What made it worse is that my older sister took me from concerned to paranoid...said that I was choosing vanity over the life of my three year old son (if I became suicidal I might take his life and mine). The whole thing made me crazy.

I am six days into the treatment! I have no sad feelings, I am not seeing anything that isnt there and there are no suicidal thoughts. In some ways, I believe the worse side effect of Accutane is the paranoia that happens before you begin the treatment....the worse side effect is worrying about the side effects...LOL!

I am going to continue logging my journey through Accutane because If I can help make it easier for one person to make the choice to try Accutane, I will do it gladly!

Please let me know if anyone has questions or just needs an ear....I'm here!!

I will post pictures as soon as I get around too it!!

Good Luck Everyone!!!

Hooray for getting over your fear and starting! It is a big step we have all taken here and I think we will all come out glowing. I am also a 28 year old mommy who is not far ahead of you..day 16 for me today and everything is going great in my opinion. My family tried to scare me out of it aswell but I had to do what was best for me. In my opinion..Happy Mommy=Happy kids! Good luck and I'll keep checking in on you. fell free to stop by my log anytime if you have questions or anything! :dance:

PrettySpotty-its good to hear support from someone in the same boat! Thanks!

I am amazed at the support on this site...I am sooo glad I found it!

Edited by Lightening_Queen

Congrats on taking the plunge! I really didn't tell anyone I was going to take accutane until after I got my prescription, then everyone started making me paranoid. But luckily the people on acne.org are great, and we're here to support you. Good luck on your 'tane course.

Hey fashion- You were wise to wait to tell people about starting the 'tane. The month b/w my initial consult and the first pill was the worst...people were seriously making me crazy. I feel so much better now that I am through my first week! I am sure that my skin is going to get worse before it gets better but...it will get better. Starting the 'tane is half the battle!

Congratulations on starting! I had a doctor scare me out of it when I was fifteen, but this time around, I practically went in there demanding it.

I too use Burt's Bees Chapstick!

Popped pill 8 this morning...all seems to be going well. Several of you have mentioned Derma E Scar repair....where can I find this? Maybe online? Is is similar to Mederma?

Tension in the neck and shoulders finally left.."sigh"...

Boyfriends Birthday is tommorrow and if I haven't mentioned it yet I have the BEST BOYFRIEND EVER :wub: Part of the reason that I am going through all this is so that I have a clear face when I get MARRIED!

FYI-I had a cyst under my skin by my right ear for seriously...the last two years. Must have had it injected with Cortisone 8 times in that time frame...it is now half the size :dance:

Hope you all are doing well!

Well...I have made it through my first pack of pills!!! WOOT! Took pill 11 this a.m. I am feeling great and haven't even the slightest feeling that I am going to have an IB. My lips are very slimy alot and when they are not slimy they are dry as hell.

Day 11 is when I started to see dry skin on my forhead and around my nose. My face is so less shiny and oily than it was pre 'tane though that I am more than happy with a little dry skin!!

I received the first compliment on my face today (from someone who doesn't know that I am on 'tane)! One of my co-workers was admiring my Monroe piercing and commented that my skin was looking amazing...something that NO ONE has ever said to me!!

Tonight was the first night that I have let my boyfriend (or anyone for that matter) see me without my makeup...not even concealer. I wanted him to see all the progress that I believe my face has made in the past two weeks!

Biggest news is that he is no longer my boyfriend...he is now my fiance! Popped the question yesterday, on one knee, in the snow! My ring is absolutely gorgeous and I can't seem to stop staring at it!!! I could not even focus at work today...could only seem to concentrate on the amazing ring that he chose for me! Love the ring...and the man that gave it to me! :wub:

Progress is going great and Ill continue to keep you all posted!

I love this website.. it's like one huge support system! I usually feel like no one understands the psychological affects of acne.. of course they're the ones with flawless skin :snooty:

I just started day ONE of accutane and I'm waiting eagerly for the 5 months to be over- I can barely imagine a life without acne... and I too long for the day that I don't have to wear make-up in front of my boyfriend...

I'm happy it's going well for you so far, it gives me hope for what's to come. All the best to you, I'll be checking in regularly.. and CONGRATS on your engagement :)

I love this website.. it's like one huge support system! I usually feel like no one understands the psychological affects of acne.. of course they're the ones with flawless skin :snooty:

I just started day ONE of accutane and I'm waiting eagerly for the 5 months to be over- I can barely imagine a life without acne... and I too long for the day that I don't have to wear make-up in front of my boyfriend...

I'm happy it's going well for you so far, it gives me hope for what's to come. All the best to you, I'll be checking in regularly.. and CONGRATS on your engagement :)

I too cannot wait for the day where you can go without makeup in front of your boyfriend. It is an amazing feeling. He actually was able to touch my face last night without me shuddering and turning my face away!!!

Many thanks for your congratulations! I am soooo excited about my engagement that I can barely contain myself and have no focus whatsoever! This is proving to be an inconvenience since I am finishing up grad school....sans the focus...lol!

Good luck to you. Since I am just a bit ahead of you on the 'tane course, please let me know if you have any concerns!

Day 12 has arrived ***major excitement*** It felt like an accomplishment to throw the first blister pack away and crack open the second pack yesterday! I made it through an entire blister pack :dance:

I have had so few side effects that if my face wasn't looking as good as it was I would think that the Amnesteem wasnt working! The only thing that I noticed that was weird is that I got a "cycle" two days ago. Havent had one in four months (due to the Mirena IUD...which I LOVE). Wondered if anyone else had any problems with this? It only last for like 36 hours but was still weird...LOL

Other than this, my lips are great but I have always been one of the those people who is forever driving people crazy with the excessive moisturizing of the lips :whistle:

Well, should probably go and do some homework! Given that grad school costs alot of money (and I do mean A LOT), probably should not slack so close to graduation (which happens to be in August and is yet another reason that the 'tane was so important for me too try).

Have a great day everyone!

Hugs ooooo

Good morning all-

Just popped pill numero 13!!! Feeling great, couldnt be better. Saw the first signs of dry skin on my forehead and nose last night...kinda exciting. I have read your posts and it would seem that blackheads will "pop out" which sounds completely gross but very exciting. I hope mine do the same...espcially on my nose cause I am always picking at them! :naughty:

I have yet to have a breakout. I havent even gotten another cyst. Thought I felt one by my nose but it just sorta went away on its own...WOOT! Last night, after washing my face before bed, I covered my scars in Mederma. The shit was kinda expensive but it would seem that one tube is going to last me through my 'tane journey so....money well spent. I will let you all know how well it works on my scars!!!

Have a great day everyone!

Hey!

It's great that your doing well so far! I hope you have a clear and easy journey on your accutane :D

Congrats on your engagement too! I got engaged in November and I still look down at my left hand every now and then and go WHOA LOOK AT THAT! lol it's a fun feeling. Yay to our men for being so awesome, especially when it comes to the rings :) lol you should put up pics of your ring :D skin too if your comfortable with it! lol

Goodluck! I look forward to following your log and hearing all about your road to gradutation and wedding planning! :D

Many thanks to both of you...I am soooo excited! I have it figured that if I graduate in August and plan a September 11 wedding, this will give me a full year to plan without the stress of homework!!!

Day 14 for me today...it's a milestone (a small one I know)! I have made it through two weeks, half of the first month. This means that I only have 5.5 months left. I am excited to see my derma to see what she has to say about all of my progress.

I put mederma on my face two nights ago and it seemed to dry me out, so I am gonna be really careful to only put it on the scars and not slather it all over my face... god forbid I do anything to worsen the drying :rolleyes:

Enjoy your day everyone!

Keep us updated on how the Mederma is for fading scars. I have a few red marks I'd like to be gone. My skin heals so slowly!

Day 15 is about to end...and I have a cyst :shock:

I ca'nt complain all that much because...this is the first cyst that I have gotten since starting 'tane. However, I am still sad. The pores on my nose and chin feel kinda bumpy and they never have before. I am wondering if this is what people mean when they say "the blackheads popped out" or if this is finally the beginning of my IB (and just when I thought I was in the damn clear...lol).

I have decided that anytime I have random, unexplained pain, I will refer to it as the 'TANE PAIN. This seems fitting since it is highly unlikely that any of my pain is linked to the Accutane but since I am fearful of any/all symptoms...this is a great response. My back hurt earlier....'tane pain. My eyes are sore...'tane pain. I have a headache...tain pain. This is how I am going to choose to get through it and remain sane!

Faith: I am finding that the areas that I have smeared with Mederma (majority being my cheekbone areas) are drying out at a much faster rate than the areas that are not being covered. I will continue to use it on occasion and let you know how it works for me. Take care!

Have a great evening everyone!!

BTW: next week is spring break for me...WOOT... :D . Couldnt be happier. Am planning on spending this weekend being a total bum, staying in jammies with coffee in front of the t.v. and computer all day, every day, until Monday comes and I return to work!

seriously every ache and pain gets analyzed like crazy. Headaches and dry eyes (if you never got them before accutane) are a side effect though. As for the headaches, try drinking plenty of water.

I too am getting the blackhead purge. Some days my pores seem 10x larger than usual. I took a damp cloth and kind of scrubbed my skin very gently.

Stay with it!

Fashion: Thanks! I have suffered from Migraines since I was about 15...same old headaches, I am just thinking they are worse since beginning the 'tane. I really do think that it's in my head...ahhh, the power of suggestion ;)

Meanwhile, Day 16 is coming to a close. I gotta admit, I tried the Cetaphil lotion and do believe that I hate it. It seemed to leave my face greasier and make my pores stand out more...I am going back to the Cerave (seems to be lighter).

Have the beginning of a cyst on the side of my nose... :mad: Feels like it going to be one helluva zit...you know that kind that grows large enough to rival the size of Manhatten, hurts like an SOB, turns bright red with a bit of dry skin on the top, feels like its going to burst at any minute AND NEVER DOES. Just sits in there for the next four months until you finally decide to go in and have a cortisone shot stabbed into it...all the while thinking DIE MOTHER F**KER!

Sorry for the rant everyone! Have a great evening!

Day 17 is over...my pores are definately doing something and I now have three little cysts grouped together to form one big mother on the side of my...nose :wacko:

Hate, hate, hate having cysts there. Could be worse and be by my lip...those are the worst ever! Saw my best friend for the first time in a month (she had a new baby two weeks ago, I had mid-terms and the flu....didnt want germs by the new baby...who by the way is freakin adorable :wub: ). Anyway, she commented on how great my face was looking...really made my day given that I feel as though my pores are roughly the size of dinner plates...

Lips are slimy...but not dry. Skin is flaky in places...but not dry. I am wondering if I should talk to my derm about uping my dosage from 40 to 60. What do you all think?????

Many thanks people

Day 17 is over...my pores are definately doing something and I now have three little cysts grouped together to form one big mother on the side of my...nose :wacko:

Hate, hate, hate having cysts there. Could be worse and be by my lip...those are the worst ever! Saw my best friend for the first time in a month (she had a new baby two weeks ago, I had mid-terms and the flu....didnt want germs by the new baby...who by the way is freakin adorable :wub: ). Anyway, she commented on how great my face was looking...really made my day given that I feel as though my pores are roughly the size of dinner plates...

Lips are slimy...but not dry. Skin is flaky in places...but not dry. I am wondering if I should talk to my derm about uping my dosage from 40 to 60. What do you all think?????

Many thanks people

Sounds like things are going well for you so far! Today marks day 7 for me.. woohoo one week :dance:

I didn't know that the drug makes pores bigger? Lip wise- I'm experiencing the same slimey thing but no dryness as of yet. Hopefully it stays this way- what? I can be wishful.

I'm upping to 60mg in my 2nd month.. hoping that maybe it will get this ball rolling once and for all! I've noticed that my head is REALLY itchy- makes me want to constantly wash my hair, which I know will just make my scalp more dry. Has anyone else experienced this, it's making me crazy!

Anyways, glad things are starting to look up for you! I look forward to your updates!