Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi guys. So I made a homemade 5% niacinamide gel using some 500mg capsules and a pure aloe vera gel. I liked it alot at first--for the first two weeks or so, my skin seemed to stay almost completely clear, and without any of the dryness/flakiness/irritation I had with BP. Then in the middle of week 3, I broke out almost overnight, with more pimples than I had ever had before and in areas where I had never had them. It is now week 5, and that breakout still has not really cleared up (some of the pimples have gone away, but a lot haven't). I haven't gotten many new ones since, though. I have heard of a purging process that sometimes happens with acne treatments, and I am just wondering if that is what could be going on with me? And more specifically, if anyone has experienced purging with niacinamide, how long did it last?

I am really trying to stick it out in hopes that it will work, because nothing else has! Any advice would be greatly appreciated--thanks!

I never had any purging or notable acne flares when starting niacinamide. A few thoughts/questions for you -

1. How do you know you are creating a 5% niacinamide concentration? How are you mixing it with the gel? I'm wondering if you are just using too high a concentration of the niacinamide

2. Are there any other ingredients in the niacinamide pills? Sometimes there are non-active ingredients in the pill or the coating of the pill. Maybe those are causing a problem?

3. Did you change anything else about your regimen when you started using the niacinamide, or even a few weeks before you starting using it? Did it replace another product in your regimen?

Thanks for replying Willow. To answer your questions--

I never had any purging or notable acne flares when starting niacinamide. A few thoughts/questions for you -

1. How do you know you are creating a 5% niacinamide concentration? How are you mixing it with the gel? I'm wondering if you are just using too high a concentration of the niacinamide

I used a 30gram:1oz conversion, and then multiplied the result by 0.05 (5%). I decided to start with 8oz of aloe vera just to be on the safe side, so I came up with 12 grams of niacinamide or 24 500mg pills. I mixed it initially with a spoon, but that wasn't very effective so I then used a little plastic hand mixer.

2. Are there any other ingredients in the niacinamide pills? Sometimes there are non-active ingredients in the pill or the coating of the pill. Maybe those are causing a problem?

The only other ingredients in the pills are gelatin, water, and magnesium stearate. I'm guessing the gelatin was in the capsule coatings, which I didn't use, and water probably has no effect...the magnesium stearate however I have no idea about.

3. Did you change anything else about your regimen when you started using the niacinamide, or even a few weeks before you starting using it? Did it replace another product in your regimen?

I didn't get any purging.....however(!)....

It is always recommended to give topicals several weeks to show an improvement. You were using BP, which is a pretty harsh chemical, and basically quit it cold turkey. Maybe your skin simply couldn't cope with the change.

I weaned myself off BP onto nicotinamide by gradually using less BP and more niacinamide each time. It took me about 3 months in total, but only because I was scared to do it too quickly.

When you were using BP, even though it wasn't 100% effective - it would still be working, and you suddenly stopped.

In my opinion, the acne has grown after you stopped the BP, and the niacinamide hasn't had long enough to start working.

Thanks--that does make sense. I figured I should have switched in a different way, but I just wasn't sure how to go about it, and my skin was having an increasingly worse reaction to the acne.org BP (I used proactiv before that with no problems as far as itching/irritation/dryness goes, it was just too expensive). I don't think I could have taken another 3 months of that stuff! (Sorry..I know a lot of people here love Dan's BP, but it really made my skin unhappy...don't hate me)

I never thought that switching abruptly may have affected my skin that way, so I will definitely give my skin a while longer to improve. It does seem to be getting better from where it was a week or two ago. (YAY)

If you don't mind me asking, what brand/where do you get your niacinamide? The version I make is ok, but it leaves lines and patches of hardened white stuff on my face which is pretty inconvenient for wearing during the day.

Thanks--that does make sense. I figured I should have switched in a different way, but I just wasn't sure how to go about it, and my skin was having an increasingly worse reaction to the acne.org BP (I used proactiv before that with no problems as far as itching/irritation/dryness goes, it was just too expensive). I don't think I could have taken another 3 months of that stuff! (Sorry..I know a lot of people here love Dan's BP, but it really made my skin unhappy...don't hate me)

I never thought that switching abruptly may have affected my skin that way, so I will definitely give my skin a while longer to improve. It does seem to be getting better from where it was a week or two ago. (YAY)

If you don't mind me asking, what brand/where do you get your niacinamide? The version I make is ok, but it leaves lines and patches of hardened white stuff on my face which is pretty inconvenient for wearing during the day.

Years ago I switched from Oxy On the spot BP to Dans. I found Dans was harsher on my skin initially, and suffered a breakout, but then calmed down and worked just as well, if not better that the Oxy stuff. It always takes time for your skin to get used to something, even if it's just switching between different brands of BP.

For come reason, in the last year, the BP seemed to stop working as effectively for me. I tried doing it by the book, however nothing seemed to work better. I'd always looked for something to move onto after BP, as I don't believe it's good for your skin to be using a chemical such as BP for so many years.

I'm in the Uk so i use a brand called Nicam Gel, which is also marketed as Freederm over here. I moisturise after using it though, are you doing the same? Mine would leave lines like you describe if I don't moisturise. I don't need too much, just a small amount, but Nicam Gel is slightly drying (Willow suspects due to the alcohol content) so some is needed. It's always advisable to keep your skin moisturised anyway.

Stick with it though. It's not a miracule cure, but for me, it's just as effective as BP (if not more), and doesn't have the same drying and irritating effect. And doesn't bleach your clothes either.

Edited by Crooked I

Woah, "I used a 30gram:1oz conversion, and then multiplied the result by 0.05 (5%). I decided to start with 8oz of aloe vera just to be on the safe side, so I came up with 12 grams of niacinamide or 24 500mg pills. I mixed it initially with a spoon, but that wasn't very effective so I then used a little plastic hand mixer."

I'm pretty sure you're using more than 5% and the PH is probably off and that's why you're getting a bad reaction. You should be using 1.5 teaspoons of powdered niacinamide in 4 oz of witch hazel, water, glycerin or aloe, etc. You're using way too much of niacinamide. In my toner, I used maybe 3 or 4 pills of 500mg capsules. I don't remember the exact, but I used a measuring spoon. Also, you have to change your batch because there are no preservatives.

I got a really bad breakout after stopping use of BP. I think that may be the reason you broke out.

I'm pretty sure you're using more than 5% and the PH is probably off and that's why you're getting a bad reaction. You should be using 1.5 teaspoons of powdered niacinamide in 4 oz of witch hazel, water, glycerin or aloe, etc. You're using way too much of niacinamide. In my toner, I used maybe 3 or 4 pills of 500mg capsules. I don't remember the exact, but I used a measuring spoon. Also, you have to change your batch because there are no preservatives.

Where did you get this conversion? The 30g:1oz is a legit conversion, and I did the 5% calculation several times. I think it may just sound like a lot because I was using 8 ounces, but I'm nearly certain it's correct. I've just never heard of using teaspoons as a medical or scientific measurement, because they only measure volume (v. weight), however compared to other substances with known teaspoons-to-grams values (like sugar) it sounds like I would have been using 3 teaspoons or so anyway (double yours for 8oz). The aloe was supposed to last for a while in the fridge, but still I'd say you are probably right about making smaller batches.

why would nianicimde purge skin, i dont think it exfolaites really

i have no idea why or if it would (which is why I started the thread...), all I knew was i got clear initially, and then i started getting strange breakouts in strange places.

I got a really bad breakout after stopping use of BP. I think that may be the reason you broke out.

The bp wasn't working either. I don't want to get into my whole acne history here, but I was breaking out pretty badly, with no improvement, the entire time i tried the acne.org bp (6-8 months, can't remember exactly). then it seemed to improve when I started this stuff--that's what confused me.

but i guess the bottom line, and the answer to my question, was that the stuff just wasn't working. i used it for a couple months after i last posted, and after seeing no improvement--that is, i was continuing to break out and the pimples i'd had all along, for 4 months, were not going away at all--i got really frustrated and decided to give my skin a break from chemicals altogether. i wouldn't say i am clear now by any means, but my skin also isn't any worse than it was when i was using bp, AHA, or niacinamide...in fact, it didn't get worse at all and is slowly getting clearer.

sorry for the long post, just thought maybe i should update that i had kind of answered my own question :cool: if this stuff worked for other folks that's awesome, it just didn't work for me.

just buy vivant total aloe, call them and ask them percent in it and post it 18009vivant.

i wouldnt do it homemade